Keep Droid X or switch to Fascinate

ich00#AC

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Just really looking for opinions.

I had an incredible that I had nothing but problems with, but I really liked the customization options in terms of different ROM's available for the Incredible. I now have the X, and while I like the larger screen, it just doesn't seem to have the ROM support that the Incredible had. Plus since the bootloader is locked on the X, from what I understand once Moto stops supporting it, that's then end in terms of Android updates I'll be able to get.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It's really up to what you prefer most. The lack of FroYo (for now) isn't going to be an issue for you as it seems you like to install custom ROM's anyway, and the Fascinate has a pretty good selection of those at this point. The screen is nothing short of gorgeous as I'm sure you've already heard.

If you're willing to drop the .3 inches of real estate, I say go for it. As far as I'm concerned the Fascinate is the best Smartphone available on Verizon.

Reactions: ich00#AC

chaddymoff

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I was in the same "Incredible boat" as you. Tried the X, but landed with the Fascinate. Just a few of the plusses that actually make me think I might keep a phone for a year or two: the screen clarity and brightness, responsiveness, GPS has been fine, Bing is a non-issue for me, fits in pocket without a lump at the top (DX camera), camera performance, size & weight.

I know as far as numbers, RAM seemed lower than some, but I simultnaeiously run Google Maps to navigate, Rhapsody bluetoothing to car stereo, and playing a game on a recent trip without a sputter.

This is, simply, an outstanding phone. (In my obviously biased opinion.) Good luck!

Joel S.

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I know as far as numbers, RAM seemed lower than some, but I simultnaeiously run Google Maps to navigate, Rhapsody bluetoothing to car stereo, and playing a game on a recent trip without a sputter.

There's been a lot of discussion that says the entire Galaxy S line has 512 MB of ram, regardless of what it says in the system settings.

Still, like you, I haven't had a single problem running multiple apps, and they all fly.

I opted for the Fascinate over the X because I didn't like the lump, the X was a little too large and industrial for me, and I liked the Fascinate screen better. IMO, 4" is the pretty close to the perfect size for a mobile display.

The ROM community isn't bad, my phone is rooted, running a custom ROM, kernel and theme, so yea. That said, there is a lot of ire directed at Samsung and Verizon because of the lack of Froyo. I'm sure it'll get worse, because with it rolling out to the Bell Vibrant, I imagine it's US GSM siblings (the Vibrant and Captivate) will be right behind it. The CDMA devices (us) will probably be last. :(

Still, Froyo will come eventually, and even with out it, this is a damn good phone.

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I took this leap of faith and after I landed gingerly I am now comfortable with my decision. I initially had the Droid X and when I came over to the Fascinate I felt like I was missing out on a lot. I was comparing this Galaxy S to my previous owned Epic 4G. Without Media Hub, .3 inches of screen, Google Search and sturdy GPS I figured I could stomach it and manage. So far so good. I love the way the device fits in my pocket and the brightness of the screen. Realizing that 2.2 is right around the corner (fingers crossed) I think I can wait for the Google Search and GPS. In my honest opinion I say go for it.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Fascinate is a good phone. there really aren't any major issues with the phone except the gps issues. The phone has good battery life, runs well and in my opinion is the perfect size. Samsung/Verizon seem a little slow on updates but for the most part it's great.