12-19-2010 12:38 AM
41 12
tools
    I haven't missed the LED as much as I thought I would. At first by habit I would look at my phone half expecting to see a green or red flash, but I quickly got over it. Like NickA said now I just wait for a vibrate or a sound. Occasionally I'll turn the screen on real quick to check if I missed something. But it hasn't been a huge deal to me, not as much as I thought it might be at first.
    Chris, how come you don't use NoLED. Alot of people talk about it using battery but i have not experienced any noticeable change in battery life.
    12-13-2010 02:14 AM
    I also thought I'd miss having an LED like my BB but it has not been a big issue. If I thought I may have missed something it was far from difficult to turn the screen on for a second to check. I now use BLN Control but that was mainly because I have a kernel that supports it, so why not? I like that much better than an LED though because the capacitive buttons are constantly on if there is a message. No more glaring at my phone waiting to see if there's an intermittent blink or not. One quick glance and I know for sure.
    12-13-2010 02:32 AM
    I was going back and forth between these two as well. I think someone could/should be happy with either. For me it came down to a few things.

X

• Has better build quality
    • Better hardware features - HDMI out (would never use, but ...), hardware camera button (miss this), multiple mics for noise cancellation more pixels in the camera and dual-flash etc.
    • Updated more regularly - officially Google - no Bing ...

In my opinion 4" is perfect and once I saw a Super AMOLED screen I was in love. I decided I could do without the camera button. I could do without the noise cancellation and notification lights (if I look at my phone I'm going to toggle the screen on and see any notifications) etc.

I love this screen and the Fascinate has good chips (especially the 3D chip) - I figured if I was going to have this phone for two years I planned on rooting and ROMing so OS update delays aside I thought I'd be better off on the Fascinate since the locked bootloader of the X has turned off many ROM/Kernal makers. Maybe someday it will be unlocked, but I knew I'd eventually want to o'clock in the future.
    12-13-2010 10:25 AM
    Button layout is also something I believe the Fascinate has an edge with. No camera shutter button, but I'm over that. The power/lock button on the other hand, because you'd use it so frequently, is big in my opinion. Any of the Moto phones (especially the X because of it's size), and the Dinc, seem awkward to have to press the button at the top of the device instead of the side like the Fascinate. I'm sure if you had any of them, you'd be used to it. But to me it seems clunky to reposition your hand on the phone just to turn the screen on. On mine, it's always right under my thumb when I pick it up.
    12-13-2010 01:49 PM
    Chris, how come you don't use NoLED. Alot of people talk about it using battery but i have not experienced any noticeable change in battery life.
    Ive used it in the past, but I didnt particularly care for it. I found the icons to be quite ugly, and even though its only meant to be an indication of a new message, Im incredibly OCD like that lmao
    12-13-2010 01:58 PM
    Samsung just said yesterday that Froyo should be ready for the Fascinate late December.
    I just want to point out that, if we're thinking of the same thing, that particular bit of information was spotted on Samsung Canada's site, and their version of the Fascinate runs on a GSM network (Telus carries it) and is already seeing Froyo leaks/builds over at XDA. Sadly, that means we can't put any faith in that estimated release since our's runs on the CDMA network. (EDIT: It looks like they updated the page to specify the Canadian GSM Fascinate, it used to just say "Fascinate")

Still, I'm hopeful we luck out and get to see it late December too, although last thing I saw that looked official said January.

On topic, I opted for the Fascinate over the X. I like the screen better, and I didn't like the lump, or the overly industrial feel of the X.
    12-13-2010 02:23 PM
    Last week Best Buy had the Fascinate for $100 now it's down to $50 this week. Wonder how much it'll be next week (the week I'll be eligible). A few people at work got the Fascinate so I had a chance to check it out some more and I've made my decision and will be getting one. I'm so confident with my decision that I just ordered a Ghost Armor full shield for it (so I'll have the shield ready to go as soon as I get the new phone). Maybe I'll post a review for Ghost Armor while I'm at it. Thanks for your help (along with some help from friends and co-workers too). Can't wait until next week. I just hope the price doesn't go up.
    12-13-2010 08:19 PM
    Don't worry. I can't imagine it would go up. If anything, at this rate, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's the Verizon phone they select this week for their Free Phone Friday deal since it keeps getting lower and lower.
    12-14-2010 01:13 AM
    I switched from an X to a Fascinate.

I liked the size of the Fascinate and the screen.

That said, the X was a smoother machine and I'm looking to try to trade my Fascinate to get back to an X.

So, there's that...
    12-14-2010 08:08 AM
    i dont have any major problems with mine. i dont use gps because i already have one lol, the call quality is good for me but the battery usage is the downfall.
    12-14-2010 08:45 AM
    For me... It's Fascinate, hands down!

When I look at phones now, I look at hardware. Rooting is becoming A LOT more user friendly and is surprisingly extremely easy with the help of online user forums and youtube; between the two, you simply cant go wrong.

That being said, I feel like the GPS issue is a bit over played. I use it all the time. The delay of turn by turn is in fact a few minutes longer (given on your location) than others, but it still shows the direction list (which will get you on your way).

Call quality is perfectly fine. Its on par with the droid X, and I feel like the Incredible may be a tad bit nicer. (Keep in mind; I have demoed all of these phones for at least 60 days or more.)

Screen quality Its all in the eye of the beholder. The X is by no means close to that of the Fascinate or the incredible. The incredible in my eyes is a better screen. The S-Amoled screen just over saturates the colors. It looks better than the other phones but to a trained eye it simply looks over saturated (which I happen to like).

The reason Ive chosen to stay with the Fascinate is this

It is imo the best all around screen available. Its not too big like the x, and not too small like the incredible. Its clearer, and better color than the X, not as good as the incredible.

32gb is plenty of memory for me, This is a mobile device. Taking your entire movie collection? There is nothing mobile about that.

The A8 is an awesomely quick processor. Id take on the X, or incredible any day of the week.

Its a thin light weight phone. Throw it in the front pocket of your dress pants and its not annoying. You also dont look super excited to see that girl from high school like you would with the X (though this could get you some big boy points if she was the class you know what..)

After rooting the phone, its a true pleasure to have.

The camera It depends but lets be honest... Most of the pictures stay on your phone for you to show to people. That being said, they all appear a lot better than the pictures on the incredible or X... Looking for a camera to make a photo album with? Stop being a cheap *** and buy a SLR or something of that caliper. They can be had on ebay for as low as $250 now.
    12-14-2010 03:45 PM
    There are very few differences in the phone
    screens are samoled or bit larger
    size is about the same
    camera fas has better still x better vid
    software is about the same, both are far from perfect
    so its just personal preference
    and 2.2 vs 2.1
    12-14-2010 03:51 PM
    The more you people talk about the Fascinate the more I can't wait to get it. I have a question about rooting. I wasn't originally planning on rooting the phone but it would be nice to get rid of all of the bloatware like VZ Navigator and City ID(who the hell needs that anyway?). If I rooted my phone, what then happens when 2.2 (Froyo) comes out? Do have have to "unroot it" apply the update then "re-root" it again. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm still a noob with android so I don't know much about "rooting", don't even know what a kernal is. One more week to go until I can get the phone. and my Ghost Armor is already on its way.
    12-14-2010 09:52 PM
    The more you people talk about the Fascinate the more I can't wait to get it. I have a question about rooting. I wasn't originally planning on rooting the phone but it would be nice to get rid of all of the bloatware like VZ Navigator and City ID(who the hell needs that anyway?). If I rooted my phone, what then happens when 2.2 (Froyo) comes out? Do have have to "unroot it" apply the update then "re-root" it again. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm still a noob with android so I don't know much about "rooting", don't even know what a kernal is. One more week to go until I can get the phone. and my Ghost Armor is already on its way.
    That's exactly what you're going to have to do. I'd also strongly advise you read this thread for the apps that are safe to rename/remove. As the article states, it is strongly recommended you also simply rename the files. They will need to be there when it comes time to update.
    12-14-2010 10:58 PM
    Well, the price at Best Buy just went back up to $100. I noticed Amazon Wireless had it for $39 plus I was thinking about getting the wife a DroidPro which is $50 at Amazon (plus Best Buy stopped selling the Droid Pro). Has anyone purchased phones from Amazon? From what I've read the process is pretty seemless. Plus we also save on our Verizon data plan because of where my wife works (these aren't company phones but we get a discount), wonder if we'll continue to get a discount if we get the phones from Amazon. I'd imagine so but not 100% sure.
    12-19-2010 12:07 AM
    You should be able to continue the discount because that's on your Verizon service, it has no bearing on where you get the phone from. Best Buy's web site is still showing the Fascinate for $49.99 at the time of this post, but I do see the Pro is no longer there. I guess people knew better . I've never been a fan of Moto and to see them step on RIM's toes like that is even more disappointing.
    12-19-2010 12:38 AM
41 12