Samsungs Web Site is saying the US Fascinate runs 2.2

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
It has to be something with the carriers at this point, I think Samsung has done it's part. I don't know if it's some sort of business agreement or what, I just know it's ridiculous.

I agree. It's been proven that 2.2 runs on a Galaxy S phone. And Gingerbread does too (Nexus S).

bobbyworld

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Not a lack of advertisements without Flash

"you will be able to see advertisments on a new level in the form of flash"

With my Fascinate running 2.1 there isn't a lack of advertisements without Flash.

Seems all the majority of making Apps available for Android they are supported by Ads.

Hopefully ads will become more relevant, cinematic and interactive in the future.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
It absolutely IS coming.

Again, how is the lack of an UPDATE a sign that the PHONE isn't living up to it's billing? It was very clear what the phone was when you bought it.

There's no argument the device probably should've shipped with Froyo, but that doesn't change the above.

P.S. I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a shard from my Fascinate's screen than give Apple my money. :)
And that would be your right to do so. Have fun. As for me, I'm going to commit a sin here on AC, I'm going to compare the way that App.... Sorry I won't mention the name, updates their phones. Update is prepared, announced, plug in phone, done. Google, that is to say Samsung could learn a lesson about this. Make all the excuses you wish. But with every manufacturer of an Android phone making different phones with different OS releases, developers can't make apps that work with every release of Android. At some point they fix a cut off. Ask anyone with older Moto phones still running 1.6 OS. Are their phones no less capable? In some cases yes. But many of those phones could handle newer software. The manufacturer doesn't want to give it to them. They want to sell then another phone. Business is business. Its about the money after all. And Samsung already got my money so what's the incentive to keep me happy? I think I proved the point.

P.S. - As for that other company, my phone from them, that I still use on wifi, can use the most recent software updates they released. And that phone is over 3 yrs old! Google and its hardware partners better learn from that quickly.

bobbyworld

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Other company handles update

I have an iPod Touch that still lacks an update for the security flaw with PDF files because Apple has abandoned the OS/platform.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
And that would be your right to do so. Have fun. As for me, I'm going to commit a sin here on AC, I'm going to compare the way that App.... Sorry I won't mention the name, updates their phones. Update is prepared, announced, plug in phone, done. Google, that is to say Samsung could learn a lesson about this. Make all the excuses you wish. But with every manufacturer of an Android phone making different phones with different OS releases, developers can't make apps that work with every release of Android. At some point they fix a cut off. Ask anyone with older Moto phones still running 1.6 OS. Are their phones no less capable? In some cases yes. But many of those phones could handle newer software. The manufacturer doesn't want to give it to them. They want to sell then another phone. Business is business. Its about the money after all. And Samsung already got my money so what's the incentive to keep me happy? I think I proved the point.

P.S. - As for that other company, my phone from them, that I still use on wifi, can use the most recent software updates they released. And that phone is over 3 yrs old! Google and its hardware partners better learn from that quickly.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...the "They already have my money" argument -- although a good point, is not entirely valid. Part of keeping your customer base is to deliver on what you promise, and updating to Froyo was promised. Not to mention the fact that people will become more and more educated on Android as it gets bigger. Yes, to an extent that ideology holds true -- but only to an extent. Manufacturers (for the most part) like HTC and Motorola have eventually delivered on updates with Android to top-tier devices. That's not going to change.

Krook

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I say we all storm into verizon and demand a new phone that holds true to it's advertisement. They say no we hold them to false advertisement. Just sayin

ATRich0608

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
It absolutely IS coming.

Again, how is the lack of an UPDATE a sign that the PHONE isn't living up to it's billing? It was very clear what the phone was when you bought it.

There's no argument the device probably should've shipped with Froyo, but that doesn't change the above.

P.S. I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a shard from my Fascinate's screen than give Apple my money. :)

Amen!

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I say we all storm into verizon and demand a new phone that holds true to it's advertisement. They say no we hold them to false advertisement. Just sayin

You might need to switch carriers if you want that.

NS and N1 both use pure Android and no Verizon, ATT or Tmo bloatware. This is why it is taking so long. Samsung is telling us they don't know, cause they don't. VZW has Froyo and cannot get their crap to work on it. I don't blame Sammy, I blame big red. If I had known the NS was coming out, I would have waited to get a pure Google phone, but now I am locked in and VZW should care, but they don't.

We need to stop contacting Samsung and ALL start hounding VZW Customer service. They are at Fault, Samsung released Froyo to the carriers 2 months ago.

Krook

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
You might need to switch carriers if you want that.

NS and N1 both use pure Android and no Verizon, ATT or Tmo bloatware. This is why it is taking so long. Samsung is telling us they don't know, cause they don't. VZW has Froyo and cannot get their crap to work on it. I don't blame Sammy, I blame big red. If I had known the NS was coming out, I would have waited to get a pure Google phone, but now I am locked in and VZW should care, but they don't.

We need to stop contacting Samsung and ALL start hounding VZW Customer service. They are at Fault, Samsung released Froyo to the carriers 2 months ago.

I agree and I know that. That's why I said we should storm into verizon. The only reason I haven't left is because there wireless coverage its by far the best. I laugh at my friends with I phones all the time cause they have no service.

danielkx

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I went to Verizon store today to ask them about a few things and I asked the guy if he knew anything about the update for the Fascinate. He said that Froyo is supposed to be coming out the next few days and that the higher ups had told the stores to start looking for the update on the phones in the store today.

Whether or not it will for sure come out before January 1st is uncertain, but from what they said at the store it is expected to be released sometime within the next few days.

Whenever I try to do an update it says "server unavailable."

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to watch how the Nexus S & One get updates this year then decide if I'll get the next Nexus device. The development community seems to support these phones better too.

Dr. K_Xen

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
One thing I can say is the support reps probably won't know a release date until 2.2 is actually released. That is about how it works in the customer support business...at least that is how it is where I work. Customer support people are on the bottom of the food chain and they are most/always the last people to find out what is going on within a business.

So everyone can ask the Verizon reps and Samsung reps until you are blue in the face and they still won't know...lol

It just seems that is they way it works :/

K.

jeremybuff

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I have a fascinate coming in the mail to me after having to replace my Incredible 7 times. Now, I'm not looking forward to it, thanks to this post :/

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a fascinate coming in the mail to me after having to replace my Incredible 7 times. Now, I'm not looking forward to it, thanks to this post :/

Honestly Jeremy, you are getting the Fascinate at the best time. If Big red does manage a new years miracle and pushes out the new update, you will be running froyo in no time. Plus you have the full resources of the rooting, DJ05, and DI09 that people have discovered if you don't want to wait. The biggest issue with this phone has been some GPS issues and Bing, both of which have been circumvented due to custom updates. We mearly want what we were promised and are wining about it, Myself included.

zakth

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
re

I have tried to do a system update check for the past few errors and keep getting a "server unavailable" error... maybe they are updating the update server?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX