Speed Test?

NovaSS369

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I recently downloaded the Speed Test app from the market (SpeedTest.net) and found my connection to be a lil whheird on this phone. My DL speed is around 200-400 kb/s on 3G full bars but my upload is around 400-1000. Shouldn't my download speed EXCEED my upload speed no matter how fast or slow the connection is? Wondering what other people got on their Sammy Fascinates....

fwdixon

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed this at times as well. Your d/l and u/l speeds have the same theoretical limit, so it is entirely normal to have either exceed the other, and it won't always be the same one that is higher.

People have gotten accustomed to lower u/l speed due to the limits ISP's place on home broadband internet accesses (the give significantly lower u/l speeds to discourage file hosting), but there is nothing inherent in the network that dictates d/l speed always exceed u/l speed.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Verizon speed control. This is the case for net neutrality. Verizon is probably placing the speedtest servers on a slower pipe. The sites like ESPN, engadget and the like are given faster access than others.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Verizon speed control. This is the case for net neutrality. Verizon is probably placing the speedtest servers on a slower pipe. The sites like ESPN, engadget and the like are given faster access than others.

fwdixon: I've noticed this at times as well. Your d/l and u/l speeds have the same theoretical limit, so it is entirely normal to have either exceed the other, and it won't always be the same one that is higher.

People have gotten accustomed to lower u/l speed due to the limits ISP's place on home broadband internet accesses (the give significantly lower u/l speeds to discourage file hosting), but there is nothing inherent in the network that dictates d/l speed always exceed u/l speed.

you are both correct... mostly. the slower ul is mostly to allow a larger portion of the isp's pipe to be used for dl. the genrel user does not need higher ul speeds. espn is run by nazi's. you can think ATLEAST $20 of you basic cable bill on espn. they charge cable company per cust per month 3000 times (no i am not kidding)more than any other channel. they also have thier hands in many isp pockets, ie verizon.

fwdixon

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
By the same token I have regularly seen my d/l speed approach 2Mbps while my u/l speed stays right around half that.

Most likely it is your location and not any conspiracy on the part of verizon or one of their partners (ie espn)

Last edited:

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
By the same token I have regularly seen my d/l speed approach 2Mbps while my u/l speed stays right around half that.

Most likely it is your location and not any conspiracy on the part of verizon or one of their partners (ie espn)

lol. a conspiracy ususally involves secrets. espn is right up fron about there jerkness. they will tell anyone and not care one bit who else hears it because they know there is nothing anyone can do about it. what is a cable company to do, not carry espn!!! that company (adelphia) went bankrupt inside of a year.

on the actual subjest of this thread, i agree, location is most likely the reason for the wierd speed test. another good posibility is maintenance on the tower or land line connection the tower uses.
:D

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded Speed Test and ran a check on my phone using the 3G and attached via WiFi to my home network (Verizon). There's a big difference! Wi-Fi wins hands-down.

snap20110325_114020.png

fwdixon

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded Speed Test and ran a check on my phone using the 3G and attached via WiFi to my home network (Verizon). There's a big difference! Wi-Fi wins hands-down.

snap20110325_114020.png

Of course wifi wins. 3g is what, 2mbps max? WiFi g is 54mbps max with most broadband networks delivering 5mbps and up to the wifi router.

Sent from my Monster Nookcolor via Tapatalk

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been on sprint, mobile and now verizon. By far verizon has the slowest speeds. Maybe that will be fixed with lte.

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Of course wifi wins. 3g is what, 2mbps max? WiFi g is 54mbps max with most broadband networks delivering 5mbps and up to the wifi router.

Sent from my Monster Nookcolor via Tapatalk

Yeah, but I guess I never thought about how MUCH of a difference. And what that means as far as using wireless at home and 3G when away.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The biggest difference (for me at least) is the host that speedtest uses. The auto-detected "closest host" is almost always a totally **** provider that cant fill the download max for 3g, because it's their upload capacity that limits it. So, when you get 200 down/400 up, its because your provider is getting 400 down, 200 up. On the east coast, the only reliable host i have found is Defender Technologies from Ashburn, VA. All the "local" ones have crap peering with Verizon and the speed tests are always faster up than they are down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac