Gingerbread SDK released

jrs1035

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus S was officially announced as well. It blows my mind that it's a Samsung phone running 2.3 out of the gate and we're still stuck with 2.1.

str8ballin81

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus S was officially announced as well. It blows my mind that it's a Samsung phone running 2.3 out of the gate and we're still stuck with 2.1.

i agree its pretty sad...Maybe we'll get a Christmas surprise and go straight to gingerbread but I'm not holding my breath that we'll EVER even get there.

brackett5

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
i agree its pretty sad...Maybe we'll get a Christmas surprise and go straight to gingerbread but I'm not holding my breath that we'll EVER even get there.

Yeah, that will never happen. I dont think the fascinate will get 2.3 at all if you ask me. I can only hope im wrong and because Samsung is going to be the franchise device for Gingerbread maybe they would show some love, but I doubt this highly.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Agreed as well. 1 major software update is all you'll get. From there, if you want more, you need to upgrade your device. Just like when BB OS5 came out. Most older BB's got it as well, but they sure aren't going to get OS6 now.

jrs1035

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately the carriers realize your hardware will more than likely not become obsolete within 2 years so the only way to get get you to upgrade is the promise of the latest/greatest software (on a new device). I guess that's one way to make recurring revenue.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I think "obsolete" is a loose term after 2 years then. Sure you're device will still work, but would I ever compare my 9530 BB Storm, which was the top device then, to a modern Android device?

jrs1035

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I think "obsolete" is a loose term after 2 years then. Sure you're device will still work, but would I ever compare my 9530 BB Storm, which was the top device then, to a modern Android device?

I guess I'm specifically referring to the Nexus One as an example - it came out over a year ago and it can handle 2.3. I feel like most high-end smartphones will come with atleast a 1ghz processor and ~512mb ram. I would think most updated software would be able to run smoothly on a phone with specs like that. Then again look how ios 4 crippled the 3g.

xgunther

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately the carriers realize your hardware will more than likely not become obsolete within 2 years so the only way to get get you to upgrade is the promise of the latest/greatest software (on a new device). I guess that's one way to make recurring revenue.

This original Droid is more up to date than ours. Sad.

via Tapatalk on my Fascinate

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma