"Maintenance" update?

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey ya'll!
I know the Froyo update isn't out for us yet, but I was just wondering, I read a few weeks ago about an update, I think they called it a maintenance update, that was due to come out for the VZW Fascinate. I hadn't seen anything yet or any more info about it. Did I miss something? I'm about ready to dive into trying out a new ROM, but wanted to see what the status of any updates were before I dove in.

Thanks for all you all do! This has been VERY interesting for me, reading about the various hacks and customizations.

Bruce

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The maintenance update you're referring to is DJ05, which has been leaked and some ROMs have been built off it, but it hasn't been released OTA

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Not only has DJ05 not been released, but I've read it was rejected by Verizon...it did not pass their QC. There are issues with it. I think I saw mention of a DJ09 being out there somewhere but I haven't tried to find it myself.

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Not only has DJ05 not been released, but I've read it was rejected by Verizon...it did not pass their QC. There are issues with it. I think I saw mention of a DJ09 being out there somewhere but I haven't tried to find it myself.

You can get the DJ05 over at xda, but it did fail verizon's QC. Having a little familiarity with verizon's QC routine (work for a company who among other things happens to make smartphones), a lot of times this is because of a compatibility problem with one of the crappy VZW apps that get injected into the software before release. That said, DJ05 isn't perfect, but it is a big step in the right direction. So much so, that i chose to install it on not just my phone, but my wife's as well.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
You can get the DJ05 over at xda, but it did fail verizon's QC. Having a little familiarity with verizon's QC routine (work for a company who among other things happens to make smartphones), a lot of times this is because of a compatibility problem with one of the crappy VZW apps that get injected into the software before release. That said, DJ05 isn't perfect, but it is a big step in the right direction. So much so, that i chose to install it on not just my phone, but my wife's as well.

That makes a lot of sense. The funny thing is, at least in my opinion, maybe VZW should just update the darn app to make it compatible with a new release? Ehh, it is Verizon we're talking about here :p

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
It's vzw we are talking about... the people who think Bing and VZ navigator are great ideas... What else can i say?

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
The funny thing is they are spending money to develop these crap apps and no one wants them. No one wants them, they generally suck and there are free apps on the market that are better.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It's vzw we are talking about... the people who think Bing and VZ navigator are great ideas... What else can i say?

There is nothing wrong with VZNav. It's becoming more and more redundant as Google Maps is becoming better and better but I have used VZNav on other phones and actually works quite nicely.

Bing wasn't a bout what is better at all, it was about $$$ from Micro$oft.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with VZNav. It's becoming more and more redundant as Google Maps is becoming better and better but I have used VZNav on other phones and actually works quite nicely.

Bing wasn't a bout what is better at all, it was about $$$ from Micro$oft.

Nothing wrong with it beside having to pay a daily or monthly fee to use it. Same goes for crap like city-id. Why would I pay to use verizon's app when google maps works just as well if not better and is free?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Nothing wrong with it beside having to pay a daily or monthly fee to use it. Same goes for crap like city-id. Why would I pay to use verizon's app when google maps works just as well if not better and is free?

Some people like it better, others are afraid of Google sharing their personal info, and VZNav does have some things that Google Nav does not (ie different points of interest, etc) and really it's only been the last 6 months or so that Google Nav has caught up to the commercial clients (VZNav/Telenav). It's nice to have choice. The only thing I have against some of VZW's own apps is that they are sometimes burned into the ROM but their existence or even being bundled on new phones is not a bad thing. You may not use them, and I would even go as far as to say that most power users probably don't use them either, but there are plenty of people who do.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a question on that topic (VZNav compared with Google Nav). My TomTom just started giving me trouble (again) and I'm about done with it. I tried VZNav one time as I was impressed with the fact it includes Traffic info. I live in Houston TX where traffic is a constant issue. Does Google Nav include traffic too? I doubt it since it's free, but hey...can't hurt to ask!

Thanks!

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a question on that topic (VZNav compared with Google Nav). My TomTom just started giving me trouble (again) and I'm about done with it. I tried VZNav one time as I was impressed with the fact it includes Traffic info. I live in Houston TX where traffic is a constant issue. Does Google Nav include traffic too? I doubt it since it's free, but hey...can't hurt to ask!

Thanks!

sort of. you can tell it to avoid highways and tolls. other than the trafic google works jsut as well as vzn. oh yeah, its free. did i mention you dont have to pay a dime for it.

Reactions: brucedbr

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

it sure does do traffic... I am as impressed with it as I have ever been with any car gps.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Really? So, if there is "reported congestion ahead", it will say that, and maybe navigate you around it?

My current GPS doesn't do that because I didn't sign up for the service. But the one time I used VZNav, I thought..."cool!" That isn't a deal breaker for me, but I'd been thinking about either getting a replacement GPS that DID report traffic issues ahead or go with an app that did. But wow...if Google Nav does that AND it's free??!!

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Really? So, if there is "reported congestion ahead", it will say that, and maybe navigate you around it?

My current GPS doesn't do that because I didn't sign up for the service. But the one time I used VZNav, I thought..."cool!" That isn't a deal breaker for me, but I'd been thinking about either getting a replacement GPS that DID report traffic issues ahead or go with an app that did. But wow...if Google Nav does that AND it's free??!!

It won't speak out traffic congestion, but from experience it will automatically try and route you around the traffic the best way possible. You can also go into layers and "view traffic" and it will show you traffic (by using colors green, yellow and red) on your route.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
From what I've been able to figure out you would basically get an initial route. And I honestly don't know if that route takes traffic into account or not. While on the route if there is traffic information available at the bottom left of the screen will be a red, yellow or green light with an estimate of how long the drive will take.

If it's anything but green (and even if it is green) but anything other than green reflects a delay and you can press that area and it will take you to an "alternate route" display. You will then have 2 or 3 total choices (the first being your current route).

You can select one of the other routes while in this screen to see where exactly it takes you, and whichever you prefer you can select and it will update and take you that way.

This traffic routing only works on major highways and roads where traffic is available. So those of you/us living a bit further in the country can still get hung out to dry close to home.

I find the most recent version of Google Maps to be more intuitive for my needs. I struggled with the version that came on the original Droid.

About the only complaint I have, and I know this is personal preference, but I actually like being told when I've been rerouted. Sometimes I turn at the wrong place or whatever...Google Maps just "recovers" from that, but if you aren't paying close attention you could be "rerouted" constantly. I don't keep my eyes glued to the gps...I pay attention to the road. Having said that, I don't need a "REROUTING" announcement...I'd be happy with just a short, single tone. The tone would be the indication that I missed something. Or that it was telling me something was there that wasn't and I kept going the way I was going. The point is, I would like at least a discreet tone or something so I know.

Now...having said all THAT...this is awesome for free! It didn't use to get me where I needed to go but my confidence in it has gone up greatly the last couple of weeks. The only bad thing it has done is had me turn into a "neighborhood" that the road was equivalent of "off road". Thankfully that only lasted about a block...but I kid you not, ruts...holes...I had to maneuver through. If I had known at the time how to report it I would have.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Wow! That is awesome! I do recall seeing that overlay of the traffic, now that you mention it. I had totally forgotten about it.

Thank you all for your help! You've saved me a bunch of money as I was researching new GPS models, other than TomTom, since the last 2 I had, the screen started giving me trouble within a year!

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton