Samsungs Web Site is saying the US Fascinate runs 2.2

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Spencer'

Spencer: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: Good Morning Spencer
Spencer: Very Good Morning.
Visitor: I am a little confused this morning
Spencer: I am sorry to know, may I know how may I assist you in clearing the confusion?
Visitor: Your website for the Fascinate is stating that it runs 2.2, but my Verizon Fascinate is running 2.1 and InnoPath ActiveCare is saying there is no software update available when I check for updates
Visitor: I called Verizon and they are saying that the current version is 2.1 and that they do not have a date for 2.2, just states that it is coming soon
Spencer: Yes, Samsung is about to release the Android 2.2 update you will receive the update over the air soon in a phased manner.
Spencer: I regret that there is no ETA available with us for the same.
Visitor: So how is it acceptable to state that 2.2 is the OS if it has not been released yet and you guys do not have an eta?
Visitor: Are you saying that people should start receiving the update today or that they already have?
Spencer: You will receive the update soon I am sorry to inform that there is no ETA available as of now.
Visitor: That is very confusing, but okay...So has it been pushed to anyone yet or not yet
Spencer: No it is not been pushed to any one as of now.
Visitor: Okay so if I were to buy a phone on your website today, would it come with 2.2?
Spencer: To get the information on availability of the phone in the market you need to contact our voice support team.
Visitor: Ok thank you Spencer
Spencer: You can reach Samsung department for mobile phone for Galaxy helpline contact number: 1-877-EZ2GALAXY (1-877-392-4252). 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. CST, Sat. 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. CST.
Spencer: My pleasure.
Spencer: Is there anything else I may assist you with?
Visitor: Have a great day and here is hoping I get an update soon :)
Spencer: Thank you and you too.
Spencer: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

Last edited:

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Chuck. I went and talked to another agent, since I can't call at work, and got a similar story, but some more information that people might like or might not. I got kinda iritated during it, but i can be hotheaded at times. Here is to hoping a quick update. I kinda feel bad for the Support people because it seems they are given very limited information on this as we are, or they are good at playing dumb.

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Stella'
Stella: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: Greetings Stella,
Stella: Thank you.
Visitor: I was browsing the Samsung Website for information about my i500 facinate and I am kinda confused.
Stella: May I know the exact information you are looking for Fascinate on the Samsung Webiste?
Visitor: Samsung Fascinate | Galaxy S | Samsung SCH-I500 - Cell Phones
Visitor: This is the link I am looking at, which displays the facinate as now available with Android 2.2 in the US. I am curious as to where i can get this update? As with everywhere i check my phone is telling 2.1 is the latest.
Stella: I understand your concern.
Stella: However, the update is not yet released.
Stella: Android 2.2 is coming with the New upcoming models.
Stella: The update should be released soon for the old models to install the 2.2 on the phone.
Visitor: So, if i returned my phone to verizon, and purchased a new phone, it would have 2.2 on it?
Stella: We are not sure of that.
Stella: Unfortunately, as of now Android 2.2 is not Officially released in US. Once it is released, it will be notified on the Samsung Website. You will get the notification on the phone over the air from your carrier Server.
Visitor: Then why are you advertising it on the US website? The way it looks right now is it is realeased and I can purchase it. There is nothing on the site saying not yet released or delayed. Even when i go to the shop screen it says i can purchase it from samsung directly.
Stella: I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Stella: I mean, the update should be released in upcoming days and then you can install the update on the phone. However, once the update is released, the new phones will be coming with 2.2 inbuilt.
Visitor: I am guessing there is no other ETA besides that, the same thing we have been hearing since release? (End of october...end of november...by the new year.....)
Stella: Unfortunately there is no update available at this time for your phone, nor is there an estimated date of one being released. We are unable to speculate when/if a software revision might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion.
Stella: Should this become available, it will be posted on our website in the Samsung Download Center.
Stella: I can understand your feelings.
Stella: I understand that you have been waiting for so long.
Stella: However, the update should be releasing soon.
Visitor: Thank you. We will just have to continueing the waiting game. I hope you have a good new year! Thanks again for the help
Stella: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Stella: Happy New year to you too.
Visitor: Nope that is everything thanks.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I am a little disappointed as well but hopeful as well.....I was hoping Phil might be able to work his magic and get a little more info for us ;)

drberezin

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Here is what I got out of them. The best part is at the end (2nd to last comment from 'Dan':

You are now chatting with 'Dan'

Dan: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: US website for Fascinate was updated to reflect Android 2.2 as the OS. When will our phones get the update?
Dan: I understand that you need to have information about 2.2
Visitor: Samsung Fascinate | Galaxy S | Samsung SCH-I500 - Cell Phones
Dan: Thank you for website.
Dan: Please let me share with details on my end.
Dan: We have Our latest Andriod phones released with 2.2 , That's reason we have information posted about 2.2 on our website, however the older phones as OS 2.1 and it can be updated to 2.2 after we have 2.2 update file released .
Visitor: When is that going to be?
Visitor: Are you saying if I go to Verizon, I can get a Fascinate with 2.2 on it now?
Dan: Yes, However we will have 2.2 released to be updated on the phone.
Dan: Update will be pushed to phone Over The Air.
Visitor: Again...when will that be? You know you have a LOT of angry customers in regards to this update.
Dan: I agree with your concern.
Visitor: Just look at your own Twitter feed for @GalaxySsupport
Visitor: So, what is the time frame for the OTA?
Dan: I understand it, but we need release the update once we make sure there are glitches after update.
Dan: That's reason its being delayed then estimated release time posted on website.
Visitor: You are dancing around my question. It must be soon if the people that run the website were told to make the change showing 2.2. I understand the testing process (I'm in IT). When will Samsung/Verizon start pushing the OTA?
Visitor: There is no estimate on the website. Just shows as having 2.2
Dan: Yes we will have OTA released in upcoming days.
Visitor: Will this also finally bring the Media Hub application to the Fascinate?
Dan: Yes.
Dan: We will have Media hub and 2.2 released in upcoming days.
Dan: We in the chat support team provide technical support, we do not have information about estimated time of release, that's reason I am not able to provide you with any details.

A little light at the end of the tunnel.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I can only HOPE that this is a sign of things to come with all of the “very late 2010” rumors that have come along with it, but I’m taking it all with a grain of salt. I’m not holding my breath.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
"upcoming days" is not the same thing to a native English speaker as it is to (probably) a Korean speaker... All I can say is I feel bad for all the tech support people caught in the hellstorm that is froyo. Come on, where is your Christmas spirit? Helldesk workers are people too, you know. Go easy on them, it's not like they are sitting there with their headsets on, next to a big "deploy froyo" button, refusing to push it just to keep you guessing.

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I find it funny that the three times we spoke with three different people...while some things are the same, they also gave about 3 different stories.. Chuck's said skirted around purchasing new by referencing him to someone else, mine said yes then no...not till after the update hits, and Db's said yes you can, but the rest of us are screwed....Seems someone at samsung needs to get a story straight... But as Chris said...taking it all with a pound of salt...

"upcoming days" is not the same thing to a native English speaker as it is to (probably) a Korean speaker... All I can say is I feel bad for all the tech support people caught in the hellstorm that is froyo. Come on, where is your Christmas spirit? Helldesk workers are people too, you know. Go easy on them, it's not like they are sitting there with their headsets on, next to a big "deploy froyo" button, refusing to push it just to keep you guessing.

Yes, which is why I for one tried not to be too frustrated. While i understand they are people too, they are representive of their company. It is their job as support people to be able to answer our questions and have the latest information. Unfortunately most companies do not make this easy on them, but based on the three different conversations...there is alot more information they do have they arn't telling us. At least in my thoughts. PLus Samsung is doing some very shady business if they start releasing all Facinates say after Jan 1st with Froyo and still have not released Froyo for the people who have been loyal and bought the item release expecting Samsung to be fufilling on their Promises of Froyo by fall....by end of october...by end of november... by end of the year.....

Last edited:

Gihmley#AC

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is doing some very shady business if they start releasing all Facinates say after Jan 1st with Froyo and still have not released Froyo for the people who have been loyal and bought the item release expecting Samsung to be fufilling on their Promises of Froyo by fall....by end of october...by end of november... by end of the year.....

Absolutely, and this is why my Fascinate went on Ebay right before Christmas. I bought mine when it first came out, waited until the end of the year... but not waiting any longer. Ridiculous.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Be ready for Froyo any day now. I spoke with a rep from Samsung who said they will be putting the directions on how to upgrade to 2.2 on their website and Verizon's. Said they are still testing 2.2 and will be releasing it soon. Somebody knows it is ready and basically the left hand is not letting the right hand know what it is going on.

Reactions: sjenkins1009

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, I gave up waiting...rooting and then flashing to DJ05. If my luck holds up then Froyo should be out in 2 or 3 days...(last time i get fed and rooted with my droid that is what happened anyway). So Maybe this is the good luck charm I needed. Here's to hoping....and praying i don't brick.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think we are getting the update any time soon. Typically the patch will get leaked out early to the developer community and they will post a copy we can install on our phones. This is what happened with DJ05 and DI09(leaked but not distributed) so until we see a leaked copy of froyo we will be waiting. I think we would be lucky to get the update in Q1 of next year.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Don't make the mistake of trying to contact Verizon about this posted on the Samsung website... They are very combative about this and will chew you up and spit you out. The young lady I spoke to, Nina, was almost ready to come thru he phone at me lol. Oh well... You sell a product that doesn't live up to it's billing and this is what you get. Furthermore, how dumb are we that bought it?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Don't make the mistake of trying to contact Verizon about this posted on the Samsung website... They are very combative about this and will chew you up and spit you out. The young lady I spoke to, Nina, was almost ready to come thru he phone at me lol. Oh well... You sell a product that doesn't live up to it's billing and this is what you get. Furthermore, how dumb are we that bought it?

If that is the case, that was very unprofessional of her. I don?t care what Verizon?s standing is, what do they expect? Even the semi-educated average consumer might recognize that it says 2.2 and they?re only running 2.1. They can?t expect anything less but phone calls asking about what is essentially at the moment misinformation.

No offense to any we might have here, but most reps are incredibly na?ve.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you Chris. A supervisor just called me and we spoke at length about the rep's behavior on the phone and Samsung's posting of this on their website. She was more than helpful and even stated it might be in my interest to return my wife's and my Fascinates and exchange them for a different phone. Considering we were the first customers to buy these phones way back when they were released, and we are well outside of our 30 day exchange time, that was a nice gesture. Perhaps all is not lost for customer service.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae