Fascinate crashes my computer with a blue screen of death

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So I've just recently started the whole rooting process (2 days ago). I've managed to root my phone and install su and cwm. As I started shopping roms and kernels (more like trying to learn wtf it all amounted to) my computer started crashing every 10 minutes BSOD style. The error is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and it pops up the moment I plug my phone in via USB. If I try to boot with phone connected 80%-100% chance of hanging at bios screen. If anyone can help I'd be super grateful. Relevant info is as follows.

WinXP
Samsung Fascinate DL09, kernel 2.6.29
Odin, CWM, and SU all from how to root post on forum
Drivers from forum, could not uninstall old drivers properly (seem to uninstall but still show in program list) installed drivers from forum over old (I think it worked)

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
No such luck sadly enough. Plugged it again and down I went. Odd though, i've installed bloat freezer, and frozen a bunch of the verizon crapware on my phone. Could one of these apps possibly be my culprit? I don't think I've frozen anything that wants to connect to my computer, but I know I haven't seen media sync (loaded with the new update) since my computer started crashing. Haven't frozen that though. Hmm, i'll try freezing it and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Bah. No luck with freezing media sync. Should I try removing CWM and unrooting and see if that fixes it? If so is there a thread I can try? I'm sure I've seen one but I'm not sure if it was here or another forum.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Freezing the media sync did nothing for me. Booted into my Ubuntu partition that I don't really use alot, and it isn't crashing the way my windows does. Any further help would be greatly appreciated, I'm kind of at a loss since I use windows for just about everything, and don't want to lose netflix while i'm workin on my phone.

joe007

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
To be clear, the PC only BSODs when you plug the phone in?

Dried a different cable?
Have you tried a different USB Port?
32 vs. 64 bit drivers?
Reinstall the 32 or 64 drivers?

chkdsk and or memtest?

This only happened after DL09 was applied (OTA or CWM)?

Is USB debug on?

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I got DL09 OTA, and then rooted, and installed CWM (first time for both), I'm on windows XP 32bit. USB debug, and different USB port, different cable, don't make any difference. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers to no avail. Using 32 bit drivers. Stripped all of my peripherals, cards, and RAM, and rebuilt from the ground up on piece at a time with no culprits to be found. Should I try and load a different CWM and SU?

According to Rom manager my CWM is 2.5.1.0, and i'm suffering the broken haptic feedback so i'll need to find different CWM to fix that from what i understand.

My SU says it's 2.3.6.1 w/ binary 2.3.1

I guess i'll go look for a new CWM and odin that baby in there and see what happens, when I get a chance. Have to do it from linux though I guess.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Bah. So it's definitively a bad driver issue I guess. Reflashed CWM, stupid fast kernel, still crashing. Can't get the driver to uninstall, so I guess i'm gonna go via safe mode and try to remove it once more before I call samsung in the morning.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Bah. So it's definitively a bad driver issue I guess. Reflashed CWM, stupid fast kernel, still crashing. Can't get the driver to uninstall, so I guess i'm gonna go via safe mode and try to remove it once more before I call samsung in the morning.

why dont you trying flashing it back to stock via odin and see what happens

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Found the post about how to go back to stock. I have my sneaking suspicions that when I plug the phone back in it it'll crash again and I won't get chance to use odin. I'll try it tomorrow when I get a chance.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Get your computer BIOS current and hardware drivers (99%) of cause....wow....no one has recommended that yet....should be a point of R, then move....

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Found the post about how to go back to stock. I have my sneaking suspicions that when I plug the phone back in it it'll crash again and I won't get chance to use odin. I'll try it tomorrow when I get a chance.
Well when you pull the battery and put it in download mode it uses generic drivers so it may not happen.
I suggest this just to eliminate any suspicion of it being software related on the phones side
follow these directions
http://forum.androidcentral.com/fas...sh-full-package-dl09-stock-di01-via-odin.html

It is not the phone! bottom line....

Johnly is most likely correct. besides uninstalling and reinstalling drivers i dont know what else could cause this.

Johnly do you have any suggestions on how to remedy this. i dont know enough to help out on the computer driver sides of things.

Reactions: Sheepdog Elite

fire n ice

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Try revo uninstaller. It'll scan your registry and hd for any files leftover after running a standard uninstall

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
it wasn't clear to me did you try unfreezing some of your Apps?
Do you have any other usb devices you can try plugging in?
You could also try booting into safe mode on your PC.
I hate to see you rebuilding your phone. My instinct tells me it's your PC.

And you definitely should run memtest.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So ya, I unfroze everything, tried a fresh kernel, new rom, no help. chkdsk and memtest yeilded no improvement or fresh info. Gonna try the revo uninstaller and see if I can nuke this bad driver with it. fun :mad:

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Gonna have to boot over to linux to pull that off. Ended up with a program called easy uninstaller which nuked my bad driver no problem. Sadly enough I plugged my phone in again and it crashed. AGAIN! :mad::confused::(:mad:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae