12-27-2011 11:34 AM
233 1234 ...
tools
    My next phone will not be another Samsung phone. >:C

Motorola Droid Bionic is where I'm going next.

Until then, I'll enjoy this one. It's a really great phone. Samsung just sucks at sending out updates.
    01-13-2011 11:11 PM
    Of course, I flash a new rom kernel and the new swype and now there will be another update >:/ never thought I would be saying that...
    01-14-2011 12:05 AM
    Did you mention that Windows users are having issues as well?
    I can't get it to work [on windows] trying any of the methods mentioned above. I used odin to flash back to DL01 (didn't have all the bloat to put back), then did the OTA update.

When I plug it in, it will try to media sync, then about 1 minute later it switches and says USB connected. I try to mount it, and it doesn't work. The drive is there (H: in my case), but when I click on it I get "Please insert a disk into removable disk (H".

Some more details:
    I plug in the USB cable, the AutoPlay dialog comes up and asks to Open Folder to View Files or run ToolLauncher-Bootstrap.exe. I just let the dialog sit there, and about 30 seconds later it goes away by itself. Then, my phone switches to USB mode, the computer makes the sound it does when you plug something it.

I then select Mount, and the AutoPlay dialog flashes on the screen, then goes away. It's at that point (I think) when it fails to connect, or loses connection.
    01-14-2011 12:05 AM
    I can't get it to work [on windows] trying any of the methods mentioned above. I used odin to flash back to DL01 (didn't have all the bloat to put back), then did the OTA update.

When I plug it in, it will try to media sync, then about 1 minute later it switches and says USB connected. I try to mount it, and it doesn't work. The drive is there (H: in my case), but when I click on it I get "Please insert a disk into removable disk (H".

Some more details:
    I plug in the USB cable, the AutoPlay dialog comes up and asks to Open Folder to View Files or run ToolLauncher-Bootstrap.exe. I just let the dialog sit there, and about 30 seconds later it goes away by itself. Then, my phone switches to USB mode, the computer makes the sound it does when you plug something it.

I then select Mount, and the AutoPlay dialog flashes on the screen, then goes away. It's at that point (I think) when it fails to connect, or loses connection.
    you need to be in debugging mode. plug your phone into your pc. resstart your phone. once its back up, mount the card. that should work for you.
    MsGadget13 likes this.
    01-14-2011 06:22 AM
    Nope, same thing. The little AutoPlay dialog comes up on the screen a few seconds after I mount, then disappears. It used to work so I know it's not the computer.

I'm going to uninstall the Samsung drivers and reset the phone and see what happens.

btw, the first time I connected after the update, I let the Verizon drivers install. Not sure if that makes a difference. I've since reinstalled the Samsung drivers from the "How to root" post.
    01-14-2011 08:57 AM
    Make sure your USB settings are set to MASS STORAGE also.
    01-14-2011 09:09 AM
    Make sure your USB settings are set to MASS STORAGE also.
    Yep, have that set too.
    01-14-2011 09:19 AM
    Once you set to mass Storage, when you hook up, pull the drop down and mount. That works every time for me.
    01-14-2011 09:51 AM
    Found this over at vzw:

Seems to be related to some new 'Media sync' option.

I did some playing around and the following seemed to let me 'mount'

the phones as before. ( But I dont like it. )

Hoping for some direction from Verizon tech on

a) what is media sync ?

b) how do I turn off permanently If I dont need or want to use it?

Unplug phone from usb cable.

Then on Phone... Menu...Settings..USB settings

Change to ' Ask on connection'.

then press home button.

Plug in USB cable.

When prompted...Press 'Mass storage'.

Now wait...wait..wait. Took about 30 to 45 seconds.

Annunciator bar should have usb symbol. Drag it open.

Press usb connected....Press Mount..

My laptop now recognized the SD card on E drive.

Copy files as usual.

When done...Open Anunciator bar and 'Turn Off' USB storage.

Sometimes when connecting I would see 'Media sync connecting'..press to Cancel. So I'd cancel.
    Primal-id and Billvert like this.
    01-14-2011 10:18 AM
    Basically, this is VZW trying to turn our phone to an iphone. When you plug in an iPhone, iTunes launches. They are doing the same thing with android. I wonder if there is an application in the app files, once rooted, that can be renamed (OLD) to stop this function.

Does anyone know?
    01-14-2011 10:23 AM
    Plug in USB cable.

When prompted...Press 'Mass storage'.

Now wait...wait..wait. Took about 30 to 45 seconds.

Annunciator bar should have usb symbol. Drag it open.

Press usb connected....Press Mount..

My laptop now recognized the SD card on E drive.
    Mine does the same thing. Except after I mount, my computer screen flashes something. I do see the new drive letter, but when I double click it I get the "Please insert a disk..." message. I'm going try it on another computer to determine if it's the computer or phone.
    01-14-2011 10:46 AM
    Basically, this is VZW trying to turn our phone to an iphone. When you plug in an iPhone, iTunes launches. They are doing the same thing with android.
    The only difference is iTunes works on PCs and Macs. Verizon's subpar program barely works on PCs
    01-14-2011 10:50 AM
    Was running stock DI01 then went to Sonofskywalker 3.0 (DL09) and that's when the problem started for me. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit/AMD Phenom Quad Core. I have the latest drivers installed for the phone. I have tried flashing back to full DI01 via Odin but that's not helping at all. Also tried formatting my SD card from my PC but that's not helping either. Hope this info is of some help.

EDIT: Another phone on my line, which has NEVER rooted nor installed anything other than factory/market applications/mods has this very same issue after the OTA update to DL09 so it's certainly nothing that was caused by a mis-coding from a custom rom.
    gunnermike53 likes this.
    01-14-2011 11:24 AM
    EDIT: Another phone on my line, which has NEVER rooted nor installed anything other than factory/market applications/mods has this very same issue after the OTA update to DL09 so it's certainly nothing that was caused by a mis-coding from a custom rom.
    thats good info. we had suspceted as much.
    01-14-2011 11:56 AM
    Was running stock DI01 then went to Sonofskywalker 3.0 (DL09) and that's when the problem started for me. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit/AMD Phenom Quad Core. I have the latest drivers installed for the phone. I have tried flashing back to full DI01 via Odin but that's not helping at all. Also tried formatting my SD card from my PC but that's not helping either. Hope this info is of some help.
    Interesting. I'm running Vista, but a 64 bit system. Maybe something is up with the drivers. I have an old tablet PC I'm going to try it on.
    01-14-2011 12:25 PM
    Not rooted. When first updated, I could not get my phone to mount to my pc. For some reason I can now. I did not do anything different.
    01-14-2011 04:47 PM
    I had to set my USB to ask on connection and it works every time.
    01-14-2011 05:23 PM
    Ok, so on another computer I downloaded the Samsung 32 bit drivers from the How To Root post. Installed and everything worked great.

I think it's an issue with 64 bit PC and Mac systems (new macs are 64 bit, right).

Another thing... It only took a couple minutes to install these 32 bit drivers, but on my 64 bit Vista system, the 64 bit drivers take forever to install.
    01-14-2011 05:24 PM
    After I updated I was getting the media-sync cd-rom drive nonsense as well. I eventually got it working mostly like normal, although I'm not sure exactly what I did to fix it.

The only problem now is that whenever I plug in, I'm asked if I want to download additional software, and it fires up Internet Explorer to a Verizon webpage. Once I close that stuff, it re-detects how I want it to.

Not the biggest problem, but horribly annoying.
    01-14-2011 05:44 PM
    After I updated I was getting the media-sync cd-rom drive nonsense as well. I eventually got it working mostly like normal, although I'm not sure exactly what I did to fix it.

The only problem now is that whenever I plug in, I'm asked if I want to download additional software, and it fires up Internet Explorer to a Verizon webpage. Once I close that stuff, it re-detects how I want it to.

Not the biggest problem, but horribly annoying.
    That's exactly what mine does. But one the "download additional software" dialog goes away, the AutoPlay dialog that allows you to decide what you want to do (open explorer to view files, view pictures, etc.) flashes on the screen and disappears.

I'm giving up and just going with an SD card reader for my computer.
    01-14-2011 06:01 PM
    Ok, so I'm not a quitter.

Uninstalled the Samsung drivers. Reinstalled with the September 2010 drivers from their site.

Plugged in the phone. Double clicked on the icon in the System Tray to safety remove hardware.

Found the Sansung device. Clicked on it. Clicked the Properties button. Then the Driver tab, then uninstalled the drivers.

Unplugged the phone. Put it in debug mode. Connected the phone again. It auto-detected and drivers were installed.

Opened up Windows Explored. Double clicked the drive assigned to the phone, and there were my files.

For me, it will only work with debug mode on.
    01-14-2011 06:22 PM

Uninstalled the Samsung drivers. Reinstalled with the September 2010 drivers from their site.

Plugged in the phone. Double clicked on the icon in the System Tray to safety remove hardware.

Found the Sansung device. Clicked on it. Clicked the Properties button. Then the Driver tab, then uninstalled the drivers.

Unplugged the phone. Put it in debug mode. Connected the phone again. It auto-detected and drivers were installed.

Opened up Windows Explored. Double clicked the drive assigned to the phone, and there were my files.

now restart your phone, then plug in your phone, mount. tell us what happens.
    01-14-2011 10:30 PM
    Ok, so on another computer I downloaded the Samsung 32 bit drivers from the How To Root post. Installed and everything worked great.

I think it's an issue with 64 bit PC and Mac systems (new macs are 64 bit, right).

Another thing... It only took a couple minutes to install these 32 bit drivers, but on my 64 bit Vista system, the 64 bit drivers take forever to install.
    i tried mine on a couple of windows 32 bit machines and a linux 32bit. still ahve problem.
    01-14-2011 10:31 PM

Nice job!

About 14 months from now we'll get the official fix (that's how long it will take Verizon to bloat it up), but this is pretty sweet!
    01-14-2011 10:31 PM
    I was stock, upgraded to DL09 via OTA straight from Verizon. Still stock, now can't mount. Tried hooking up the cable to my Macbook, shutting the phone down and restarting, that did not work. I cannot get the phone to mount.
    01-14-2011 10:34 PM
233 1234 ...