01-10-2011 07:45 PM
62 123
tools
    YouTube as a video of the Optimus 2X against a GalaxyS phone and the speed was marginal at best. The 2X was just a fraction of a second faster loading apps youtube and web.

I am not sure if the Galaxy S is running Froyo or Eclair, but it shows unless you really want the front camera, the FS will keep with any of these new phones.
    01-07-2011 07:10 PM
    YouTube as a video of the Optimus 2X against a GalaxyS phone and the speed was marginal at best. The 2X was just a fraction of a second faster loading apps youtube and web.

I am not sure if the Galaxy S is running Froyo or Eclair, but it shows unless you really want the front camera, the FS will keep with any of these new phones.
    Thats what i have been trying to say!!
    01-07-2011 07:11 PM
    Thats what i have been trying to say!!
    I concur...
    01-07-2011 07:15 PM
    Amen!
    01-07-2011 08:38 PM
    Thus far, haven't been too impressed with what we've seen on the phone side at CES, at least not in relation to specs. I think everyone got their hopes up a little too much.
    01-07-2011 09:11 PM
    This is what I was hoping for when they pulled the white tablecloth off the table: A Nexus S with LTE. Instead I saw a weird looking thing that:

1) is too tall
    2) is too thick
    3) has odd angles
    4) has buttons that feel like really cheap plastic and toyish.

I can't for the life of me figure out whey they are pushing past the 4" mark. Any phone bigger than that is not pocketable!

5) They were completely silent on the internals
    6) The screen looked great, but I can't get past the chassis that screen is sitting in.

There are different system fonts to choose from now. That's something I hadn't seen before.
    01-08-2011 02:55 AM
    I would say one of the new phones!!!! I think people are nuts telling you to get this phone. hold out I say. I LOVE my rom'd fascinate now, but not all of us root and rom. I say go for the new. I wouldnt upgrade a fascinate for any of the new ones anytime soon, but If I was deciding to go with one of those OR the SF.....one of those. Plus Verizon is about to change the contract making you have to wait till your 20th month (mistake).
    01-08-2011 08:49 AM
    This is what I was hoping for when they pulled the white tablecloth off the table: A Nexus S with LTE. Instead I saw a weird looking thing that:

1) is too tall
    2) is too thick
    3) has odd angles
    4) has buttons that feel like really cheap plastic and toyish.

I can't for the life of me figure out whey they are pushing past the 4" mark. Any phone bigger than that is not pocketable!

5) They were completely silent on the internals
    6) The screen looked great, but I can't get past the chassis that screen is sitting in.

There are different system fonts to choose from now. That's something I hadn't seen before.
    Size doesnt bother me, but I read that it is REALLY thick and heavy. That is what makes the SF appealing is its light weight and the ability to still have a 4"screen.
    01-08-2011 08:52 AM
    I can say that in my experience with smartphones, mostly business related mind you, iPhone 2G, Blackberry 8700, back to iPhone 3G, and now the Fascinate... Samsung let this phone ship with a plethora of bugs and problems. Granted all of those phones had issues. But Apple and RIM made sure to address them in a very timely manner. I've turned to the MOD community to fix my problems (thank you one and all by the way) when it should have been Samsung's focus to get it right.

IMO that will be the big hurdle facing Samsung going forward with new phones. The lack of support fixing the issues with the Galaxy S line among the 4 major carriers.
    01-08-2011 08:58 AM
    I would say one of the new phones!!!! I think people are nuts telling you to get this phone. hold out I say. I LOVE my rom'd fascinate now, but not all of us root and rom. I say go for the new. I wouldnt upgrade a fascinate for any of the new ones anytime soon, but If I was deciding to go with one of those OR the SF.....one of those. Plus Verizon is about to change the contract making you have to wait till your 20th month (mistake).
    Big Red is changing policy and not in a good way. The new every two went from 100 to 50, now it's gone. They changed the policy for renewal, don't care I am locked for 2 years anyway. But all this and the announcement on the 11th. All pointing to the lamest washed out, closed sourced, boring UI, cookie cutter crap.

I think VZW is making a mistake and will actually lose some customers doing this. There is nothing to keep people from jumping services every couple of years now. 2 years, go to Tmo, then back to get better deals, since current customers, who have been with VZW, get nothing now. We stayed with them when others left for better phones and we get the shaft now.
    01-08-2011 10:16 AM
    @ Cory - a verizon'd nexus s is exactly what i would have wanted
    @Brackett - no doubt 20 mo's is a long time
    @ TheAnarchy - the bugs are an issue with the fasc (esp. gps), and i've never had a smartphone before, but ive been reading abt it and im pretty sure i could root it
    01-08-2011 10:17 AM
    @ Curley - i think costco (price club) has a 90 day, no fee, exchange on verizon products. dunno if that will change, tho
    01-08-2011 12:14 PM
    @ Curley - i think costco (price club) has a 90 day, no fee, exchange on verizon products. dunno if that will change, tho
    Good to know for the future. Thank you.
    01-08-2011 12:41 PM
    Verizon's updated policies will without a doubt cause a lot of unrest within the VZW customer base, or at least the ones online and on communities and forums. We saw the same thing happen when T-Mobile made a change like this. As for what we have seen at CES, I'm not all that impressed. But at least Verizon made a showing, Sprint was basically AWOL.
    01-08-2011 01:03 PM
    VZW's policy changes undoubtedly reflect their next product launch, trying to prevent a lot of contract defectors.
    01-08-2011 01:41 PM
    I, if anyone, I would jump ship to Sprint. I have had a bad experience with them, bit it was mainly do to me going through a third party Store. I love being rooted. I wish I hadn't waited so long to do it. It I pretty simple and the guys on this forum are the absolute most helpful bunch of people. I am I'm love with This phone again. However I woukd like to try one of the Ltd phones, im not sure any impressed me and im going to wait and see what Big Red has to say about the new plans.

Ok question: if anyone here were to get one of the LTE phones, with what we have seen up to now, which one would I be??
    01-08-2011 01:55 PM
    It seems like the LG revolution and Bionic are question marks until there's some more information on them, feels safe to assume that the Tbolt will be a slightly quicker Evo. obv not lte but the Atrix is looking pretty neat.

Since i'm not planning to wait much longer for a phone than early February, I'll get the tbolt if the data plan isn't insane, otherwise its the fascinate (can't beat the screen and shape/size. at this time on verizon)
    01-08-2011 05:05 PM
    What I'm curious to see is a more in-depth look at the new Blur and how it stacks up against TouchWiz or Sense, seeing as how up until now Blur was my least favorite.
    01-08-2011 05:44 PM
    @ curley - The costco.com wireless store return policy (thru another party i think)

Mobile Phones with Free Shipping and Activation - Mobile Phone Plans from AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless
    01-08-2011 06:33 PM
    I really don't like the feel on the Evo at 4.3" and all the LTE phones look bulky. I switched from Sprint because I wanted a light sleek phone like the Fascinate. So from what I cam tell, I'll be using my Fascinate for a long time.
    01-08-2011 06:45 PM
    Am I the only person who thinks any phone above 4'' screen is too big, pointless, and not able to fit in your pocket. I will never buy a 4.3'' any bigger youll have a pocket pc.
    01-08-2011 09:23 PM
    Am I the only person who thinks any phone above 4'' screen is too big, pointless, and not able to fit in your pocket. I will never buy a 4.3'' any bigger youll have a pocket pc.
    Nope not the only one. I think the 4" size is perfect, I'm not a big fan of anything bigger or smaller.
    01-08-2011 09:29 PM
    Nope not the only one. I think the 4" size is perfect, I'm not a big fan of anything bigger or smaller.
    Yeah, size doesn't matter does it?
    01-09-2011 10:37 AM
    It depends on what you're talking about, but in this case it does. 4" is perfect. But there's another factor that matters, and that's thickness and esthetics. I could probably deal with the 4.3" screen (it really is gorgeous) on the new LTE 4G if the rest of the phone was thin, sleek, shiny black and uses capacitive buttons. Again, I want an LTE Nexus S.

@Kerrigan, it looks exactly like it always has, and it's on an LCD screen.

Hopefully the Droid X guys aren't reading this. I'll getting bombarded with tomatoes
    01-09-2011 01:27 PM
    You're not alone, I too would never buy a phone with a screen larger than 4 inches. I'd actually prefer an even smaller screen, 3.8 - 3.6 or so, or just a smaller overall outer dimension of the phone, but at the time I bought the Fascinate, no other phone stacked up hardware-wise.
    01-09-2011 02:34 PM
62 123