Need WIFI help

mdionis

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
My home wifi connection is working and I can see the connection available and remembered on my phone. However no matter what I do it will not connect to it. When I select the connection and hit connect it just sits and does nothing. I can get on other wifi access points just fine. I had this problem once before but cannot for the life of me remember what I needed to do in order for it to connect. I am rooted and debloated. I didn't have this problem until I updated the wireless tether app and even after removing it rebooting the phone removing my remembered connection and readding it just wont connect. Again it see's the connection allows me to enter the key (which I am entering correctly) but hitting connect does nothing.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Something went wrong when you install that app. Have you tried unrooting and see how that favors for you. If that's not an option - then try to install the app, and uninstall it again. (That usually work out for me in situation like these.)

Best of luck.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
try unsecuring your router and see if it will connect then. if it will then you have a security protical problem. either wrong key or router is wpa2and phone thinks its wpa of wep. usually resecuring the router at this point will fix the problem. this kinda thing happens on pc's all the time (im a cable guy, i spen my days fixing peoples broke stuff like internet).

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I had issues a few times connecting to my secured router at home. What worked for me was to unplug the router wait about 10 seconds then plug it back in, wait for all the lights to come back on, then my phone would connect.

Sent from my EVO on tapatalk PRO

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I had issues a few times connecting to my secured router at home. What worked for me was to unplug the router wait about 10 seconds then plug it back in, wait for all the lights to come back on, then my phone would connect.

Sent from my EVO on tapatalk PRO

lol. yeah that should have been the VERY FIRST thing he did and the VERY FIRST sugestion. i feel dumb not saying it, its always the VERY FIRST thing i do when i get to someones house to trouble shoot.

mdionis

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate all the suggestions but I have tried all the above. This is some known bug when connecting to a hidden ssid using wpa2 security. I remember there being some setting to turn off, reboot phone then turn it back on. Then add the connection again. I just cannot find the article that had this fix listed on.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Are you trying to connect to your home router using WIFI with Wireless Tether?

If so that will not work. Wireless tether is to share your phones Mobile (3g) connection with other devices.

If that is not what you are trying to do then:

I am not sure that if you have your SSID hidden it will work.

Are you using a key or a pass phrase?

It sounds more to me like the way your router is set up. Try keeping the SSID Broadcast off and changing the encryption protocols. WPA2 to WEP and try it. If it works then yeah there is an issue with using WPA2 and SSID Broadcasting off.

One other thing I can think of....

Android HATES when the SSID is two seperate words. Try changing your SSID to one word. ex. DroidHome instead of Droid Home.

Also, Double check that you are set to get an IP via DHCP and that you have enough available IP's.

Last edited:

myersw

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
If the SSID is hidden you might as well turn it on. Having SSID hidden is not much of a security thing. Easy to find and connect to anyway.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate all the suggestions but I have tried all the above. This is some known bug when connecting to a hidden ssid using wpa2 security. I remember there being some setting to turn off, reboot phone then turn it back on. Then add the connection again. I just cannot find the article that had this fix listed on.

I would follow the recommendations above. That said, you stated that it worked before you installed the wireless tether app, but not after? If that's the case, then it sounds more like wireless tether screwed something up.

What version did you install? That program has 459 defects filed against it. Maybe there's a defect related to your access point.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
agreed. there a dozen programs that will sniff wifi hidden ssid or not. i use net stumbler myself. its free.

True but the ley hacker would not know that. Turning off SSID Broadcast is a basic principle in Wireless Security. It helps as a preventative measure against War Driving. If someone is driving by my house with their laptop searching for Wireless Networks to test their security strength so they can War Chalk it for others and mine isnt coming up because my SSID isnt broadcasting in effect hiding my network from them then having it off was a good idea. Why make it easy?

Leave it off.

Anyways, Cory is right. If you uninstall Wireless Tether and reboot doest that change anything for you?

JohanX

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Make sure the router doesn't have MAC filtering on. This prevents anyone but the systems listed from making a connection to your wifi...

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
True but the ley hacker would not know that. Turning off SSID Broadcast is a basic principle in Wireless Security. It helps as a preventative measure against War Driving. If someone is driving by my house with their laptop searching for Wireless Networks to test their security strength so they can War Chalk it for others and mine isnt coming up because my SSID isnt broadcasting in effect hiding my network from them then having it off was a good idea. Why make it easy?

Leave it off.

anyone who know how to do that, is not gonna be bothered by a simple sort of invisible ssid.

on another note i agree with droiddev who agrees with corey, if the wireless screwed it up then uninstalling it should fix it. i must have missed the wireless tether part.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
anyone who know how to do that, is not gonna be bothered by a simple sort of invisible ssid.

on another note i agree with droiddev who agrees with corey, if the wireless screwed it up then uninstalling it should fix it. i must have missed the wireless tether part.

Yeah. But, why not do it. Its simple enough to do and just adds a layer or security. Even if a hacker will just sniff it out. Doesnt hurt to have it in place anyways.

To the OP. I am fairly certain that if you have a multi word SSID with spaces that is the issue. Try removing the spaces if you have them. Let us know if any of this helps you! :) If you even still have the problem haha.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. But, why not do it. Its simple enough to do and just adds a layer or security. Even if a hacker will just sniff it out. Doesnt hurt to have it in place anyways.

To the OP. I am fairly certain that if you have a multi word SSID with spaces that is the issue. Try removing the spaces if you have them. Let us know if any of this helps you! :) If you even still have the problem haha.

ok i need to stop reading these when im half asleep. where did he say his ssid had spaces. if thats the case, no spaces!! use underscore. also dont have a retarted 74 digit hexadecimal key either. you are just asking for trouble.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
ok i need to stop reading these when im half asleep. where did he say his ssid had spaces. if thats the case, no spaces!! use underscore. also dont have a retarted 74 digit hexadecimal key either. you are just asking for trouble.

lol that is true. Ive seen people that do that....

He did not say he had spaces, but he didnt say he doesnt either. I am just throwing it out there because a lot of people that arent "in the know" will do that. Use spaces in their SSID. Just covering all the bases.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance