Low quality pictures, what am I doing wrong?

jjohnson0000

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Every time I take pictures and then view them on a computer (or send them via email etc..) with my fascinate, I notice that the pictures end up being very grainy and seem to be very low quality. I am using the default camera app that comes with the phone.

I've also noticed that when I open them up they are very large (as in resolution, if I view the image in full size it is far bigger than my 24 inch screen at 1920 x 1080).

When I take pictures of people the quality looks ok when I am looking at it on the phone, but when I send it via email and view it on a computer it looks awful.

Is there something that I can do to increase the picture quality? I have seen other pictures that people have taken and they seem to be far better image quality it makes me wonder what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
one of three problems. the first is the camera app its self. try installing another camera app. two the camera on the phone is broke. warrenty replacement. and the photographer answer: graininess in a picture is caused by the iso setting. lighting is always a problem in taking pictures. in lower light settings we can adjust the sensitivity to light. this is done by raising the iso setting. the higher the setting the more sensitive. the draw back is more sensitivity the more grainy the picture becomes. the solution is in the camera settings change the iso to 800 or less. if the pic can be taken at 100 or 200 all the better. you may have to play with lighting but it should be worth it.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Make sure your lens is clean. The stock camera app is fine; mine takes great pics with all the default settings.

Also, take your resolution down to 3.2 (2048X1536). More mega pixels doesn't necessarily mean a better quality picture. Pictures are far larger then users realize (both in physical size and in file size).

Lighting and distance are a big factor as well.

Post a couple pics that you took so we can take a look. Try another app like @gunnermike53 suggested. I've never played with the ISO on a digital camera, so I can't comment on that.

One more thing, do use the zoom. It's just a digital zoom. It's no different than if you had the pic on your computer, and you zoomed in on it.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Make sure your lens is clean. The stock camera app is fine; mine takes great pics with all the default settings.

Also, take your resolution down to 3.2 (2048X1536). More mega pixels doesn't necessarily mean a better quality picture. Pictures are far larger then users realize (both in physical size and in file size).

Post a couple pics that you took so we can take a look. Try another app like @gunnermike53 suggested. I've never played with the ISO on a digital camera, so I can't comment on that.

One more thing, do use the zoom. It's just a digital zoom. It's no different than if you had the pic on your computer, and you zoomed in on it.

iso is the equivalent as film speed. the film woud have 100,200,400,800 and so on.

Reactions: NickA

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

I think you meant don't use zoom... Right?

Reactions: NickA

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
If you *are* using the zoom, I'd suspect that would be the majority of your issues right there. The Fascinate doesn't have any sort of optical zoom, it's only digital, so any zooming you do will degrade the quality of the photo.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I think we need to see some of these pictures to make a good recommendation. You are going to get grain on any low-light shot (low light, for this camera, being anything without direct light from the sun or a bright indoor light) so it may just be an unfair comparison with a DSLR that is leading to the conclusion that the picture quality is poor. The two things to overcome this are 1) lowering the resolution on the camera and 2) doing a downconversion on your PC; either one will overcome some of the grain (option 2 being preferred if you have nice photo editing software).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz