Stupid Noob question

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Its a leaked program from samsung that lets you flash firmware to your phone...go tio tge roms and hacks section of the fascinate forums and look at my thread. How to flash DL09 and stock DI01 via odin....that should give you an idea of what it is
What is ODIN?! Everyone keeps talking about it and I don't quite get what exactly it is?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Reactions: willenium_1217

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty much a noob too as I've not had the cojones to flash anything just yet (I'm relatively tech savvy, but without doing quite a bit of research it's hard to know exactly what to do - my opinion perhaps I'm not looking hard enough)

My understanding is that Odin is a utility which will allow you to flash your phone's ROM/firmware - most useful for returning a phone back to stock/default if something ends up going wrong in your hacking. It's like a fail-safe reset button if really screw up your phone. amirite?

Odin Restore files to get you to stock - xda-developers

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
It's a program used to flash parts of the internal memory of the phone. You initially use it to flash a new recovery (Clockwork), and you can use it to flash new roms and kernels, but these are more typically flashed on the phone itself by using ClockworkMod recovery.

For the most part, once you've used it to flash Clockwork, you can pretty much do all you need on the phone through Clockwork. The 2 exceptions are if you want to flash an upgraded (or downgraded) modem.bin. These always need to be flashed with Odin. Exception 2 is if you mess things up beyond the ability of Clockwork's tools to fix.

Think of Odin as a lower-level tool for flashing stuff to your phone.

Reactions: willenium_1217

willenium_1217

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Great answers. I think I get it now. I kept seeing ODin with clockwork and now I understaind the differences. You guys are awesome. Maybe I will get the balls to flash soon! But just to make sure, if I download ODIN and the fresh stock of DL09 and keep them on my computer, I can go ahead and Flash all the roms and kernels I want and if I run into problems, I can just use ODIN to get me back to stock?

Last edited:

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Great answers. I think I get it now. I kept seeing ODin with clockwork and now I understaind the differences. You guys are awesome. Maybe I will get the balls to flash soon! But just to make sure, if I download ODIN and the fresh stock of DL09 and keep them on my computer, I can go ahead and Flash all the roms and kernels I want and if I run into problems, I can just use ODIN to get me back to stock?

You becha. Usually you won't have to resort to it, but it sure is a quick and easy way to correct any disaster. I have an Android folder on my PC full of goodies like that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles