Why are all upcoming phones 4.3"?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Coming from my Blackberry, I thought I was getting a "big" phone getting the 4" Fascinate. I thought the DroidX was too big at 4.3". Now it seems that all of the new android phones that Verizon is coming out with are all 4.3". I'm going to have to get a world phone before the summer (not sure if any of the new ones are world phones) before I go to Europe, but they are getting big! I might as well just carry around a tablet in my pocket. I suppose its all what you get used to though.

It'll be like this before too long

118p383.jpg

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
How big is that? I wish we could get one of the actual Google phones. The updates would be bound to come faster and perhaps have less Bing. And we would be on at least 2.3 instead of 2.1.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I think 4" is a perfect size. But I picked up an HTC HD7, and it had a 4.3" screen. Great for watching movies or Sports Center, but barley fits into my top shirt pocket.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
4" is perfect now that I'm used to it, but that's a Sprint phone and we have Verizon, so its not really so helpful. :(

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
i want bigger,, but thats just me, the amount of time i spend with the phone to my face is minimal at best, bluetooth takes care of the rest

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I agree that 4" is perfect, at least for me. Maybe it was just the Droid X and Evo, but I found the form factor of 4.3" a little too much for me. I can't even go back to 3.7", though. I was playing with an Incredible after I got my Fascinate and I felt so cramped.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree that 4" is perfect, at least for me. Maybe it was just the Droid X and Evo, but I found the form factor of 4.3" a little too much for me. I can't even go back to 3.7", though. I was playing with an Incredible after I got my Fascinate and I felt so cramped.

Right, not so much time to my face either, but I would like to be able to fit it in my pocket. If I was a woman with a purse it might not be a big deal, but there is only so much room in my front pocket.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Sweet pocket spot.....4.3 is actually good...the evo and the X have a chin and head that can use serious trimming.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Sweet pocket spot.....4.3 is actually good...the evo and the X have a chin and head that can use serious trimming.

Those chins drive me absolutely nuts. I think that is 75% of my problem with the size of the EVO and the X.

Sent from my Fascinate via Tapatalk Pro

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The borders are shrinking on these new devices, so a 4.3" display will FIT into the same form factor as the 4" today (like the Fascinate). This I am all for. The Droid X is way too big for normal hands, but future devices with the same screen size will be getting smaller in every other dimension. Some day, the phone will just be a piece of glass for the screen.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The borders are shrinking on these new devices, so a 4.3" display will FIT into the same form factor as the 4" today (like the Fascinate). This I am all for. The Droid X is way too big for normal hands, but future devices with the same screen size will be getting smaller in every other dimension. Some day, the phone will just be a piece of glass for the screen.

If its the same size case with less border and a bigger screen I'm all for that.

makav3ll1

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
My old phone before I got my fascinate, was a droid global, before that a voyager, I thought the screen was perfect size, I go to the droid global and the thing was massive, then for some reason it felt small, I traded it in for a fascinate and now when I play with my friends global im like damn this screens too small

Edit: It seems all of the 4.3inch screen phones are around the same size of the fascinate
Droid x 5.02, 2.58
Fascinate 4.92, 2.53
Bionic 4.96, 2.63
Thunderbolt 4.8, 2.6
Revolution 5.03, 2.63
New Samsung 5.1, 2.66

The thunderbolt and bionic are relatively small, the rest are actually bigger than the droid x. Crazy.

Last edited: