Best Way to Increase Battery Life?

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently getting about 13-14 hours. That's with a little bit of talking, a decent amount of web browsing, and some Angry Birds throughout the day. I unplugged my phone today at 10am, and right now (over 12 hours later), I still have half a battery.

I probably don't use my phone as much as some others. With a little more use I can see it dropping a lot faster.

One thing I always do though, is I make sure my applications are always closed (End All through the task manager). I'm sure that probably helps a little bit..

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
One of the first questions I must ask is are you rooted? If you are, I would look into this thread about removing much of the bloatware that you don't need, this will bring some imrovements. Unfortunately, rooting and de-bloating is the most affective way to increase battery life. A lot of people also flash custom ROM's, which generally also bring better battery performance but I wouldn't recommend this if you're a newcomer. You really should get to know your device and read around about ROM's before you seriously look into flashing one.

As for non-rooting methods, there isn't much. You can tweak some of your brightness and screen-timeout settings.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Well now, let's not jump to conclusions just yet. Do you have any apps you have installed from the Market on your Fascinate? Do you have any Widgets running on any of your homescreens?

TedLWJR

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
One of the first questions I must ask is are you rooted? If you are, I would look into this thread about removing much of the bloatware that you don't need, this will bring some imrovements. Unfortunately, rooting and de-bloating is the most affective way to increase battery life. A lot of people also flash custom ROM's, which generally also bring better battery performance but I wouldn't recommend this if you're a newcomer. You really should get to know your device and read around about ROM's before you seriously look into flashing one.

As for non-rooting methods, there isn't much. You can tweak some of your brightness and screen-timeout settings.

Any cons of ROMs?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Any cons of ROMs?

It depends on what your tastes are. You do run a risk of bricking your phone, but thankfully there are a lot of ways to recover from that if it happens. I'd say that's the biggest thing against it, but for the most part people do it because of the positives that come from it.

kentster

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I think the biggest issue is cell phone reception. My office just moved and initially the cell phone coverage was awful. Because of that my Fascinate barely lasted 8 hours before falling under 10%. The company added a repeater for Verizon and now I usually leave the office with over 50% charge remaining. I use it throughout the day to read email and check my calendar. On the weekends I can take it off the cradle on Saturday morning and not have to charge it until Sunday night.

My advice is to look at your cell signal. If it is 1 bar or less then I would set it to airplane mode while you are in an area you can't get reception.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't last a day and I am not a power user. What has worked for you guys out there?

It's already been stated in this thread here and elsewhere in other threads on these forums, but the best way to increase battery life is to install a Rom and custom Kernel. Period. If you are nervous about Rom's you can just Root your phone and read up on how to remove the bloatware manually but it is much easier and way, way less work to just install a custom Rom. The Kernel is important too because many developers lower the voltage causing less battery drain. They also make the kernel's more proficient and efficient in task management, etc.

On my stock phone, I went from barely getting 7-8 hours of heavy use on my phone to 24-30 hours of heavy use on a custom Rom/Kernel phone. Big difference, huh? You betcha!

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently getting about 13-14 hours. That's with a little bit of talking, a decent amount of web browsing, and some Angry Birds throughout the day. I unplugged my phone today at 10am, and right now (over 12 hours later), I still have half a battery.

I probably don't use my phone as much as some others. With a little more use I can see it dropping a lot faster.

One thing I always do though, is I make sure my applications are always closed (End All through the task manager). I'm sure that probably helps a little bit..

i used to use a 3rd party task manager as well. i read from many posts that it is not a good idea to use them, nor is it a good idea to kill tasks. so i took the advice and let me tell you they were right. you see most of the tasks you kill will just start right back up again, taking up processor and you geussed it battery. i stopped using one all together and it does make a differance. i will say it was a hard thing to wrap my head around.

Reactions: fatkidkustomz