Battery life - display over 50%

flamingoezz

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
i fall asleep with my phone at 70-80% and wake up with a dead phone..this is my first smart phone so I thought that was normal, but i know someone with the same phone whos lasts him a whole day with use.

i went to my battery use and over 50% is display..i keep my brightness at like 65-75% through a brightness widget. my friend has 8% of his battery use from display. I'm wondering if this is normal and what I can do to get my battery to last?

i dont use task killers. i use launcher pro plus and im not rooted if that helps at all.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If you're comfortable with the process, root, install Clockwork Mod recovery, and flash a custom ROM and/or kernel. With the right setup you will easily get two days out of your battery

Edit: If you aren't comfortable doing that, in your Settings>Sound & display set your screen timeout to a lower setting, and adjust your brightness down to a lower level. Also, using a darker background can help significantly

phommk

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i get around 38-42% battery use on display with average use. i have my screen brightness at 20% and power saving mode on.

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
hmm..is it normal to have 50% battery use on display? im wondering if theres not a problem with the phone.

Perfectly normal, actually it could be higher than that if you use the phone a lot. Its the same story as on a laptop, you can affect your battery life by as much as 50% if you have the screen dimmed vs. full bright. Our phones are a little bit better since they are self-illuminating (no backlight), but they are still hungry for juice.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
My display takes up 70% of my battery on a daily basis with the brightness at 30%. Its perfectly normal. Your display will always take up the most battery power.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I'd definitely call that normal, my display is usually over 50%. Right now I'm sitting at 64% (and I've had it higher than that a lot of the time as well).

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
hmm..is it normal to have 50% battery use on display? im wondering if theres not a problem with the phone.
It all depends on how you look at it. For me, a percent like that would tell me that something is off. On my phone the android system uses the most battery, followed by the display at 15% tops.

I don't know how your phone operate. If the android system is normally the highest, and now It's not... then there might be an app, or a confliction going on with some apps.

If you can't find the source that's causing this...then you may have to clear storage.

I hope you have had this problem resolve by now.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the system doesn't measure the actual power being consumed by the device, like the display. I believe it is telling you how much CPU time is consumed managing the device. In other words, if you are using live wall paper, it will be high. For a simple static display, it will be low.

I have been playing with charger current for a while, and I know that if I display a GPS map screen in mostly white, and turn the display intensity all the way up, the charger can't keep up with the current draw. And on battery power, you aren't going to get but maybe 2 hours. Yet the display useage number doesn't really change much.

That is the way it appears to me anyway.

For more battery life, use as dark a screen wallpaper that you can, in static, not live. Set the screen to auto, or turned way down.

IMHO and all.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the system doesn't measure the actual power being consumed by the device, like the display. I believe it is telling you how much CPU time is consumed managing the device. In other words, if you are using live wall paper, it will be high. For a simple static display, it will be low.

I have been playing with charger current for a while, and I know that if I display a GPS map screen in mostly white, and turn the display intensity all the way up, the charger can't keep up with the current draw. And on battery power, you aren't going to get but maybe 2 hours. Yet the display useage number doesn't really change much.

That is the way it appears to me anyway.

For more battery life, use as dark a screen wallpaper that you can, in static, not live. Set the screen to auto, or turned way down.

IMHO and all.

+1 .... Live wallpapers will kill your battery quickly. Darker wallpapers do help but I still use what I like when it comes to that and lower your brightness levels.

dumpin_donughts

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I found that if you lower your brightness level on a PER APP BASIS then the display use will drop SIGNFICANTLY. Just like light wallpapers, apps that have light color schemes eat battery. I like InvisiBright and Quick Settings... InvisiBright only does brightness, but it lets you see whatever app you're using while adjusting. Quick Settings will block the screen, but it has other quick toggles to save battery.

invisibright - Search Android Apps on AppBrain

Quick Settings - Android app on AppBrain