everyone having computer connection issues, please post here.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Just to be clear, this is what I see if I don't follow #58 or #60.

Laptop: Windows 7, 32-bit.
Fascinate: USB debugging off & Mass Storage selected. Flashed DI01 then OTA to DL09.

This pops up:

ddrive.png

This is what I see when I open "My Computer":

disk.png

Notification Panel:

snap20110116_210011.png

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just to be clear, this is what I see if I don't follow #58 or #60.

Laptop: Windows 7, 32-bit.
Fascinate: USB debugging off & Mass Storage selected. Flashed DI01 then OTA to DL09.

disk.png

ddrive.png

snap20110116_210011.png

that cd rom that you cant open is what i always get. i dont ever see media sync connecting in the drop down on the phone. i have made sure it was selected. i have followed your instructions to the letter. maybe mine is wore than everyone elses because im a flash whore and i have android herpes.

burn1010

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
This worked like a charm for me...hit that thank button if it does for you too..

http://forum.androidcentral.com/fascinate-roms-hacks/52846-fascinate-shows-up-cd-rom.html#post516309

This is what worked for me:

1. Enable debugging
2. Power phone off
3. Plug phone to pc, and power phone on
4. mount

If I unplug phone and plug back in to pc, then mount, phone gets recognized again.

If I reboot phone and then plug back in without doing 1-4 phone does NOT get recognized again.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
that cd rom that you cant open is what i always get. i dont ever see media sync connecting in the drop down on the phone. i have made sure it was selected. i have followed your instructions to the letter. maybe mine is wore than everyone elses because im a flash whore and i have android herpes.

I also found these in Windows Device Manager with show hidden files enabled:

- DVD/CD-ROM drives: Samsung UMS CD-ROM USB Device.

- Other Devices: Samsung Android

Do you have either of these?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This is what worked for me:

1. Enable debugging
2. Power phone off
3. Plug phone to pc, and power phone on
4. mount

If I unplug phone and plug back in to pc, then mount, phone gets recognized again.

If I reboot phone and then plug back in without doing 1-4 phone does NOT get recognized again.

yeah, we have gotten that far. thats the same thing that happens to all of us. us pc users arent as bad off as the mac guys who cant mount at all. we are trying to figure out how to make the problem go away permenantly.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

Uninstall them. Put your phone into debugging mode and then set USB mode to ask me. In curious if it will then open as a CD drive with the 4 files. If it does double click on the driver file and let it for its thing. Once it's done go back to the notification panel and see if you have the option to mount or not.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Uninstall them. Put your phone into debugging mode and then set USB mode to ask me. In curious if it will then open as a CD drive with the 4 files. If it does double click on the driver file and let it for its thing. Once it's done go back to the notification panel and see if you have the option to mount or not.

trying that now. where did you get "thats how i roll2" theme from? i havent seen that one.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

no go. same thing happens. i get the windows cant access this volume.

tnez21

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
update: as long as im running the stock dl09 kernel all is good. once i flash adrynalyne 12/30 kernel im back to the same problem. i am gonna try the stock kernel for a bit and see how it goes, but i wont give up the battery life i get with 12/30 so i dont have to restart my phone once or twice a day.

I've noticed the same thing on my phone too. Seems to do it with both JT and adrynalyne 12/30 kernels. I also noticed that I lose the stock sammy/VZN boot animations when not using the stock dl09 kernel.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing on my phone too. Seems to do it with both JT and adrynalyne 12/30 kernels. I also noticed that I lose the stock sammy/VZN boot animations when not using the stock dl09 kernel.

hey man, i got gun jumpy when i posted this thread. i did not fully investigate and now i look silly. :(

would you mind posting on this thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...puter-connection-issues-please-post-here.html

we are trying to keep all these together, its easier to keep track of.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
and my clean rom doesnt contain a kernel.

Now you folks see why this is driving me nuts, there is no rhyme or reason to it.

This makes no sense to me, so I can totally understand your frustration. You must have some patience, because it would be driving me absolutely insane. I'd probably put the darn phone in the oven.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This makes no sense to me, so I can totally understand your frustration. You must have some patience, because it would be driving me absolutely insane. I'd probably put the darn phone in the oven.

lol. got that right.

should maybe this thread be closed so we dont have a bunch of differnet places posting for the same thing. next time i will be more careful before i post. sorry. anyway, its up to you, your the boss.

tnez21

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing on my phone too. Seems to do it only when running either JT or adrynalyne 12/30 kernels. I also noticed that I lose the stock sammy/VZN boot animations when not using the stock dl09 kernel. The Debugging method works but might go back to the stock kernel if i get tired of powering down the phone.

Last edited:

shaisk

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Here is what ive found that works for me so far, after digging around on the Verizon forums.

Without USB debugging on and usb mode set as mass storage, plugin to USB and the autorun CD rom asking if you want to install tool bootstrap pops up. Let it sit for about 30-40 seconds and it disappears, then the usb icon on the phone show up and the pull down menu will then show usb connected. Choose mount, wait another 10-15 seconds and it mounts.

Hope this helps others out.

Its really ridiculous that it took almost a week after the update to figure out a simple thing like how to move files back and forth to my F##$%G SD card.

Luckily I often check Android Central to find V Fascinate news, otherwise I would have discovered this bug unprepared.
The quoted solution (from post 69?) seems to be working for me on my XP netbook (still need to try on my 32bit Vista laptop) with a minor variation:
Instead of waiting for the installation request to go away, I started it and then canceled in the middle. after a few seconds I got the option to mount as USB mass storage device through the phone, just like it did pre dl09 update.
The only continuing annoyance is that each time I connect explorer pops up (my DEFAULT browser is firefox so go figure) with an invitation to install vcas crapware...

BTW besides this really annoying bug, dl09 is great, my GPS is locking faster than ever and I can open PDFs straight from my email without saving first to the SD card
now come on Froyo - I need support for hebrew fonts without rooting!

Reactions: Townie33

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
trying that now. where did you get "thats how i roll2" theme from? i havent seen that one.

When I added the additional ROM/Theme fields to the postbit area, I was screwing around to test it. "That's how I roll" doesn't exist. I just forgot to remove it haha. I think I was running the "Your Mom" ROM at one point too :p

Townie33

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
After playing the above "waiting game" with my Mac/Fascinate I finally got my pulldown screen to show the MOUNT option (no pun intended). But the storage device icon never appeared on the desktop??

Last edited:

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
When I added the additional ROM/Theme fields to the postbit area, I was screwing around to test it. "That's how I roll" doesn't exist. I just forgot to remove it haha. I think I was running the "Your Mom" ROM at one point too :p

DARN YOU!!! Playing with my emotions like that. :p
i would totally run your mom rom!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12