Fascinate or Droid X? That is the question

DAFFYDC

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello,
I'm counting the days in which I'll be eligible to part ways with my BB Storm. December 21 will be the day I can get myself a new phone. I'm leaning towards the Fascinate and I've been glued to this site keeping up with the news so I'll be ready for when the time comes. I've heard there were issues with the GPS, signal strength and overall call quality on the Fascinate that is giving me some doubt. The thing that bugs me the most is the lack of support that either Big Red and/or Samsung is showing for this awesome looking phone. Which makes me wonder if I should just get a Droid X (since it's running froyo, supposed to have better call quality and having a dedicated camera button helps too). I'm hoping that Fascinate owners can help me out. I'm not looking to root the phone. I love the Super AMOLED screen and would prefer Touch Wiz over MotoBlur. Have any of you experienced any issues with the phone and do you feel that the updates that were promised months ago are right around the corner and will hopefully fix any of the "bugs" that would make me feel a bit more comfortable making my decision? I've noticed a few people that have switched from a Droid X to the Fascinate. If so, why? I really want the Fascinate but I also want to make calls on the thing and hope I don't get a crappy signal. My Storm (while it sux) does have full bars constantly and it does work to make calls (everything else like the web browser sux). Sorry to ramble but I'm counting the days and can't wait until it's time to upgrade. Just asking for a few opinions.

Thanks!

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The biggest thing, get the phone that you are most comfortable with. I have the DX and love it. The onboard memory is big thing for me and that was a big factor for me. I was stuck with the Storm for a while so I understand where your coming from. As far as the user interface, I use Launcher Pro Plus and that helps with the "motoblur". I'll let the Fascinate users jump in on their phone, but for me I did like the overall feel of the X better. They are both great phones. Any other questions just ask:)

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
This seems to be a common question lately. Honestly, it all boils down to personal preference. Will the extra .3" of screen real estate be a big draw? Are you willing to sacrifice FroYo (for now)? Things like that, which are all things you brought up in your post. I don't want to alter your perception of either phone, they're both great Android devices. I can't speak on behalf of the Droid X, but what I can tell you is that at least for me, Eclair has kept me satisfied on the Fascinate because it runs beautifully, and for the most part, FroYo's newest features are not a must-have for me. That's what ultimately led me in my decision to purchase a Fascinate over the Droid X.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to have to agree with everything Chris said. As far as signal issues go, I honestly think people are just being a little picky. Yes I do only have 2-3 bars most the time, bit I also have not had any calls dropped, quality issues or no service. Therefore, to me, I don't consider the phone to have signal issues.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I find myself wondering this same thing tonight. I called Verizon trying to get my upgrade moved up so I can get a pair of phones for christmas, and the guy on the phone led me to believe that I could get the Fascinate on BOGO. After a 2nd call, and just about to finalize the order, he tells me the BOGO is only for the Droid line. So now I'm trying to decide if I, or my wife, would like the X, Inc, or D2G. The X seems a little big. Not so much for me, but I worry that it will be too big for my wife.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I always recommend taking advantage of your 30 day return/swap. Sure it will cost you 35 bucks, but if you are someone that keeps their phone the full 2 years, it's $35 well spent. If you are leaning towards the Fascinate, get the X first. That way you'll never have to wonder "what if...".

As far as signal strength goes, don't go by the number of bars. Go to your Verizon store and compare the actual signal strength with you BB. My original Droid always has a stronger signal than my Fascinate, but I don't notice a difference in call quality (neither does the person at the other end).

GPS is a major issue for some, not so much for others. There is a fix that's being tested right now and seems to have fixed the problem.

Samsung just said yesterday that Froyo should be ready for the Fascinate late December.

Go to the store and play with both phones as much as possible until you feel comfortable with your purchase.

DAFFYDC

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I like both phones. I like the Fascinates screen better. Blacker blacks and the colors looks amazing. I'd be watching lots of movies and YouTube videos on it. I'd also be using this in my car which is why I'm concerned about the GPS. I plan on listening to Pandora and XM though my car stereo too which is why I'm concerned about signal strength. I like that the X has a car mode that works with Google Maps. I read that the Fascinates car mode won't work with Google Maps but who knows if that'll change once the Fascinate gets Froyo. I know you can still install and use Google Maps but not if it's connected to the car dock (I've read the dock won't work until 2.2 comes out). I like that Froyo allows you to save aps to the SD card and it's supposed to make the phone run even faster. Having full Flash Support with Froyo is also a plus but I'd still be happy with the Fascinates browser. So as you can see, I'm still leaning towards the Fascinate. It's when the droid phones are getting all these updates to fix issues while the Fascinate isn't and Fascinate owners keep waiting. Then again, if there are so many updates being sent to the Droid phones, why are they whining about waiting for Gingerbread (seems like they might be having issues too). I keep bouncing between the two phones. I think I'm going to be more addicted to this site than I was with Crackberry. Everyone here has shared a lot of great and helpful information. oh.. and another thing that makes the Fascinate more attractive is the price. I couldn't get it for $1 on BlackFriday but Best Buy is selling it for $99 and hopefully it'll still be on sale in the next couple of weeks. Chris K, I noticed you're soldier and I salute you and thank you for your service to our country.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like to me you would be happy with the Fascinate, if froyo is the only thing holding you up I would go for the Fascinate. I have found that the Pandora app runs much better on Android than it did on my BB. You should have no problems with that.

As far as Droid owners whining about getting Gingerbread, we are impatient and want the next "bigger and better" thing. We will never be satisfied. As soon as we figure out Gingerbread it's on to Honeycomp:D I'm just happy that we get updates faster than I did on BB:cool:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I had both the Droid X and Fascinate, i just sold my DX today and sticking with the fascinate, im much happier with it. And my GPS always works, just used it to get me back and forth from Georgia.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Not to debate, but my fascinate gps was fail bow.....28 days......hope those updates diced that......my dx never had that issue......do, or do not yoda says.....

rcarter88

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I own both the DX and the Fascinate. I can say that I use my Fascinate all the time and barely pick up the DX. I picked up the DX after owning the original Droid and as soon as I saw the Fascinate, it was like love at first site. I love the amoled screen and being able to read the screen in direct sunlight is a plus for me.

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
When I came back over to Verizon I had my sights set on getting a Droid X and did just that. I was wowed by the large screen and I think the awe died down from there. Before I came back over to Verizon I was using a Samsung Epic 4G. The brightness of the screen, lightweight and fast processor had me soon as I took it out the box. I did my research on the phone and I read like most did that the GPS was an issue and that Bing was the search engine on there but that didn't phase me one bit...ok well a little. After going back and forth I decided to go ahead and get a Fascinate. So far...best move I've made so far. I missed my Super AMOLED screen. The processor to me isn't and wasn't that much faster if you ask me, only by a little. The thin sleek feel of it is what had me from the get go. Samsung Fascinate...DO IT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21