OS question

blacksheepdj

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So I'm a total noob, but I'm slightly confused - what OS is this phone on? Still 2.1? Everything I've read tonight mentions how the phone shipped with 2.1 but "would receive 2.2 in November". Yet I see no mention of 2.2 actually hitting. Am I missing something, or are we still waiting?

I'll probably be going to check this phone out in-person tomorrow, but figured I'd start researching tonight...

Thanks for any help...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So I'm a total noob, but I'm slightly confused - what OS is this phone on? Still 2.1? Everything I've read tonight mentions how the phone shipped with 2.1 but "would receive 2.2 in November". Yet I see no mention of 2.2 actually hitting. Am I missing something, or are we still waiting?

I'll probably be going to check this phone out in-person tomorrow, but figured I'd start researching tonight...

Thanks for any help...

Its still running 2.1, we still dont know when 2.2 is coming,,,,yet this is a great phone, i own a Droid X and a Fascinate. and although my Droid X is powerful and fast at moving data, IMO the Fascinate is a much smoother expeirence. And after looking at the super AMOLED screen all day all other screens seem dull in comparison.

Hope that helped, if you have any other questions please let us know

Reactions: blacksheepdj

KH29

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for any help...

Yes, the Fascinate is still on 2.1 (Eclair). Samsung is supposedly going to release 2.2 (Froyo) on the Galaxy S to all US carriers by the end of the year, but other than that there is no definite date. It's beginning to look like we will not see it until sometime next year.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
As of now, it is still running 2.1. We're unsure when exactly we'll be receiving 2.2 but there's a good chance we're getting closer to that date.

You can check out this thread for all of the latest talk on FroYo for the Fascinate.

Welcome to the forums!

blacksheepdj

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you to everyone. Good to hear the positive reviews. I was not impressed with Eclair on my Eris, but it sounds like the Fascinate is a very different experience. I'm really starting to lean towards the Fascinate (where as 2 hours ago, I was 100% getting the Droid X).

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thank you to everyone. Good to hear the positive reviews. I was not impressed with Eclair on my Eris, but it sounds like the Fascinate is a very different experience. I'm really starting to lean towards the Fascinate (where as 2 hours ago, I was 100% getting the Droid X).

Glad to help, and as for the Droid X great phone, originally i wanted it cause it was fast and big but the screen size was not enough to keep me especially when you see how dull it looks next to a samsung screen. when you go to the store, find to identical colorful pictures and put the phones side by side with the brightness on both of them turned up and you will see exactly what im talking about.

blacksheepdj

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Glad to help, and as for the Droid X great phone, originally i wanted it cause it was fast and big but the screen size was not enough to keep me especially when you see how dull it looks next to a samsung screen. when you go to the store, find to identical colorful pictures and put the phones side by side with the brightness on both of them turned up and you will see exactly what im talking about.

I definitely fell in love with the Fascinate when I first saw it (if only because it does remind me of the iPhone). The main reason I wasn't going to get it was the Bing issue. But as I've read more, it seems like that's more of a minor issue. Gizmodo's review of the phone basically makes it sound like Verizon gimped it or something. But as I do more research, it starts to seem more like a minor annoyance (if that).

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
They're both great phones, so you won't really be going wrong either way you go. Of course my personal recommendation is the Fascinate, but it's all going to come down to what fits you needs the best. Be sure to check out all of the info on both phones in the forums to get your fixings, and congratulations on whichever one you choose!

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
For future reference, you can check your OS (firmware), baseband, kernel and build by going to Settings > About Phone. Right now, everyone is running 2.1-update1 firmware and DI01 baseband and build. We're impatiently waiting for 2.2 and DJ05 to be released. Some aftermarket ROMs that rooted users can install are built on DJ05 code which fixes some problems versus adding features such as GPS fix times.

blacksheepdj

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
For future reference, you can check your OS (firmware), baseband, kernel and build by going to Settings > About Phone. Right now, everyone is running 2.1-update1 firmware and DI01 baseband and build. We're impatiently waiting for 2.2 and DJ05 to be released. Some aftermarket ROMs that rooted users can install are built on DJ05 code which fixes some problems versus adding features such as GPS fix times.

Appreciated, but I don't have the phone yet. I was trying to find out in advance.

But given the huge car repair bill that hit today, no Fascinate for me. :mad:

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Keep an eye out at Best Buy on Fridays. They run a sale where one phone from each carrier is free for the day. The Fascinate has been their pick a few times, but it has been a while so I'm sure it will be again soon. This is how I got 2 of mine. I'm waiting for the sale again so I can get a 3rd for my girlfriend.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie