Fascinate vs these new CES Phones

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Dual core just isn't worth it yet in my opinion. Without the resources (OS optimized for it and more RAM available) to properly utilize it, I don't see the point

darkhemingway

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Now that verizon announced these phones, i'm leaning towards either the sam fascinate (and then root it) or the thunderbolt (even tho it's underwhelming). Gotta see what the price plans are for the 4g service, and what the upgrade price is.

Thanks for all the input btw
-hem

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the design for the samsung LTE phone is horrible, compared to the galaxy S series it just looks clunky.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
My 2 cents...
I just had my Fascinate replaced by Verizon (probably my fault it went bad but that's another issue, they happily sent another to me). I had major problems with the phone for a while in terms of it's lag and GPS as well as a few other well talked about issues. But, I can safely say rooted and running DJ05 and a custom ROM this phone is now quite impressive and is beginning to live up to it's potential. I'm a heavy user for messaging and data transfer (yes I use the free wifi feature available after root ;)) so I depend on my device having some muscle. The Fascinate has it with some to spare (after rooting in my opinion).

Much better than the blackberries that my company provided for us by a long shot. Happy shopping.

darkhemingway

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i kinda figure the hummingbird on the fascinate is probably equal to the new snapdragon on the thunderbolt. Screens are probably close with samsung in the lead with that super. If the 4g prices are comparable it's going to be hard, since the fasc is just right with screen, size/shape, and hummingbird (but will probably never see gingerbread and froyo looks like itll be a wait)

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
YouTube as a video of the Optimus 2X against a GalaxyS phone and the speed was marginal at best. The 2X was just a fraction of a second faster loading apps youtube and web.

I am not sure if the Galaxy S is running Froyo or Eclair, but it shows unless you really want the front camera, the FS will keep with any of these new phones.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
YouTube as a video of the Optimus 2X against a GalaxyS phone and the speed was marginal at best. The 2X was just a fraction of a second faster loading apps youtube and web.

I am not sure if the Galaxy S is running Froyo or Eclair, but it shows unless you really want the front camera, the FS will keep with any of these new phones.

Thats what i have been trying to say!!

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Thus far, haven't been too impressed with what we've seen on the phone side at CES, at least not in relation to specs. I think everyone got their hopes up a little too much.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
This is what I was hoping for when they pulled the white tablecloth off the table: A Nexus S with LTE. Instead I saw a weird looking thing that:

1) is too tall
2) is too thick
3) has odd angles
4) has buttons that feel like really cheap plastic and toyish.

I can't for the life of me figure out whey they are pushing past the 4" mark. Any phone bigger than that is not pocketable!

5) They were completely silent on the internals
6) The screen looked great, but I can't get past the chassis that screen is sitting in.

There are different system fonts to choose from now. That's something I hadn't seen before.

brackett5

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I would say one of the new phones!!!! I think people are nuts telling you to get this phone. hold out I say. I LOVE my rom'd fascinate now, but not all of us root and rom. I say go for the new. I wouldnt upgrade a fascinate for any of the new ones anytime soon, but If I was deciding to go with one of those OR the SF.....one of those. Plus Verizon is about to change the contract making you have to wait till your 20th month (mistake).

brackett5

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
This is what I was hoping for when they pulled the white tablecloth off the table: A Nexus S with LTE. Instead I saw a weird looking thing that:

1) is too tall
2) is too thick
3) has odd angles
4) has buttons that feel like really cheap plastic and toyish.

I can't for the life of me figure out whey they are pushing past the 4" mark. Any phone bigger than that is not pocketable!

5) They were completely silent on the internals
6) The screen looked great, but I can't get past the chassis that screen is sitting in.

There are different system fonts to choose from now. That's something I hadn't seen before.

Size doesnt bother me, but I read that it is REALLY thick and heavy. That is what makes the SF appealing is its light weight and the ability to still have a 4"screen.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I can say that in my experience with smartphones, mostly business related mind you, iPhone 2G, Blackberry 8700, back to iPhone 3G, and now the Fascinate... Samsung let this phone ship with a plethora of bugs and problems. Granted all of those phones had issues. But Apple and RIM made sure to address them in a very timely manner. I've turned to the MOD community to fix my problems (thank you one and all by the way) when it should have been Samsung's focus to get it right.

IMO that will be the big hurdle facing Samsung going forward with new phones. The lack of support fixing the issues with the Galaxy S line among the 4 major carriers.

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I would say one of the new phones!!!! I think people are nuts telling you to get this phone. hold out I say. I LOVE my rom'd fascinate now, but not all of us root and rom. I say go for the new. I wouldnt upgrade a fascinate for any of the new ones anytime soon, but If I was deciding to go with one of those OR the SF.....one of those. Plus Verizon is about to change the contract making you have to wait till your 20th month (mistake).

Big Red is changing policy and not in a good way. The new every two went from 100 to 50, now it's gone. They changed the policy for renewal, don't care I am locked for 2 years anyway. But all this and the announcement on the 11th. All pointing to the lamest washed out, closed sourced, boring UI, cookie cutter crap.

I think VZW is making a mistake and will actually lose some customers doing this. There is nothing to keep people from jumping services every couple of years now. 2 years, go to Tmo, then back to get better deals, since current customers, who have been with VZW, get nothing now. We stayed with them when others left for better phones and we get the shaft now.

darkhemingway

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
@ Cory - a verizon'd nexus s is exactly what i would have wanted
@Brackett - no doubt 20 mo's is a long time
@ TheAnarchy - the bugs are an issue with the fasc (esp. gps), and i've never had a smartphone before, but ive been reading abt it and im pretty sure i could root it

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Verizon's updated policies will without a doubt cause a lot of unrest within the VZW customer base, or at least the ones online and on communities and forums. We saw the same thing happen when T-Mobile made a change like this. As for what we have seen at CES, I'm not all that impressed. But at least Verizon made a showing, Sprint was basically AWOL.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz