Samsungs Web Site is saying the US Fascinate runs 2.2

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
This was my 1st and will be my last Samsung, unless something dramatic happens. I love the form factor of the phone and pretty much everything about its physical features. I am not a huge fan of TouchWiz and so I am running ADW EX and so that is not the problem either. It is the whole way this has been going on since September that has me burned...If they came out and said this phone was only going to be on 2.1 and never get 2.2 I think I would be a lot happier, but the fact that they keep coming out with dates and the crap they pulled yesterday, I'm done.

So where to next......Probably the Moto Etna. Same size as the Fascinate but its Moto. I do not root anymore so I do not care if it has a locked boot loader and since I have paid for ADW EX and LP Pro I do not have to worry about BLUR!!!

Also going to get the Moto Xoom if it is the beast they are saying it will be and supposedly the phone and tablet have some kind of connection, like peanut butter and chocolate.....

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
This was my point when I originally replied in this post Chuck so I agree with you. It doesn't bother me the phone is running 2.1 as its plenty capable. It does bother me that there are problems/bugs with the phone that are well documented and there is no fix. That supposed maintenance update that would fix the gps, navigation buttons and some of the sluggish performance? Rejected by Verizon and we can only speculate why. And Verizon/Samsung have said since day 1 2.2 was coming. Strangely silent on both ends with big red focusing on 4G now and Samsung has an infinite number of tablets, Nexus S and new phones coming. So or only recourse? Samsung has fewer customers. LG, Moto and HTC will get my business from now on.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I still don't understand why this is such a big deal to everyone. It is a SOFTWARE UPDATE! The hardware is what matters. Software can always be changed. We will receive 2.2, and then from there the devs can do their thing and really make the phone shine. Every new phone that comes out takes a few months to get updates. Just ask any X owner how smoothly their updates go.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
This is two 800lb gorillas trying to do synchronized swimming... Samsung may have done "their part" and produced a froyo rom capable of running on the fascinate, but that does not mean that it passed VZs tests. VZ is most likely not interested in putting in a lot of legwork on Android; they are going to get samsung to do as much as they will do with respect to bugfixes and improvements, then they will throw the latest NFS demo installer on there, a bing widget, and call it a day. Samsung is still the one writing all the code, and the two have to work *together* to get it done to the point of release. That is why there is so much delay... have you ever seen a gorilla try to swim?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
This is two 800lb gorillas trying to do synchronized swimming... Samsung may have done "their part" and produced a froyo rom capable of running on the fascinate, but that does not mean that it passed VZs tests. VZ is most likely not interested in putting in a lot of legwork on Android; they are going to get samsung to do as much as they will do with respect to bugfixes and improvements, then they will throw the latest NFS demo installer on there, a bing widget, and call it a day. Samsung is still the one writing all the code, and the two have to work *together* to get it done to the point of release. That is why there is so much delay... have you ever seen a gorilla try to swim?

I agree with this completely. Has Samsung taken a little longer than I'd like? Yes. But they have released Froyo builds that have ultimately not been approved by Big Red. Whatever that reason is, that's how it is. Personally, I think it's because Verizon's bloatware didn't play nicely with it, but hey what do I know?

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
...But they have released Froyo builds that have ultimately not been approved by Big Red. Whatever that reason is, that's how it is. Personally, I think it's because Verizon's bloatware didn't play nicely with it, but hey what do I know?

If this is the case, maybe Samsung will get tired of getting bashed and say something. Maybe that's the message they were sending with the ad from yesterday that said the Fascinate had 2.2. Maybe it was no mistake at all, but purposely put their to put some heat on Verizon.

If I'm Samsung, I'd want people to know my code runs fine, 2.2 and 2.3, and it's the carrier and their code that is the problem.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
If this is the case, maybe Samsung will get tired of getting bashed and say something. Maybe that's the message they were sending with the ad from yesterday that said the Fascinate had 2.2. Maybe it was no mistake at all, but purposely put their to put some heat on Verizon.

If I'm Samsung, I'd want people to know my code runs fine, 2.2 and 2.3, and it's the carrier and their code that is the problem.

If that IS the case and I were Samsung, I'd be pretty peeved too. I don't know what it is, but something is still telling me that the carriers are (for the most part), especially in Verizons case, more to blame. I love Verizon and I don't think I'll ever leave them, but they load more crap up on their phones than a dung beetle in heat. It ends up causing more problems than for what it's even worth.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
If that IS the case and I were Samsung, I'd be pretty peeved too. I don't know what it is, but something is still telling me that the carriers are (for the most part), especially in Verizons case, more to blame. I love Verizon and I don't think I'll ever leave them, but they load more crap up on their phones than a dung beetle in heat. It ends up causing more problems than for what it's even worth.

I dont know if i buy the bloatware story. How hard could it be to recompile the browser to redirect to VZ/bing, throw on the bing voice search apk, and load up VZ nav and 411?

Honestly, I cant say I have personally met anyone with a DX or D2 that has Froyo and says "hey this xyz feature is great"... For the most part they say either "this sucks" or "hey it does google nav and plays mp3s."

I would suspect that Samsung is trying a little harder than the rest of the crowd to bring some meaning to 2.2, and VZ knows that a release is expensive and they don't want to get burned like they did on the Droids, so they are a lot more hesitant to pull the trigger.

That, or (cue the scary music) they are working on a protected bootloader to stop people from rooting and running free tether apps... DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN

Ytaay

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I still don't understand why this is such a big deal to everyone. It is a SOFTWARE UPDATE! The hardware is what matters. Software can always be changed. We will receive 2.2, and then from there the devs can do their thing and really make the phone shine. Every new phone that comes out takes a few months to get updates. Just ask any X owner how smoothly their updates go.

I agree one hundred and eleventy %. The hardware is the reason i bought the phone in the first place, not the software issues (Bing, no Froyo, etc).

The DJ05 update fixed the GPS issue so the only "major" missing item is Flash (i think). I'll be surprised if the JIT complier really speeds up the phone that much, and if it does, booya for me. :)

Meh, wake me up when the devs got a hold to it. A whole lotta moaning/b1tchin/cryin about not much. Reminds me of reality tv. People need to chill and enjoy this phone - it's awesome. Don't take the lack of the "Almighty Frozen Yogurt" so personally. You'll live longer. :)

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree one hundred and eleventy %. The hardware is the reason i bought the phone in the first place, not the software issues (Bing, no Froyo, etc).

The DJ05 update fixed the GPS issue so the only "major" missing item is Flash (i think). I'll be surprised if the JIT complier really speeds up the phone that much, and if it does, booya for me.

I'm pretty much in agreement as well. Flash on the phone isn't THAT important to me, so now that my GPS is working reliable with DJ05, I have very little interest in 2.2 at this point. And I've not seen a single feature in 2.3 that really interests me either.

Even if I was permanently stuck at 2.1 on this phone, it'll do everything I want it to do for the remainder of my 2 year contract, after which time I'm sure I'll replace it with another phone. No need to get all worked up about it.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty much in agreement as well. Flash on the phone isn't THAT important to me, so now that my GPS is working reliable with DJ05, I have very little interest in 2.2 at this point. And I've not seen a single feature in 2.3 that really interests me either.

Even if I was permanently stuck at 2.1 on this phone, it'll do everything I want it to do for the remainder of my 2 year contract, after which time I'm sure I'll replace it with another phone. No need to get all worked up about it.

Exactly how I feel and I'm glad others feel this way too, I was beginning to think I was of a non-existent breed. This phone still does more for me than any other phone I've had, and I'm satisfied. I understand the frustration, but some people take it too close to heart IMO.

andonakis

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Honestly Jeremy, you are getting the Fascinate at the best time. If Big red does manage a new years miracle and pushes out the new update, you will be running froyo in no time. Plus you have the full resources of the rooting, DJ05, and DI09 that people have discovered if you don't want to wait. The biggest issue with this phone has been some GPS issues and Bing, both of which have been circumvented due to custom updates. We mearly want what we were promised and are wining about it, Myself included.

The biggest issue has not only been GPS and Bing. It lags really bad, and has a load of bug issues, that's a fact.

Ytaay

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
The biggest issue has not only been GPS and Bing. It lags really bad, and has a load of bug issues, that's a fact.

i for one have not experienced any lag issues (and i have never used voodoo) nor bug issues with this phone. a few FC's here and there with a couple of added-on apps but it's been minimal. certainly no bugs with the phone itself. but i can only speak for me.

Last edited:

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Exactly how I feel and I'm glad others feel this way too, I was beginning to think I was of a non-existent breed. This phone still does more for me than any other phone I've had, and I'm satisfied. I understand the frustration, but some people take it too close to heart IMO.

I agree, I'm pretty happy with the way this phone runs, however, I don't want to be left behind on the app front because I don't have 2.2. so far it's not much, but gmail and facebook apps need 2.2 to fully function.

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

While i do agree with ya Chris in that since the DJ05 update has leaked the phone has and does work great. I alot of the issues and the complaining stems from the fact most don't want to have to void the warranty in any shape or form to have to get their phone to work to specs. While i also understand that dj05 is easy to flash back from...it involves a complete reset of your phone so you lose any customizations you might have made for preferences, along with any saved information on apps you have. I for one have beaten Angry birds once already and was working on three stars when i reflashed my phone and lost it all. Mean while the update is suppose to be seamless with little to no data loss. (keyword suppose before people start jumping). I don't know about the rest of the world, but i dont want to have to start from scratch again....just because Big red and Samsung are digging their heels

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
While i do agree with ya Chris in that since the DJ05 update has leaked the phone has and does work great. I alot of the issues and the complaining stems from the fact most don't want to have to void the warranty in any shape or form to have to get their phone to work to specs. While i also understand that dj05 is easy to flash back from...it involves a complete reset of your phone so you lose any customizations you might have made for preferences, along with any saved information on apps you have. I for one have beaten Angry birds once already and was working on three stars when i reflashed my phone and lost it all. Mean while the update is suppose to be seamless with little to no data loss. (keyword suppose before people start jumping). I don't know about the rest of the world, but i dont want to have to start from scratch again....just because Big red and Samsung are digging their heels

Don't get me wrong, I think those are all very valid points and like I said I understand people's frustration. What I don't understand is people letting this completely ruin their experience, and saying they'll never buy another Samsung phone again, or comparing this phone to that phone. And what irks me even more is I know that once we get Froyo, it won't be enough. Then it'll be people complaining about when or if we're getting Gingerbread (which was never promised, btw).

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Lag isnt always necessarily the hard ware or the native software it can also be 3rd party software and conflicts. i never have any lag when im pure stock.. and ill tell you this much other phones have lag. Look at my DX that thing was so laggy and choppy even with Froyo. Everyone wants these updates so bad even if it makes the experience worse. look through our forums, DX and the moto's are pluaged with bugs. but as long as they get updates people are like oh its the best. meanwhile they loose all their videos and pictures if they can open their gallery at all. problems with exchange and mail syncs wifi.....buy yet fascinate is smooth as can be and people are screaming for an update that people around the world get and they are crying that its killing their battery and what not.

Android phones are extremely versatile and powerful phones so expect these problems especially when technology is moving so quickly im sure its not easy for a manufacturer to keep up.... And at least samsung knows better than to put out froyo when its not ready , or pull it when they find a problem...

when everyone gets froyo it will be a matter of mins before people are on the forums screaming to come back to 2.1 or to get gingerbread.

Sorry just had to vent a little

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I think those are all very valid points and like I said I understand people's frustration. What I don't understand is people letting this completely ruin their experience, and saying they'll never buy another Samsung phone again, or comparing this phone to that phone. And what irks me even more is I know that once we get Froyo, it won't be enough. Then it'll be people complaining about when or if we're getting Gingerbread (which was never promised, btw).

Absolutely right. I'm eager to get 2.2 because of software limitations on things like Chrome to Phone, and I'm hoping that it will address the GPS problems, volume issues, and lags I've experienced.

But, I've been VERY happy with this phone. Not getting Froyo would be frustrating -- and irritating -- but not tragic.

Believe me, as a 20-year Verizon customer who has picked up as many phones through class-action suits and recalls, this is NOTHING.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084