12-30-2010 12:55 PM
87 ... 234
tools
    Exactly how I feel and I'm glad others feel this way too, I was beginning to think I was of a non-existent breed. This phone still does more for me than any other phone I've had, and I'm satisfied. I understand the frustration, but some people take it too close to heart IMO.
    I agree, I'm pretty happy with the way this phone runs, however, I don't want to be left behind on the app front because I don't have 2.2. so far it's not much, but gmail and facebook apps need 2.2 to fully function.
    12-29-2010 02:23 PM
    Exactly how I feel and I'm glad others feel this way too, I was beginning to think I was of a non-existent breed. This phone still does more for me than any other phone I've had, and I'm satisfied. I understand the frustration, but some people take it too close to heart IMO.
    While i do agree with ya Chris in that since the DJ05 update has leaked the phone has and does work great. I alot of the issues and the complaining stems from the fact most don't want to have to void the warranty in any shape or form to have to get their phone to work to specs. While i also understand that dj05 is easy to flash back from...it involves a complete reset of your phone so you lose any customizations you might have made for preferences, along with any saved information on apps you have. I for one have beaten Angry birds once already and was working on three stars when i reflashed my phone and lost it all. Mean while the update is suppose to be seamless with little to no data loss. (keyword suppose before people start jumping). I don't know about the rest of the world, but i dont want to have to start from scratch again....just because Big red and Samsung are digging their heels
    12-29-2010 02:32 PM
    While i do agree with ya Chris in that since the DJ05 update has leaked the phone has and does work great. I alot of the issues and the complaining stems from the fact most don't want to have to void the warranty in any shape or form to have to get their phone to work to specs. While i also understand that dj05 is easy to flash back from...it involves a complete reset of your phone so you lose any customizations you might have made for preferences, along with any saved information on apps you have. I for one have beaten Angry birds once already and was working on three stars when i reflashed my phone and lost it all. Mean while the update is suppose to be seamless with little to no data loss. (keyword suppose before people start jumping). I don't know about the rest of the world, but i dont want to have to start from scratch again....just because Big red and Samsung are digging their heels
    Don't get me wrong, I think those are all very valid points and like I said I understand people's frustration. What I don't understand is people letting this completely ruin their experience, and saying they'll never buy another Samsung phone again, or comparing this phone to that phone. And what irks me even more is I know that once we get Froyo, it won't be enough. Then it'll be people complaining about when or if we're getting Gingerbread (which was never promised, btw).
    12-29-2010 02:42 PM
    The biggest issue has not only been GPS and Bing. It lags really bad, and has a load of bug issues, that's a fact.
    Lag isnt always necessarily the hard ware or the native software it can also be 3rd party software and conflicts. i never have any lag when im pure stock.. and ill tell you this much other phones have lag. Look at my DX that thing was so laggy and choppy even with Froyo. Everyone wants these updates so bad even if it makes the experience worse. look through our forums, DX and the moto's are pluaged with bugs. but as long as they get updates people are like oh its the best. meanwhile they loose all their videos and pictures if they can open their gallery at all. problems with exchange and mail syncs wifi.....buy yet fascinate is smooth as can be and people are screaming for an update that people around the world get and they are crying that its killing their battery and what not.

Android phones are extremely versatile and powerful phones so expect these problems especially when technology is moving so quickly im sure its not easy for a manufacturer to keep up.... And at least samsung knows better than to put out froyo when its not ready , or pull it when they find a problem...

when everyone gets froyo it will be a matter of mins before people are on the forums screaming to come back to 2.1 or to get gingerbread.

Sorry just had to vent a little
    12-29-2010 02:54 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I think those are all very valid points and like I said I understand people's frustration. What I don't understand is people letting this completely ruin their experience, and saying they'll never buy another Samsung phone again, or comparing this phone to that phone. And what irks me even more is I know that once we get Froyo, it won't be enough. Then it'll be people complaining about when or if we're getting Gingerbread (which was never promised, btw).
    Absolutely right. I'm eager to get 2.2 because of software limitations on things like Chrome to Phone, and I'm hoping that it will address the GPS problems, volume issues, and lags I've experienced.

But, I've been VERY happy with this phone. Not getting Froyo would be frustrating -- and irritating -- but not tragic.

Believe me, as a 20-year Verizon customer who has picked up as many phones through class-action suits and recalls, this is NOTHING.
    12-29-2010 03:17 PM
    I think people are getting worked up over something trivial. The same thing happened with the 2.2 update for the Droid 1 (my last phone). I kept checking for updates every day for weeks and was so excited to finally get it only to realize it didn't really change a whole lot. The only things really up front and noticeable imo were the Flash update and the ability to voice dial with a bluetooth headset.

When I decided to upgrade from my D1, I strongly considered both the Droid X and the Fascinate. When I decided on the Fascinate, I knew full well that it was still on 2.1 and there might be a lengthy wait for 2.2. In the end, I went with the Fascinate because I felt it was a better phone despite still being 2.1. So far, I'm very happy with my decision and am enjoying the Android experience far more than I did with the D1 on 2.2. I honestly have to say that I don't miss 2.2 that much but I'll welcome it when it does come out.

As far as the lag and GPS issues go, I haven't experienced these so far. The longest it's ever taken my GPS to lock on is about 10 seconds and has been dead accurate from there. The phone seems incredibly responsive compared to my old phone, although I suspect some of the lag from my old phone was caused by LPP. I'm currently trying out ADW.Launcher EX and am trying to figure out which one I like best. Probably won't settle that one until the LPP rewrite is done.
    12-29-2010 03:23 PM
    I don't know if it's been brought up, but I just thought about this myself. If VZW wants to roll out a system update for the GPS or other bugs along with the 2.2 update, that might be what is delaying it. Since all these other updates that have leaked have thus far failed their testing, that could be what the hold up is. Though why they wouldn't just push 2,2 separately is beyond me.
    12-29-2010 07:01 PM
    I don't know if it's been brought up, but I just thought about this myself. If VZW wants to roll out a system update for the GPS or other bugs along with the 2.2 update, that might be what is delaying it. Since all these other updates that have leaked have thus far failed their testing, that could be what the hold up is. Though why they wouldn't just push 2,2 separately is beyond me.
    It's been speculated a few times here on the forums, but it's still a good point. Verizon basically completely ditched the DJ05 update in favor of Froyo, at least it certainly appears that way.
    12-29-2010 07:43 PM
    I thought there was a different non-froyo update in the works first.
    12-29-2010 07:46 PM
    I thought there was a different non-froyo update in the works first.
    There was...it's build number was DJ05 (and another later version, DJ09 was recently leaked). But all signs are indicating that Verizon has ditched this maintenance update and are just going to package it with Froyo as well.
    12-29-2010 07:52 PM
    I would be most pleased if they released a non-bloated version... but that's not going to happen. I cannot stand having all that crap being forced onto my phone with no way to remove it trough the built-in app manage.
    12-30-2010 03:15 AM
    It's one of the many reasons I build my own computers. OEM computer manufacturers are worse about bloat than cell phone companies. Though at least you can format them and reinstall the OS with less hassle.
    12-30-2010 12:55 PM
87 ... 234