Proper way to close apps?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I know the phone apparently does a good job of managing its memory usage, etc. On my BB, if I just hit the home button the program would stay open in the background, potentially taking up memory and battery power. On most programs you had to basically back out of them to close them.

So how about on Android? Is it a big deal to just hit the home button and not "officially" close a program? Will that cause battery usage and memory issues slowing the phone down? Or does the Android OS manage things well enough that it doesn't matter, and, if not officially closed will be more available for quicker access when you go back to it?

FNDomination

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
If you don't back out of the app, it will still be running. Yes, it will pop back up just where you left it. I don't know about battery usage and what not, but I am guessing it is more draining to leave a ton of apps running wild on your device when you aren't using them.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I know the phone apparently does a good job of managing its memory usage, etc. On my BB, if I just hit the home button the program would stay open in the background, potentially taking up memory and battery power. On most programs you had to basically back out of them to close them.

So how about on Android? Is it a big deal to just hit the home button and not "officially" close a program? Will that cause battery usage and memory issues slowing the phone down? Or does the Android OS manage things well enough that it doesn't matter, and, if not officially closed will be more available for quicker access when you go back to it?

Yeah , it manages things differently, Otherwise who would need android. If you really need to close out of an app you long hold the home button and hit task manager, from there you can end an app. But technically you dont need to do that. apps are not running in the background they are held iin like a snap shot state. unless its suppose to be running, like a music player.

And of course if its held in a suspended state when you call on the app it will load faster.

Reactions: vluc

vluc

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah , it manages things differently, Otherwise who would need android. If you really need to close out of an app you long hold the home button and hit task manager, from there you can end an app. But technically you dont need to do that. apps are not running in the background they are held iin like a snap shot state. unless its suppose to be running, like a music player.

And of course if its held in a suspended state when you call on the app it will load faster.

This is good to know. Coming from the WinMo world, I have to re-adjust to a new reality. So used to always making sure something is closed. This new way saves me steps and time.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Thanks. But what about it affecting memory/battery usage? Is it a significant amount or not something to worry about?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. But what about it affecting memory/battery usage? Is it a significant amount or not something to worry about?

Like i said it was designed to work this way so by shuting down apps that are not running anyway you will not improve battery life. things that need to be shut down to save battery life is things that remain polling or in other words searching for data. so widgets that are looking for news, or facebook looking for updates. email clients ...
if you are sleeping at night or dont care about widgets updating what you could do is disable background data.

settings>accounts and sync>uncheck enable background data

you will still get calls and texts but if you want to update your mail and news updates you will have to do it manually, but it will save you hours of battery life

Reactions: etmarcr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance