12-30-2010 12:55 PM
87 1234
tools
    I say we all storm into verizon and demand a new phone that holds true to it's advertisement. They say no we hold them to false advertisement. Just sayin
    You might need to switch carriers if you want that.

NS and N1 both use pure Android and no Verizon, ATT or Tmo bloatware. This is why it is taking so long. Samsung is telling us they don't know, cause they don't. VZW has Froyo and cannot get their crap to work on it. I don't blame Sammy, I blame big red. If I had known the NS was coming out, I would have waited to get a pure Google phone, but now I am locked in and VZW should care, but they don't.

We need to stop contacting Samsung and ALL start hounding VZW Customer service. They are at Fault, Samsung released Froyo to the carriers 2 months ago.
    12-28-2010 07:38 PM
    You might need to switch carriers if you want that.

NS and N1 both use pure Android and no Verizon, ATT or Tmo bloatware. This is why it is taking so long. Samsung is telling us they don't know, cause they don't. VZW has Froyo and cannot get their crap to work on it. I don't blame Sammy, I blame big red. If I had known the NS was coming out, I would have waited to get a pure Google phone, but now I am locked in and VZW should care, but they don't.

We need to stop contacting Samsung and ALL start hounding VZW Customer service. They are at Fault, Samsung released Froyo to the carriers 2 months ago.
    I agree and I know that. That's why I said we should storm into verizon. The only reason I haven't left is because there wireless coverage its by far the best. I laugh at my friends with I phones all the time cause they have no service.
    12-28-2010 08:05 PM
    I went to Verizon store today to ask them about a few things and I asked the guy if he knew anything about the update for the Fascinate. He said that Froyo is supposed to be coming out the next few days and that the higher ups had told the stores to start looking for the update on the phones in the store today.

Whether or not it will for sure come out before January 1st is uncertain, but from what they said at the store it is expected to be released sometime within the next few days.

Whenever I try to do an update it says "server unavailable."
    12-28-2010 08:25 PM
    I'm going to watch how the Nexus S & One get updates this year then decide if I'll get the next Nexus device. The development community seems to support these phones better too.
    12-28-2010 08:44 PM
    One thing I can say is the support reps probably won't know a release date until 2.2 is actually released. That is about how it works in the customer support business...at least that is how it is where I work. Customer support people are on the bottom of the food chain and they are most/always the last people to find out what is going on within a business.

So everyone can ask the Verizon reps and Samsung reps until you are blue in the face and they still won't know...lol

It just seems that is they way it works :/

K.
    12-28-2010 08:47 PM
    I have a fascinate coming in the mail to me after having to replace my Incredible 7 times. Now, I'm not looking forward to it, thanks to this post :/
    12-29-2010 12:07 AM
    I have a fascinate coming in the mail to me after having to replace my Incredible 7 times. Now, I'm not looking forward to it, thanks to this post :/
    Honestly Jeremy, you are getting the Fascinate at the best time. If Big red does manage a new years miracle and pushes out the new update, you will be running froyo in no time. Plus you have the full resources of the rooting, DJ05, and DI09 that people have discovered if you don't want to wait. The biggest issue with this phone has been some GPS issues and Bing, both of which have been circumvented due to custom updates. We mearly want what we were promised and are wining about it, Myself included.
    12-29-2010 12:14 AM
    I have tried to do a system update check for the past few errors and keep getting a "server unavailable" error... maybe they are updating the update server?
    12-29-2010 04:12 AM
    I have tried to do a system update check for the past few errors and keep getting a "server unavailable" error... maybe they are updating the update server?
    No. its been like this since november after the first update.
    12-29-2010 04:33 AM
    No. its been like this since november after the first update.
    Mine says no new software update available. Make sure that you are not using Wifi, for some reason it only works when I am running 3G only.
    12-29-2010 06:56 AM
    This was my 1st and will be my last Samsung, unless something dramatic happens. I love the form factor of the phone and pretty much everything about its physical features. I am not a huge fan of TouchWiz and so I am running ADW EX and so that is not the problem either. It is the whole way this has been going on since September that has me burned...If they came out and said this phone was only going to be on 2.1 and never get 2.2 I think I would be a lot happier, but the fact that they keep coming out with dates and the crap they pulled yesterday, I'm done.

So where to next......Probably the Moto Etna. Same size as the Fascinate but its Moto. I do not root anymore so I do not care if it has a locked boot loader and since I have paid for ADW EX and LP Pro I do not have to worry about BLUR!!!

Also going to get the Moto Xoom if it is the beast they are saying it will be and supposedly the phone and tablet have some kind of connection, like peanut butter and chocolate.....
    12-29-2010 07:04 AM
    This was my point when I originally replied in this post Chuck so I agree with you. It doesn't bother me the phone is running 2.1 as its plenty capable. It does bother me that there are problems/bugs with the phone that are well documented and there is no fix. That supposed maintenance update that would fix the gps, navigation buttons and some of the sluggish performance? Rejected by Verizon and we can only speculate why. And Verizon/Samsung have said since day 1 2.2 was coming. Strangely silent on both ends with big red focusing on 4G now and Samsung has an infinite number of tablets, Nexus S and new phones coming. So or only recourse? Samsung has fewer customers. LG, Moto and HTC will get my business from now on.
    12-29-2010 08:47 AM
    Mine says no new software update available. Make sure that you are not using Wifi, for some reason it only works when I am running 3G only.
    Not sure. I'm not using wifi and its saying server unavailable.
    12-29-2010 09:49 AM
    I still don't understand why this is such a big deal to everyone. It is a SOFTWARE UPDATE! The hardware is what matters. Software can always be changed. We will receive 2.2, and then from there the devs can do their thing and really make the phone shine. Every new phone that comes out takes a few months to get updates. Just ask any X owner how smoothly their updates go.
    12-29-2010 10:41 AM
    This is two 800lb gorillas trying to do synchronized swimming... Samsung may have done "their part" and produced a froyo rom capable of running on the fascinate, but that does not mean that it passed VZs tests. VZ is most likely not interested in putting in a lot of legwork on Android; they are going to get samsung to do as much as they will do with respect to bugfixes and improvements, then they will throw the latest NFS demo installer on there, a bing widget, and call it a day. Samsung is still the one writing all the code, and the two have to work *together* to get it done to the point of release. That is why there is so much delay... have you ever seen a gorilla try to swim?
    12-29-2010 11:06 AM
    This is two 800lb gorillas trying to do synchronized swimming... Samsung may have done "their part" and produced a froyo rom capable of running on the fascinate, but that does not mean that it passed VZs tests. VZ is most likely not interested in putting in a lot of legwork on Android; they are going to get samsung to do as much as they will do with respect to bugfixes and improvements, then they will throw the latest NFS demo installer on there, a bing widget, and call it a day. Samsung is still the one writing all the code, and the two have to work *together* to get it done to the point of release. That is why there is so much delay... have you ever seen a gorilla try to swim?
    I agree with this completely. Has Samsung taken a little longer than I'd like? Yes. But they have released Froyo builds that have ultimately not been approved by Big Red. Whatever that reason is, that's how it is. Personally, I think it's because Verizon's bloatware didn't play nicely with it, but hey what do I know?
    12-29-2010 11:12 AM
    ...But they have released Froyo builds that have ultimately not been approved by Big Red. Whatever that reason is, that's how it is. Personally, I think it's because Verizon's bloatware didn't play nicely with it, but hey what do I know?
    If this is the case, maybe Samsung will get tired of getting bashed and say something. Maybe that's the message they were sending with the ad from yesterday that said the Fascinate had 2.2. Maybe it was no mistake at all, but purposely put their to put some heat on Verizon.

If I'm Samsung, I'd want people to know my code runs fine, 2.2 and 2.3, and it's the carrier and their code that is the problem.
    12-29-2010 11:32 AM
    If this is the case, maybe Samsung will get tired of getting bashed and say something. Maybe that's the message they were sending with the ad from yesterday that said the Fascinate had 2.2. Maybe it was no mistake at all, but purposely put their to put some heat on Verizon.

If I'm Samsung, I'd want people to know my code runs fine, 2.2 and 2.3, and it's the carrier and their code that is the problem.
    If that IS the case and I were Samsung, I'd be pretty peeved too. I don't know what it is, but something is still telling me that the carriers are (for the most part), especially in Verizons case, more to blame. I love Verizon and I don't think I'll ever leave them, but they load more crap up on their phones than a dung beetle in heat. It ends up causing more problems than for what it's even worth.
    12-29-2010 11:34 AM
    If that IS the case and I were Samsung, I'd be pretty peeved too. I don't know what it is, but something is still telling me that the carriers are (for the most part), especially in Verizons case, more to blame. I love Verizon and I don't think I'll ever leave them, but they load more crap up on their phones than a dung beetle in heat. It ends up causing more problems than for what it's even worth.
    I dont know if i buy the bloatware story. How hard could it be to recompile the browser to redirect to VZ/bing, throw on the bing voice search apk, and load up VZ nav and 411?

Honestly, I cant say I have personally met anyone with a DX or D2 that has Froyo and says "hey this xyz feature is great"... For the most part they say either "this sucks" or "hey it does google nav and plays mp3s."

I would suspect that Samsung is trying a little harder than the rest of the crowd to bring some meaning to 2.2, and VZ knows that a release is expensive and they don't want to get burned like they did on the Droids, so they are a lot more hesitant to pull the trigger.

That, or (cue the scary music) they are working on a protected bootloader to stop people from rooting and running free tether apps... DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN
    12-29-2010 12:42 PM
    I still don't understand why this is such a big deal to everyone. It is a SOFTWARE UPDATE! The hardware is what matters. Software can always be changed. We will receive 2.2, and then from there the devs can do their thing and really make the phone shine. Every new phone that comes out takes a few months to get updates. Just ask any X owner how smoothly their updates go.
    I agree one hundred and eleventy %. The hardware is the reason i bought the phone in the first place, not the software issues (Bing, no Froyo, etc).

The DJ05 update fixed the GPS issue so the only "major" missing item is Flash (i think). I'll be surprised if the JIT complier really speeds up the phone that much, and if it does, booya for me.

Meh, wake me up when the devs got a hold to it. A whole lotta moaning/b1tchin/cryin about not much. Reminds me of reality tv. People need to chill and enjoy this phone - it's awesome. Don't take the lack of the "Almighty Frozen Yogurt" so personally. You'll live longer.
    12-29-2010 12:45 PM
    I agree one hundred and eleventy %. The hardware is the reason i bought the phone in the first place, not the software issues (Bing, no Froyo, etc).

The DJ05 update fixed the GPS issue so the only "major" missing item is Flash (i think). I'll be surprised if the JIT complier really speeds up the phone that much, and if it does, booya for me.
    I'm pretty much in agreement as well. Flash on the phone isn't THAT important to me, so now that my GPS is working reliable with DJ05, I have very little interest in 2.2 at this point. And I've not seen a single feature in 2.3 that really interests me either.

Even if I was permanently stuck at 2.1 on this phone, it'll do everything I want it to do for the remainder of my 2 year contract, after which time I'm sure I'll replace it with another phone. No need to get all worked up about it.
    12-29-2010 01:02 PM
    I'm pretty much in agreement as well. Flash on the phone isn't THAT important to me, so now that my GPS is working reliable with DJ05, I have very little interest in 2.2 at this point. And I've not seen a single feature in 2.3 that really interests me either.

Even if I was permanently stuck at 2.1 on this phone, it'll do everything I want it to do for the remainder of my 2 year contract, after which time I'm sure I'll replace it with another phone. No need to get all worked up about it.
    Exactly how I feel and I'm glad others feel this way too, I was beginning to think I was of a non-existent breed. This phone still does more for me than any other phone I've had, and I'm satisfied. I understand the frustration, but some people take it too close to heart IMO.
    12-29-2010 01:14 PM
    Honestly Jeremy, you are getting the Fascinate at the best time. If Big red does manage a new years miracle and pushes out the new update, you will be running froyo in no time. Plus you have the full resources of the rooting, DJ05, and DI09 that people have discovered if you don't want to wait. The biggest issue with this phone has been some GPS issues and Bing, both of which have been circumvented due to custom updates. We mearly want what we were promised and are wining about it, Myself included.

The biggest issue has not only been GPS and Bing. It lags really bad, and has a load of bug issues, that's a fact.
    12-29-2010 01:14 PM
    FWIW - I've seen this happen with every single Android update. This is a good sign that it's coming soon.
    12-29-2010 01:15 PM
    The biggest issue has not only been GPS and Bing. It lags really bad, and has a load of bug issues, that's a fact.
    i for one have not experienced any lag issues (and i have never used voodoo) nor bug issues with this phone. a few FC's here and there with a couple of added-on apps but it's been minimal. certainly no bugs with the phone itself. but i can only speak for me.
    12-29-2010 01:24 PM
87 1234