No Voice in Google Navigation on Fascinate

tkataria

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I got a fascinate recently and downloaded the Google maps which comes with Google Navigation. When I use it...it starts navigation but there is no voice. when I was at the vzw store the other droids have voice giving turn by turn directions.
I searched on Google but haven't found any post related to this. I found people having problem having the nav volume low but nobody with altogether "no voice" issue. Did I get a lemon? or am I missing some software some where. I looked and I have PicoTts.apk and TtsService.apk but when I see in Text to speech services it does not show me any "Engines" as it shows me on wife's incredible.
The dumb guy at vzw store told me that fascinate does not support voice for Google nav as it supports VZ Navigator. Please guide me how can I get the voice with google Nav and if its my particular phone then I still have time to go and exchange it.

Ivisi

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
You're on the right track, Google Navigator requires the Text to Speech service be installed and enabled in order to do turn-by-turn voice directions. I found this out when I installed a custom ROM on my Fascinate and declined to install it, once I reinstalled the ROM with the Text To Speech services enabled, all was good.

You didn't state if you had done any custom work on your phone (rooting, custom ROM loaded, etc.) but chances are you've somehow disabled it or may be running a task killer that's preventing it from loading. Check those out, and make sure you haven't inadvertently removed or disabled it.

tkataria

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
You're on the right track, Google Navigator requires the Text to Speech service be installed and enabled in order to do turn-by-turn voice directions. I found this out when I installed a custom ROM on my Fascinate and declined to install it, once I reinstalled the ROM with the Text To Speech services enabled, all was good.

You didn't state if you had done any custom work on your phone (rooting, custom ROM loaded, etc.) but chances are you've somehow disabled it or may be running a task killer that's preventing it from loading. Check those out, and make sure you haven't inadvertently removed or disabled it.

Thanks Ivisi. I have not done any custom thing. In settings it seems that text to speech service is enabled and there is a short example of how the voice sounds. I do not have any task killer installed. Any other ideas.....

joe007

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
If the sounds works else where then you may have it on mute in nav. It is a separate option under menu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781