02-07-2011 06:18 PM
645 123 ...
tools
    Where is our update. Its december now and I haven't heard a peep about any updates in a while. Last post I saw about one it was in october saying well have the update but the end of november. Well I don't have one and I know they have one more to push out before 2.2 but come on? Any one have any info. I'm so tired of bing. I hate how my google widget bugs out all the time and I shouldn't have to use a 3rd party app to use a feature every other android phone has.
    12-01-2010 03:19 AM
    I agree with you 100%. I figure one reason we are waiting so long is because of all the bloatware that's installed on these. And by bloat I mean the non-andorid stuff that's added.
    12-01-2010 03:45 AM
    I'm pretty that ill own the S2 or the Nexus S by the time they get around to giving up this update......maybe thats what they want
    12-01-2010 04:25 AM
    keep waiting, it won't come before feb 2011.

mark my words.
    12-01-2010 05:16 AM
    2.2? Hey, don't distract me, I am holding my breath waiting on this update thats supposed to fix all the problems with 2.1...
    12-01-2010 09:23 AM
    Well, not to bust your bubble but more than likely the next update you'll see still won't be FroYo, it'll be that maintenance update yet to be released...THEN FroYo (most likely).

Patience is a virtue...

...that most of us don't have
    12-01-2010 09:27 AM
    I've given up on it. I've removed the bloat so that made me happy, and the phone works fine for the most part. I've just accepted the fact we're not going to get it. I saw a post a couple weeks ago where someone said it would be nice if they skipped Froyo and we went right to Gingerbread. That would be pretty cool.
    12-01-2010 09:46 AM
    I've given up on it. I've removed the bloat so that made me happy, and the phone works fine for the most part. I've just accepted the fact we're not going to get it. I saw a post a couple weeks ago where someone said it would be nice if they skipped Froyo and we went right to Gingerbread. That would be pretty cool.
    +1

I'm no longer worried about Froyo. I have little faith in it coming anytime soon. Next phone I buy will have the most current os on it or I'm not interested. By then we'll be taking about Ice Cream.
    12-01-2010 10:09 AM
    I saw a post a couple weeks ago where someone said it would be nice if they skipped Froyo and we went right to Gingerbread. That would be pretty cool.
    ^this... but I know that would never happen. regardless of the fact that updates are slow, I still love this phone
    12-01-2010 10:11 AM
    first rule about froyo

don't talk about froyo
    El Jefe likes this.
    12-01-2010 10:24 AM
    Shoot...my Fascinate won't even take the little maintenance updates. It'll probably self-destruct if it ever sees 2.2
    12-01-2010 10:33 AM
    I'm hoping the froyo delay is due to VZW holding out for gingerbread. With luck we'll just skip right over 2.2. I'd prefer that to getting 2.2 then not getting gingerbread at all.
    12-01-2010 10:54 AM
    I'm hoping the froyo delay is due to VZW holding out for gingerbread. With luck we'll just skip right over 2.2. I'd prefer that to getting 2.2 then not getting gingerbread at all.
    Given that the options at this moment seem to be a) stick with 2.1 and some underground modifications to get it running smooth or b) get an official 2.2 like the Driod X and have it work like trash no matter how hard you try... I will stick with option A. Hopefully VZ is learning enough about how no to deploy 2.2 that when we do get it things will be so unbelievably awesome that I can throw away my laptop, desktop, and my car and my phone will do EVERYTHING i could ever want...
    12-01-2010 11:33 AM
    Given that the options at this moment seem to be a) stick with 2.1 and some underground modifications to get it running smooth or b) get an official 2.2 like the Driod X and have it work like trash no matter how hard you try... I will stick with option A. Hopefully VZ is learning enough about how no to deploy 2.2 that when we do get it things will be so unbelievably awesome that I can throw away my laptop, desktop, and my car and my phone will do EVERYTHING i could ever want...
    Or how about option c) Go back to my Original Driod: http://www.androidcentral.com/origin...ot-gingerbread. 2.2 ran great on this phone for me, and I had no issues. And this mini-update is no big deal, but at least they are still updating it.
    12-01-2010 11:50 AM
    I could not agree more with NickA.

GPS on original Droid, worked great

Very little lag

Samsung is treating us like garbage.
    12-01-2010 12:00 PM
    first rule about froyo

don't talk about froyo

bump

+1

word
    12-01-2010 01:47 PM
    I think we'll see it before Christmas. The leaked update is 95% fine, and GPS is 100% perfect. They have zero excuses to not release it - especially with the existing release having a pretty much worthless GPS. If nothing else they should roll out whatever they did to fix the GPS immediately.
    12-01-2010 03:08 PM
    I'm very happy with the phone as-is. I'm going to go DJ05 to just fix the one thing that really bothers me (GPS).
    12-01-2010 03:37 PM
    I so hope you're right, but I've been burned several times by VZW rolling out a phone, supporting it for a month and then abandoning it for the rest of my two year renewal. I only get phones now that I am comfortable with on Day 1, without any further fixes or upgrades. Thankfully, the few issues with the Fascinate don't bother me, so any firmware and OS upgrades are all gravy. I know that many others feel differently, though, and rightly so.

12-01-2010 03:38 PM
    If Froyo was next, I wouldn't think there would be a test build out there without it, but I could be wrong.
    12-01-2010 04:02 PM
    I've come to the sad conclusion that VZW gives priority to the Droid line of phones, every other phone gets second billing. They get updates sooner, better marketing, everything. If this had been the Samsung Galaxy Droid we'd probably have Froyo by now.
    12-01-2010 04:46 PM
    It's actually curious that the Fascinate didn't get any sort of Droid branding. I was kinda taken back by that.
    12-01-2010 04:51 PM
    I swear it's like VZW didn't really want it, but took it because all the other carriers were getting one. VZW was the last of the major carriers to get a Galaxy S and it seems that it still has that last position within VZW. Despite being as powerful and full featured as their other big phones, it just gets ignored.
    12-01-2010 04:57 PM
    I don't know if any of us will ever TRULY understand the "brains" behind the operations at Big Red, especially when it comes to updates to phones, branding and marketing. It's frustrating, absolutely. But knowing everything I do, I'd still buy my Fascinate all over again if it came down to it.
    12-01-2010 05:00 PM
    It's actually curious that the Fascinate didn't get any sort of Droid branding. I was kinda taken back by that.
    Chris,

I believe this was a choice of samsung, since it was trying to keep the Galaxy S Moniker. Branding it a droid would have detracted from the fact that it was part of the Galaxy S series of phones.
    12-01-2010 05:05 PM
645 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD