am i rooted?

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
i traded my droid x for a samsung fascinate, and the guy said the phone was rooted but he unrooted before we traded... my marketplace doesnt work at all. what is the easiest way to tell if the phone is still rooted? is it possible to be partially rooted?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
i traded my droid x for a samsung fascinate, and the guy said the phone was rooted but he unrooted before we traded... my marketplace doesnt work at all. what is the easiest way to tell if the phone is still rooted? is it possible to be partially rooted?

its all or nothing. i would say if you havent gotten to far in setting up i would format sd card, root, flash cwm, and get rom manager and install a custom rom. then you dont have to worry about whatever he did to the phone.

Reactions: bear_lx

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
yea i am very close to doing this, but i really wanted to leave the phone unrooted, simply to get ota updates... i know froyo 2.2 is coming very soon

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
yea i am very close to doing this, but i really wanted to leave the phone unrooted, simply to get ota updates... i know froyo 2.2 is coming very soon

i believe everyone is intitled to my opinion, so here it it :D. froyo is not coming soon. im sure some day we will get it, maybe. i for one am not going to install any update from vzw. i am going to (assuming birdman, adrynalyne or another indie dev i havent named hasent already got 2.2 or 2.3) wait for a custom rom from one of the indie devs. i like thier stuff better anyway. all this fuss about can i get the imaginary ota, am i good for the ota? it isnt nescarry. just like we have 2.1 custom roms with leaked modems and updates, we will have the same for the next official update. i also have more faith in the indie devs anyway. i think we will see an indie 2.2 or even 2.3 before vzw releases 2.2.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Dizzy i know i have suggested this to you before but you can use Odin full DI01 package to go back to stock, with no rooted needed,,,it will leaving you completely stock, unrooted with all the bloatware. i did this twice last night. It is a 4 minute process. Let me know if/when you are ready to try

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
i am going to take your advice gunnermike, i am just going to format sd card, root, flash cwm, and install a custom rom... surely thiss will fix my marketplace issue. especially since it is confirmed it isnt a google account issue.... it is def a problem with the app on the phone. furthermore, i may find that i actually prefer a rooted phone. in this case the first thing to go is the bing search and gps. i will let you all know how it goes... thanks for all the advice.

although with launcher pro, you can use google search widget w/o rooting.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
i am going to take your advice gunnermike, i am just going to format sd card, root, flash cwm, and install a custom rom... surely thiss will fix my marketplace issue. especially since it is confirmed it isnt a google account issue.... it is def a problem with the app on the phone. furthermore, i may find that i actually prefer a rooted phone. in this case the first thing to go is the bing search and gps. i will let you all know how it goes... thanks for all the advice.

although with launcher pro, you can use google search widget w/o rooting.

Dizzy here is the simplest way to root
[APP] z4root - xda-developers
Sideload that , go to the app drawer and hit permanent..

unforuntaly even though you are avoiding using my method you will still need to use odin to flash the kernel for the CWM
Follow the directions in post #3 of this thread

http://forum.androidcentral.com/fascinate-roms-hacks/35726-clockworkmod-recovery.html

if you dont follow those directions ROM manager just wont work for you unless your friend had it already installed.

in rom manager dont forget to hit the "flash clockwork recovery" .. then reboot into recovery. if you get the blue screen you will neeed to go to apply update select this and this will lead you into clockwork recovery

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear it. You will feel like you have a new phone. If you are like me you will feel like you have a new phone 2 or 3 times a day. :D

Xcon gave you the links to root. If you need help just ask. Also STAY AWAY FROM VOODOO!!!!

If you are going to flash a new rom don't worry about debinging. I would start with superclean rom, stupid fast 1.54, and a theme of some sort. All this can be found in rom manager. Don't forget to flash the proper modem. Have fun.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
thanks so much droidxcon, you are awesome!!! last question before i do this, why should i not use voodoo root? i was actually going to use dirrks 1 click root (voodoo w/ lagfix) . seems to be retty popular and super easy. is it just laggy? too many bugs?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Since I use the odin flash I never worry about ......voodoo configures your phone in a way that not all roms are compatible with and if you want to change back its kind of a hassle....non voodoo is easier to navigate away from. That's how I understand it , but I could be wrong. Z4 when it works is as easy as it gets

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
thanks so much droidxcon, you are awesome!!! last question before i do this, why should i not use voodoo root? i was actually going to use dirrks 1 click root (voodoo w/ lagfix) . seems to be retty popular and super easy. is it just laggy? too many bugs?

no, its not your last question. lol. but thats what this forum is for. there is nothing wrong with voodoo. it has a purpose, a very specific purpose. the reason i have cautioned you away from voodoo is because it is very difficult to uninstall. its very complicated, and if you screw it up you are screwed. stick with nonvoodoo. diirks root method is a good one to use. dont get that confused with the lag fix he uses. voodoo is a kernel, something you do after the root not during.

1. root
2. flash cwm via odin (odin)
3. flash dj05 modem (odin)
4. flash kernel (rom manager or cwm)
5. flash rom (rom manager or cwm)

i would recomend using rom manager for what you can at first.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
or to save a bunch of steps just use odin to flash DJ05 in one shot

Odin - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/458252/Odin%...in3 v1.3.exe

Stock 2.1- [ODIN] Full DI01 ODIN Package - xda-developers

Stock 2.1-DJ05
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

again im just trying to save you steps to find out if it is a hardware or software problem instead of flashing this and that just to find out it wont work anyway

Steps:
1. Pull battery from device
2. Open odin on desktop
3. Hold volume down button and plug device into computer
-This will place the device into download mode
4. Verify device shows up in odin
5. Click "PDA" button in odin (Never phone Area)
6. Select 2.1 file i just provided from where you downloaded it
7. Click "Start"
8. Enjoy your fixed /system partition!

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
or to save a bunch of steps just use odin to flash DJ05 in one shot

Odin - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/458252/Odin%...in3 v1.3.exe

Stock 2.1- [ODIN] Full DI01 ODIN Package - xda-developers

Stock 2.1-DJ05
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

again im just trying to save you steps to find out if it is a hardware or software problem instead of flashing this and that just to find out it wont work anyway

Steps:
1. Pull battery from device
2. Open odin on desktop
3. Hold volume down button and plug device into computer
-This will place the device into download mode
4. Verify device shows up in odin
5. Click "PDA" button in odin (Never phone Area)
6. Select 2.1 file i just provided from where you downloaded it
7. Click "Start"
8. Enjoy your fixed /system partition!

true. i was going for least ammount of apps installed. start with the bare min and work up from there. but you are right this would save you a few steps.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

Let me help here if I can...
I recently had a very bad experience with voodoo. In fact I was positive that I had ruined my phone's screen. You can search out my other posts for some background. Granted most of this was my fault. But getting that voodoo out of my phone once it was on was a nightmare. It is most assuredly NOT for beginners to muck around with. Get to know the rooting and flashing process by using stock kernels and roms first. After you have really gotten your feet wet in rooting and the various functions it opens up, then read and read some more before trying voodoo.

That's my advice. Good luck and let us know how it goes. ;)

nigelengr

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but wondering why we're recommending the full D101 package when another thread says it causes loss of USB connectivity. No criticism meant, but I was planning to use that and now cautious because I saw the other thread. Then, here, an endorsement. Please explain?

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but wondering why we're recommending the full D101 package when another thread says it causes loss of USB connectivity. No criticism meant, but I was planning to use that and now cautious because I saw the other thread. Then, here, an endorsement. Please explain?

I used the full D101 Odin package to go back to stock and have no loss of USB or any functionality. It takes the phone back to stock out of the box.

nigelengr

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
We suspect that its with 64 bit windows. I have used this method and directed many others to use this method with no problems.so I think these are just 1offs and there may be other possible reasons for the loss of Usb support.so I still feel comfortable recommending this method .
Glad all worked for you. Hope to hear of more success stories since this thread http://forum.androidcentral.com/fascinate-roms-hacks/53046-downgrading-dj05-dl09.html says otherwise. The majority of today's discussion has been the opposite experience.

Reactions: nigelengr

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
ok sweet, i have my phone rooted, z4 was a breeze... however , when trying to load the .tar file, i am having issues... odin is hanging up. when i am in odin, it stays in "setup connection", and freezes there... i think it has something to do with the pc not recognizing my phone. i have the drivers installed. so i am a lil confused . so far everything was cake. any more details on what i am doing wrong? thanks guys...

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
step by step...

i i have my phone connected to the pc and in download mode...
i open odin and try to start the .tar file upload.
appears to be working, but in the far left side of the odin window, it says "setup connection" and freezes there...

phone is rooted successfully with the z4mod...

sidenote... i still cant transfer files from pc to phone... i think there is an issue with the drivers ihave installed...