everyone having computer connection issues, please post here.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Just throwing this out there, because it was discussed in IRC, but, what if this is an issue with defective USB ports?

Its not impossible.

Things I have seen with messed up USB ports:

Phone only boots to boot loader,
Phone ids itself as a DIFFERENT phone to windows,
Phone doesnt charge, or thinks its charging even when not,
Phone thinks its connected to a PC when not.

I myself do not have this issue, which also makes it hard for me to try and help. I have not been able to reproduce it, at all, without massive kernel hacking (which was an accident). Even then, fixing the code fixed the problem.

Things I have tried:
I've gone through and removed all cd rom code from the mass storage driver. This is what made the issue happen for me.
I have gone and disabled the kernel CD ROM drivers...this had no effect.
I have sifted through the initramfs, and found....nothing.
I don't even know where to start looking in the rom.

All I know is, if we keep assuming its a software issue, I need help. I cannot do this alone, I am only one guy, and an amateur at that.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just throwing this out there, because it was discussed in IRC, but, what if this is an issue with defective USB ports?

Its not impossible.

Things I have seen with messed up USB ports:

Phone only boots to boot loader,
Phone ids itself as a DIFFERENT phone to windows,
Phone doesnt charge, or thinks its charging even when not,
Phone thinks its connected to a PC when not.

I myself do not have this issue, which also makes it hard for me to try and help. I have not been able to reproduce it, at all, without massive kernel hacking (which was an accident). Even then, fixing the code fixed the problem.

Things I have tried:
I've gone through and removed all cd rom code from the mass storage driver. This is what made the issue happen for me.
I have gone and disabled the kernel CD ROM drivers...this had no effect.
I have sifted through the initramfs, and found....nothing.
I don't even know where to start looking in the rom.

All I know is, if we keep assuming its a software issue, I need help. I cannot do this alone, I am only one guy, and an amateur at that.

its possible my phone usb port is bad. i had a similar thought and i tried hooking up my phone on my 5 computers and several others with the same results. so after like 20 computers i ruled out usb ports.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
When I say bad usb port...I mean on the phone.

I would never presume that all of these were bad computer usb ports.

Sorry I didnt specify.

Say did you ever get a replacement?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Sorry I didnt specify.

i figured thats what you ment. i just wanted to be REALLY sure so i tried a bunch of computers. my waranty replacement will be here on tue.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Sorry I didnt specify.

I doubt its a phone hardware failure, because all the failures just popped up when DL09 that would make for an insane coincidence

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
while I tend to agree, it happened with DJ05 too. Ive also had it happen with DI01 users, but that was after they Odin'ed and not with the stock software.

If we could verify there are some DI01 users out there that have this issue...that would be helpful.

That said, this verizon iso nonsense has been around since day one. It just didnt work in DH12, or DI01. It did in DJ05, and DL09...so once again, assuming software related problems here, I need help finding the missing link.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
while I tend to agree, it happened with DJ05 too. Ive also had it happen with DI01 users, but that was after they Odin'ed and not with the stock software.

If we could verify there are some DI01 users out there that have this issue...that would be helpful.

That said, this verizon iso nonsense has been around since day one. It just didnt work in DH12, or DI01. It did in DJ05, and DL09...so once again, assuming software related problems here, I need help finding the missing link.

i have permanantly. no matter what build im on. it started when i flashed back to di01 stock all in one from your dl09. i wanna be clear, i did not have while ON your dl09, it did not start until i flashed back to di01. and now it wont go away. for a time it would not be present while on unrooted dl09 official, and the one you had me try. once rooted it came back.

girlymissjulie

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if it might have something to do with the Samsung drivers that were already installed on my laptop? I will try it on my Windows 7 laptop that doesnt have the Samsung drivers and also doesn't have auto play disabled and I can also test it one of my other Windows XP pc's I have here and see what kind of results I get on those.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if it might have something to do with the Samsung drivers that were already installed on my laptop? I will try it on my Windows 7 laptop that doesnt have the Samsung drivers and also doesn't have auto play disabled and I can also test it one of my other Windows XP pc's I have here and see what kind of results I get on those.

i have not tried it on an xp machine so that could be useful. all of the computers withthe exception of my laptop, i had to set up drivers first. i tried both the ones from th forums and from samsung. my problem seems to be a bit more sever than most so you might have better results.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Maybe that's the common denominator....my phone did connect perfectly to my pc on stock unrooted DL09 (with the Samsung drivers installed) - it wasn't until I rooted that I hit this bug.

that was my thought until people started saying they were unrooted and got the update ota, and now they have it.

girlymissjulie

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i have not tried it on an xp machine so that could be useful. all of the computers withthe exception of my laptop, i had to set up drivers first. i tried both the ones from th forums and from samsung. my problem seems to be a bit more sever than most so you might have better results.

Ok, I'll give it a shot on some other computers, I have 2 Win 7's and 3 more Win XP pc's that have never had the drivers installed, so I'll give them a shot and report back the results. It'll have to be awhile, though, if I play with my toys for another minute without spending some quality time with my hubby he wont be a happy boy.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'll give it a shot on some other computers, I have 2 Win 7's and 3 more Win XP pc's that have never had the drivers installed, so I'll give them a shot and report back the results. It'll have to be awhile, though, if I play with my toys for another minute without spending some quality time with my hubby he wont be a happy boy.

lol. i know what you mean, my wife gets the same way. shes asleep now so i can play some.