Newbie needing help

mgindi26

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok i got my Fascinate 27 days ago so I have 3 days to decide whether or not to keep it here are my questions.
1. Should i go back to my blackberry until the LTE4g is available and use my upgrade on that? And what are the drawbacks will 4g be more expensive?
2. I did the OTA update and now when i hook my phone to my pc it reads it as a cd drive and tells me to put in a cd before it would let me just drop things into it
(like movies) so how can i add movies now to my Fascinate?
3.I thought that android played flash movies i went to a website and tried to play a flash movie and all that came on the screen was a flash symbol and a 9 (i figured that meant that the movie requires flash 9 ) so how do i get flash?
4. I need hebrew fonts checked the marketplace and there was no such thing but for some reason my brother who has anincredible has Hebrew so what gives?

Generally i like the phone but i just thought it would do more.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
1. I believe Android is far superior to Blackberry, but I also suppose that depends on what you're using your phone for. I was an avid BB fan but they just can't compare with the apps. Yes, 4g will be a premium service with an extra charge.

2. That is an issue that some people have had after getting the update. I have not experienced it myself, so I have not looked into solutions, but there are a few threads about it here you should check out.

3. The fascinate DOES have flash, but only 9.1. Movies imbedded into websites require flash 10, which is only supported on Android 2.2/Froyo. It will surely be nice when we finally do get 2.2, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

4. Find out where he got them from. Odds are from the market, which you'd be able to get the exact same app yourself.

fire n ice

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Killa, do you have a source for the extra 4g charge? I was told by a rep that the only premium charge is for the modems, not the phone plans.

Sent from my SCH-I500

mgindi26

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if there will be a premium i didnt say there is one. I'm just wondering if instead of using my upgrade now on my fascinate if i should wait for the 4g phones

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I'd return it and wait. I have a Fascinate and love it, but did you see the phones that will be coming out in the coming months? Check out the CES coverage on this site. There are some really cool phones. And some had nice 4.3 inch screens, great for watching movies since it sounds like that's what you like to do.

I think Samsung had a 4g phone they displayed at CES too. So if you like the Fascinate, you may want to wait.

NovaSS369

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I agree, not to go against my favorite phone I have ever had but that HTC Thunderbolt looks nuts and there will be all new Samsung Galaxy S phones apparently? I say return it and wait it out I don't think you will regret it.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
You should wait for 4G.
Wait, you should also wait for the Gingerbread OS.
Wait, you should also wait for dual core processors.
Wait, you should also wait for near field communications.
Wait................
So on and so on. You could end up waiting forever.... :)

Here is what I am doing:
I've had Windows Mobile devices forever (as in, WINCE, PPC, etc). WinMo support is dead, and the new Win Phone 7 doesn't interest me. The only thing out there that interests me is Android. But, my current device is less then 2 years old, so I didn't get a discounted price. So I found a good clean used Fascinate. With it I will learn Android. Then, in about a year, there are likely to be dual core processor devices with 4G ability which will be REAL nice to have. Then I will use my 2 year update for one of those.

jtalker1965

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah good head and wait!!! Because after those come in a few more months there will be something faster and way cooler and next year who knows?!?!?! I don't want to sound so negitive but there will be something always quicker and faster. Once we get out 2.2 they everyone will start crying wanting to know where gingerbread. The phones will keep getting better and improving faster. No different than computer and cars. Everything will improve. Just my .02

cjmiller1973

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
If you like the phone as it is right now keep it. Sure LTE and dual core procs sound great but they will likely go through their own growing pains. Even though there were/are known issues when I got my fascinate it was nice that they were known and most had known fixes...being an early adopter can be both exciting and painful.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Generally i like the phone but i just thought it would do more.

what exactly were you hoping for this phone to do that it doesn't?

honestly, aside from 4G and froyo, the fascinate stacks up well against the new phones that are coming out. they aren't that much more impressive to me than what I have now. but if you aren't happy with the fascinate, then I would just return it and wait until the thunderbolt or some other CES announcements come out.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Keep it so you are grandfathered in with the new upgrade policy that Verizon just introduced.
You can still upgrade after a year as you currently stand.
If you bring it back, next phone you get has to be with you for 20 months.

Reactions: mgindi26

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Keep it so you are grandfathered in with the new upgrade policy that Verizon just introduced.
You can still upgrade after a year as you currently stand.
If you bring it back, next phone you get has to be with you for 20 months.

That's right in fact. On the 16th you officially won't recieve another new every two credit, or be able to annual upgrade any more. The fascinate is a great phone, and depending on where you live odds are good you won't see 4g for a year still. Not really worth the trouble. All of the new phones are going to be venturing into unfamiliar territory where as the fascinate is at the top of the pile that everyone has already worked all the bugs and wrinkles out of. 3G, totally stable and reliable, single core 1ghz processors, totally stable and reliable, when 2.2 rolls out, froyo is totally stable and reliable. You'll be craving something new really bad by the time you can get a new phone, by then you should hit the top of the next stride and be able to ride the wave of satisfaction as long as you do your shopping carefully.

Reactions: mgindi26

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci