Has verizon ever actually said anything about updating the Fascinate to Froyo?

omelet1978

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I bought my fascinate in October and have been waiting like everyone else for 2.2. Are there any official statements from verizon about the update?

I might file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to see if verizon will let me get a different phone. This would help. I know it's a long shot but you never know.

jtalker1965

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Really?!?! Filing a complaint with BBB? I needed a good laugh.
No one is forcing anyone here to keep the phone. Put it on eBay sell it and buy another one. when 2.2 does come 90% of those will start complaining where is 2.3, 2.4 or ginger bread and when will we get it?!?!?!
I never heard of 2.2 till i got on this site. Nobody at Verison mentioned 2.2 to me when I go this phone on FREE PHONE FRIDAY at Best Buy. They mentioned up dated like BB does from time to time. I would own this phone 10 X more then the out dated BlackBerry I had. Just my .02

clcutts

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
You are frustrated, just like everyone else. Who knows if it is Verizon's fault or Samsung's fault. As an owner, I just know its not mine.

Best thing to do is root your phone and keep an eye on the ROM's that should be coming soon.

Be grateful of the awesome dev community, I know I am.

skipper2

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
One little caveat is that Verizon sells Fascinate specific items which have little red stickers on them that say "The audio port will be usable with the Froyo update". Now if they fail to deliver on that they will have to take back all of the car docks and other items that they sold.

Steve B

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
BBB has no effect on a company verizons size.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
It can work. It has for me. There's no guarantee but, it can work. I should add that I wouldn't attempt those kind of complaints if you don't have legitimate issues. I'm not saying anyone here does not but, just an FYI, that's all.

Last edited:

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
BBB has no effect on a company verizons size.

Perhaps not, but filing a complaint with your state's Attorney General certainly can. I had a somewhat similar issue many years ago with an expensive video card that was advertised as supporting OpenGL (or would in a forthcoming driver update). I purchased the card and waited, month after month for the updated driver to be released. The company kept telling me it would come soon, it would come soon, but it never did. After a year, they said that they had stopped development for that card and offered me a $100 credit towards one of their newer cards that did support OpenGL.

I filed a complaint with the NY State Attorney General, and within a week, I was contacted by the company with an offer to replace my card with the newer one, free of charge. Fair is fair, and if something is advertised as supporting a certain standard, the company has an obligation to follow through on that support.

Not sure how appropriate this example is to our phone, since no one has come out and said we won't get 2.2. I'm sure we will get it at some point, so I'm not terribly upset.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering whether the FCC would be interested. They're trying to enforce net neutrality to ensure customers have fair access to the Internet, so maybe they should enforce "OS neutrality" to ensure carriers don't block access to upgrades that work on certain phones.

I realize it's a long shot, but without 2.2, I'm not able to run all current apps -- that's the thing that really frosts me.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering whether the FCC would be interested. They're trying to enforce net neutrality to ensure customers have fair access to the Internet, so maybe they should enforce "OS neutrality" to ensure carriers don't block access to upgrades that work on certain phones.

I realize it's a long shot, but without 2.2, I'm not able to run all current apps -- that's the thing that really frosts me.

Probably the only thing that will change is carriers will only advertise phones as coming with the OS they're currently on, and making no statements about updates. That way, no one can complain.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Probably the only thing that will change is carriers will only advertise phones as coming with the OS they're currently on, and making no statements about updates. That way, no one can complain.

That would be an improvement in some ways. At least we'd know going in what we'd have in the long run.

I wonder if we'll reach a point where we can buy "Verizoned up" phones with carrier and OEM apps at a discount or "plain vanilla" phones (like the Nexus) at a premium.

n3rdcor3

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if we'll reach a point where we can buy "Verizoned up" phones with carrier and OEM apps at a discount or "plain vanilla" phones (like the Nexus) at a premium.

I dont see this happening only because the way that carrier company gets more people to use there carrier specific apps is to force them to see them every time they open there phone.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I dont see this happening only because the way that carrier company gets more people to use there carrier specific apps is to force them to see them every time they open there phone.

Yea, they *could* make up the difference between revenue lost by not forcing their apps on users by charging extra, but the complexity of sales and support would probably be an issue.

I do think this is an issue that Google will need to address at some point. You can't deny the simplicity of Apple's approach - an update comes out, and everyone, on any phone, can update within hours of release. With Android, you have carriers proudly proclaiming that they'll shoot to have updates released within 5 months of Google releasing a new version. FIVE MONTHS??!?!?!

It's a headache for everyone - users, carriers, manufacturers, and the bad press will make it a headache for Google.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It works for Apple because there are only a handful of devices, all running the same (for the most part) hardware. A lot easier to get updates out that way.

n3rdcor3

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Is there a reason why the Galaxy S line has differnet versions of the same phone on 4 different companys?? Did they not see the problems that they would of had with updates??

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Is there a reason why the Galaxy S line has differnet versions of the same phone on 4 different companys?? Did they not see the problems that they would of had with updates??

Ask VZW why their Fascinate has to be different from everyone else. Ask AT&T how come their must be different. Ask VZW and Sprint how come their galaxy s device has CDMA radios and AT&T has GSM.

Samsung can't dictate to carriers what device the carriers can carry; it is the carriers that decide that. And that is why Galaxy S line in the US are different from each other.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Ask VZW why their Fascinate has to be different from everyone else. Ask AT&T how come their must be different. Ask VZW and Sprint how come their galaxy s device has CDMA radios and AT&T has GSM.

Samsung can't dictate to carriers what device the carriers can carry; it is the carriers that decide that. And that is why Galaxy S line in the US are different from each other.

And to make matters worse, we get the "F" word. "F" meaning fragmentation. Not only from subtle changes to each Galaxy S phone by carrier, but to the OS as well.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
And to make matters worse, we get the "F" word. "F" meaning fragmentation. Not only from subtle changes to each Galaxy S phone by carrier, but to the OS as well.

To be honest I am not really concerned about the fragmentation of Android caused by manufactures. To me sooner or later some these manufactures drop out of the android club as their products get overshadowed by other more successful companies. For example Panasonic made only a half hearted attempt to announce their tablet, SonyEricson can't get their act together, Hunwei & Acer has yet to emerge as serious contenders and HP did not even bother. This same competition resulted for all of those new dual core devices (tablets and phones)

However carrier caused fragmentation is a different story altogether and is more worrisome since they dictate to these manufacturers as to what they want on their devices. And by doing so shape android.

RunSilent23

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Do the math...

I bought my fascinate in October and have been waiting like everyone else for 2.2. Are there any official statements from verizon about the update?

I might file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to see if verizon will let me get a different phone. This would help. I know it's a long shot but you never know.

How long have you or any other Fascinate owned your phone without Froyo? At most, four and 1/2 months! Very few platforms experience a major update in that time frame. Not only that, a maintenance update HAS been issued.

The Fascinate was the last of the Galaxy S phones to be delivered to the carriers. We shouldn't get all shocked and shaken if it is the last to get Froyo since it is the newest. Patience is the order of the day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma