02-07-2011 06:18 PM
645 ... 23456 ...
tools
    The way I see it, when I bought my fascinate, I knew what it had and what was possibly on the horizon. Also, I was acutely aware that promises by carriers and our manufacturers are to be taken with a grain of salt. So yes, I'd like froyo and flash support other than skyfire. However, I have nobody else to blame but myself if I'm unsatisfied with the phone I chose to buy. In the meantime, I suggest maybe rooting and debloating the phone... It fixed almost all the quirks I had issues with.
    12-03-2010 01:29 PM
    If you look at the Galaxy S support Twitter feed:

Twitter

every other tweet from Mary is about Froyo coming by the end of the year, not just for the Fascinate, but every Galaxy S phone in the US.

Right, but these tweets have been ongoing for 2 months... "Froyo will be available in the very near future". They are intentionally very vague and to me, that's misleading costumers who may have chosen a different phone instead of waiting 3 months for Samsung to upgrade the software. Every month there is a new rumor "it'll be the fist of November, end of November, beginning of December, end of December". As customers who purchased these devices at a premium Samsung ought to either put an end to these rumors by disclosing exactly when we will be getting a software upgrade or telling us that we simply aren't getting one. Right now, my fascinate is an ok phone with a lot of potential to be a kick *** phone... but that's all it's got, potential. When I purchased this phone, I bought the service as well as a device.
    12-03-2010 03:31 PM
    This same line of "Verizon doesn't support these phones/they'll never update" complaints happened damn near daily on the Storm/Storm 2 forums over at Crackberry. The Storm was a much more maligned device than the Fascinate (the Fascinate's only major complaint is the inclusion of Bing, which IMO is a stupid stupid reason to give a phone negative marks), yet Verizon updated the Storm to OS 5.0 and then some, and is still updating the Storm 2.

To suggest Verizon and/or Samsung are NOT going to update this phone is simply absurd. Verizon makes their money off of the contracts, and the last thing they want is people leaving them because they're pissed their phone didn't get an update while the device on other carriers did. They'll take their time, because their network is their baby, and they want it to be as close to perfect as they can get it (even if it's at the expense of some other features on a device, like OpenGL and Bedside mode on the Storm 2), but they'll get it done.

Samsung is clearly rolling out updates, you can bet since the i9000 devices are getting theirs, the GSM carriers likely are already in the final phases of testing. The CDMA guys should be following shortly.

Samsung and Verizon CANNOT accurately predict a release, anyone who's dealt with software knows this. When you do force a date, you run the risk of releasing buggy/shoddy software (like the OS on the Storm at launch), or if you miss the date, or have to delay it, you get a bunch of pissed off customers raising hell... it's a potential lose/lose situation. The best they can do is give a vague time frame, and even those have an asterisk next to them.
    12-03-2010 04:08 PM
    Right, but these tweets have been ongoing for 2 months... "Froyo will be available in the very near future". They are intentionally very vague and to me, that's misleading costumers who may have chosen a different phone instead of waiting 3 months for Samsung to upgrade the software. Every month there is a new rumor "it'll be the fist of November, end of November, beginning of December, end of December". As customers who purchased these devices at a premium Samsung ought to either put an end to these rumors by disclosing exactly when we will be getting a software upgrade or telling us that we simply aren't getting one. Right now, my fascinate is an ok phone with a lot of potential to be a kick *** phone... but that's all it's got, potential. When I purchased this phone, I bought the service as well as a device.
    I stress again that this is not a huge Samsung issue at this point. The update has been pushed to Carriers, we've already seen it with leaks and with it being available in other areas of the world. I'm not going to sit here and bash Verizon though, either. Obviously it's frustrating waiting for an update for so long, but to be completely fair for the most part I am getting exactly what I paid for. It is a matter of time of WHEN we get Froyo, not if. It will be coming.

Unfortunately, until then anyone's guess is as good as mine.
    12-03-2010 04:59 PM
    Coming from a Droid X with 2.2, I can tell you that Fascinate w/2.1 > Droid X w/2.2 It's not even a contest. Between all the bugs and the lag on the X (yes, I know we have lag, but believe me when I tell you the X is worse) you couldn't pay me to go back to it.

Don't get me wrong... I WANT FroYo, but I'd rather wait that install the steaming pile of poo that is 2.2 on the Droid X
    I agree, my Fascinate runs so much smoother than my Droid X. And im sure if you are not happy with the Fascinate running 2.1 you wont be happy with any android device .
    12-03-2010 07:16 PM
    That's all fine and dandy. But some of us can't afford to upgrade to a new phone every 6 months, or even a year.

The point that I'm trying to make is that we purchased a heavily subsidized phone, and don't want to see it tossed aside. Its an amazing phone but it seems that even the original Droid is getting way more attention.

For me, I understand thay froyo will not bring amazing new things to the table, but its the principle. I just bought this thing a month and a half ago and feel like we're being left in the dust.

via Tapatalk on my Fascinate
    12-03-2010 08:05 PM
    That's all fine and dandy. But some of us can't afford to upgrade to a new phone every 6 months, or even a year.

The point that I'm trying to make is that we purchased a heavily subsidized phone, and don't want to see it tossed aside. Its an amazing phone but it seems that even the original Droid is getting way more attention.

For me, I understand thay froyo will not bring amazing new things to the table, but its the principle. I just bought this thing a month and a half ago and feel like we're being left in the dust.

Froyo will however speed up your phone quite a bit. That seems amazing enough, considering the performance boost is huge and having Flash is also another big option.
    12-03-2010 09:14 PM
    Best phone I've ever had and up until now, I've probably replaced my phone every 6-8 months or so using other family member's upgrades. :-) Now that all converted to Verizon at the same time, that's come to an end. It's a good thing I really like the Fascinate as is!

Yes, I too would like the update, but wasn't expecting it to be on-time. I haven't had that experience with new phones or updates. I'm new to Verizon from AT&T, but on-time would have been a surprise.
    12-03-2010 09:38 PM
    It's not a big deal my Fascinate works great no issues at all and I can wait for 2.2 it will be here soon.
    12-03-2010 09:44 PM
    Best phone I've ever had and up until now, I've probably replaced my phone every 6-8 months or so using other family member's upgrades. :-) Now that all converted to Verizon at the same time, that's come to an end. It's a good thing I really like the Fascinate as is!

Yes, I too would like the update, but wasn't expecting it to be on-time. I haven't had that experience with new phones or updates. I'm new to Verizon from AT&T, but on-time would have been a surprise.
    Agreed. I still stick by my notion that this is by far the best phone I have ever owned, regardless of the Froyo and GPS issues (which there are remedies for if you know what you're doing). I'm more than satisfied with my Fascinate.
    12-03-2010 09:44 PM
    I just got a fascinate for free at best buy. Not too shabby. Scrolls way smoother than my incredible.
    12-03-2010 11:31 PM
    Agreed. I still stick by my notion that this is by far the best phone I have ever owned, regardless of the Froyo and GPS issues (which there are remedies for if you know what you're doing). I'm more than satisfied with my Fascinate.
    I still wish I knew why, some days, the phone just refuses to use the GPS. I am traveling, it worked great on the road with no problem locking on after being turned off for a while. I am staying in a high-rise, the first day I got here the GPS would lock pretty quick if I would walk near the window. The next day, it won't lock even if i am standing in the middle of the street. I was outside for 15 minutes and it wouldn't lock for anything. I bet tomorrow it will go back to normal... but it sure is annoying when it just decides on a whim whether or not I get to know where I'm at.
    12-03-2010 11:53 PM

Its about time that Google starts implementing easier ways for everyone to upgrade to the latest OS.

Actually this is something that Gingerbread is supposed to bring to Android - the ability to upgrade parts of the OS without upgrading the entire thing. This should help get updates out faster.

Sent by a little green robot
    12-04-2010 12:01 AM
    I still wish I knew why, some days, the phone just refuses to use the GPS. I am traveling, it worked great on the road with no problem locking on after being turned off for a while. I am staying in a high-rise, the first day I got here the GPS would lock pretty quick if I would walk near the window. The next day, it won't lock even if i am standing in the middle of the street. I was outside for 15 minutes and it wouldn't lock for anything. I bet tomorrow it will go back to normal... but it sure is annoying when it just decides on a whim whether or not I get to know where I'm at.
    No doubt that is annoying, and it sometimes seems as if you'd be better off if you had a GPS that NEVER worked rather than sometimes work. Alas, I will still take a very shaky GPS over a shaky radio, or many other issues that literally could cripple the phone to a very expensive paperweight.
    12-04-2010 12:09 AM
    here is my deal.

remember, what like 5 years ago, when the first rumors of this "android" thing were coming out? and the iphone was due to hit as well? it may have only been 3 or 4 years, i forget. but the point is, a lot of folks like myself (apple fanboys) were excited about the prospect of a truly open source, open developed device like this phone is "supposed" to be.

you all may hate the iphone, but dumb piping is one of the main reasons verizon wouldn't sign on with steve jobs. at&t were willing to become the first ever cell phone data dumb pipe, with zero control over the nature of their network. that is pretty huge.

now we have this amazing device. the fascinate. it blows the doors off the iphone 3gs at least, and in many ways stands its ground with the 4. but it gets hamstringed by crappy rfs and bloated to all hell by verizon. not to mention our "updates" have to go thru fifty hands to get cocked up before we can have it on our phones.

i pay enough to verizon for being held hostage to their network in the first place. let me have my damn phone without being all verizoned to death. if they can make bloatware not bugger it up, fine. but don't handicap the device just for some extra profit.

thats what windows is for.
    12-04-2010 10:24 AM
    I don't really care about Froyo anymore- I just want my GPS to work 100% of the time like my Droid's did. It actually locked on satellites with GPS Test yesterday and worked when I needed it to, but sometimes it won't recognize any satellites at all. I know there's a fix out there that I saw and I'm going to try to implement that to see if it helps. But still.
    12-04-2010 11:27 AM
    You know what I vote for Gingerbread - interesting read on the update
    http://zoknowsgaming.com/2010/12/04/...update-havent/
    12-04-2010 01:39 PM

Like I said during the podcast, on Thursday night, we were promised Froyo and we should get Froyo. If it makes any difference all prior phones had at least this much time pass between the phone release and the Froyo update. The X people in particular were especially peeved (and rightfully so). Anyway, this conversation has come up in every phone forum on this site. Based on what I've seen, it could still be another 1-2 months before we see it.
    12-04-2010 02:15 PM
    Like I said on the podcast, on Thursday night, we were promised Froyo and we should get Froyo. If it makes any difference all prior phones had at least this much time pass between the phone release and the Froyo update. The X people in particular were especially peeved (and rightfully so). Anyway, this conversation has come up in every phone forum on this site. Based on what I've seen, it could still be another 1-2 months before we see it.
    Couldn't agree more. I think the biggest reason people are crying about it is because other phones already have it. "They have it, why don't we?" People automatically think we are being left out in the cold. Because of fragmentation the logistics behind getting an update out to every model is a nightmare, and it's going to take time
    12-04-2010 02:21 PM
    here is my deal.

remember, what like 5 years ago, when the first rumors of this "android" thing were coming out? and the iphone was due to hit as well? it may have only been 3 or 4 years, i forget. but the point is, a lot of folks like myself (apple fanboys) were excited about the prospect of a truly open source, open developed device like this phone is "supposed" to be.

you all may hate the iphone, but dumb piping is one of the main reasons verizon wouldn't sign on with steve jobs. at&t were willing to become the first ever cell phone data dumb pipe, with zero control over the nature of their network. that is pretty huge.

now we have this amazing device. the fascinate. it blows the doors off the iphone 3gs at least, and in many ways stands its ground with the 4. but it gets hamstringed by crappy rfs and bloated to all hell by verizon. not to mention our "updates" have to go thru fifty hands to get cocked up before we can have it on our phones.

i pay enough to verizon for being held hostage to their network in the first place. let me have my damn phone without being all verizoned to death. if they can make bloatware not bugger it up, fine. but don't handicap the device just for some extra profit.

thats what windows is for.
    The control is also what gave verizon the widest, most usable 3g network and gave Att the opportunity to be the butt of jokes from Tmobile of all people...
    12-04-2010 03:36 PM
    Couldn't agree more. I think the biggest reason people are crying about it is because other phones already have it. "They have it, why don't we?" People automatically think we are being left out in the cold. Because of fragmentation the logistics behind getting an update out to every model is a nightmare, and it's going to take time
    +1. The speculation about Froyo reminds me of the discussions about when Verizon was going to unlock the GPS on the HTC Touch Pro back in 2008. They released the device in November, announced plans to unlock in December, confirmed they were testing a firmware update late spring 2009, and finally got around to unlocking that summer. Annoyingly slow as heck, but it happened.

Hopefully, we won't have to wait that long for Froyo.

(And believe me, after 10 years of Windows Mobile, this phone looks darn good to me, even unrooted and unupdated. Needs a few small fixes, but still...)
    12-04-2010 07:35 PM
    I don't really care about Froyo anymore- I just want my GPS to work 100% of the time like my Droid's did. It actually locked on satellites with GPS Test yesterday and worked when I needed it to, but sometimes it won't recognize any satellites at all. I know there's a fix out there that I saw and I'm going to try to implement that to see if it helps. But still.
    I agree with you, I don't care much about Froyo. My phone really flies on Eclair with the proper modifications. There is Skyfire for the rare instances where I feel like watching flash video. The only thing I'm really looking forward to is porting over the ROMs like Cyanogen etc.. with Froyo.

The GPS is pretty well fixed as far as I can tell in the leaked DJ05 update. Which is impressive, given I don't think the other Galaxy S phones have gotten a real GPS fix.
    12-04-2010 07:54 PM
    I am patiently waiting for the DJ05 update. I understand everyone is upset about waiting...but I bet the same people would be complaining if Verizon released it and it was buggy. Verizon is always going to be wrong no matter what they do. I hate waiting just like everyone...but I would rather it be good the first time. Blackberry had an update...it got pushed out too soon...and it screwed text messaging. So then it took weeks to fix with yet another software update. We will get Froyo I'm almost positive...its all in due time. But to think Verizon is just forgetting about the fascinate users is absurd.

And also...to the people who complain about the sales reps in the store...they are SALES reps. They (most) know nothing about software updates, release dates, hacks or anything other than pushing that contract out the door. And if they do give you some "insider info" take it with a grain of salt....

I don't want to sound like a jerk...and I hope this post doesn't come off that way. I just wanted to throw my $0.02 in. I bought this phone with bloatware and all knowing I would hack it. If I didn't want it...... I would have gotten an X (yuck)....

I think all this upgrade...froyo talk is making us all crazy.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    12-04-2010 09:58 PM
    If you're pretty savvy with this phone I don't believe there is much reason to wait anymore. The DI01 modem got leaked so you can go back if need be.

Although there is nothing wrong with prudence If you're not comfortable with Clockwork, flashing, Odin, the (small) chance of bricking your phone then by all means wait for the OTA.
    12-04-2010 10:13 PM
    I am also ready for FROYO. Can't understand what is taking them so long, but I got tired of waiting and went ahead and rooted my fascinate and I am glad I did it. Phone is absolutely flying. Turning quadrant scores of 2200 to 2400. Root it and be done with it. I know alot of people with DX's and their phones are still not right with FROYO. Maybe Verizon and Sammy are trying to get this release right!!!
    12-04-2010 10:20 PM
645 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD