so does this mean our data and speed are gonna slow down now?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Yes I'm.shocked AC hasn't posted yet but if your in top 5% heavy data usage bw is going to throttle your speeds. VZW is also going to compress your images so that hd image is going to look fuzzy

Sent from DroidX running DarkSlide4.2

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes I'm.shocked AC hasn't posted yet but if your in top 5% heavy data usage bw is going to throttle your speeds. VZW is also going to compress your images so that hd image is going to look fuzzy

Sent from DroidX running DarkSlide4.2

He was referencing the iPhone launch #s, not the VZW throttling. But you are right, this throttling is definitely a bad thing and a bad precedent to set. I am pretty PO'd about it myself.

That said, the blogs are a little hysterical about it, and we will have to see what is actually implemented. The VZW release about it said they "may" lower bandwidth for people with "extraordinarily high" data rate, and that fall in the top 5%. The exact quote is below:

"Verizon Wireless strives to provide customers the best experience when using our network, a shared resource among tens of millions of customers. To help achieve this, if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5 percent of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand. Our proactive management of the Verizon Wireless network is designed to ensure that the remaining 95 percent of data customers aren't negatively affected by the inordinate data consumption of just a few users."

It definitely sucks, no getting around that. Having said that, we probably need to see just what is actually implemented, rather than what may be. Most sites are taking quite an alarmist position on this (rightly so IMO), but let's see in actuality who is affected and how bad it is. If it is me, I will be plenty mad.

Last edited:

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
meh, they already had the clause in the TOS, guess they're just now getting around to actually enforcing it. And doesn't already Tmobile throttle anything over either 5 or 10GB? And my data speeds have gone hell over the past year, just outside of Raleigh, NC. Before I averaged 1Mbps+ download and now it's down to 500-700Kbps

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not surprised about the throttling of the data. I'm not a heavy data user, so I don't feel my speeds should suffer from someone that uses huge amounts of data. But, VZW does say unlimited data, so anyone should be able to use as much as they want.

As far as the iPhone sales go, no surprise there either. Phones now-a-days are based on how many apps available for them. The Android Market is about 1/3 the size of the App Store, but there are only a handful of quality apps (some of them mine :) ). That's why Google had to hire developers to create quality apps for their Market.

Anyway, the iPhone is a nice phone, but Android users jumping to the iPhone will be back. The iPhone is smooth and nice, but after a couple months leaves you wanting more, IMO anyway.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Anyway, the iPhone is a nice phone, but Android users jumping to the iPhone will be back. The iPhone is smooth and nice, but after a couple months leaves you wanting more, IMO anyway.
I totally agree here. Not so much about the quality apps available in Android (yes there is a lot of crap, but also plenty of great apps IMO), but I definitely agree with you're iPhone statement. Nice phone, smooth experience, Android users will be missing things they like after switching.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I know he was talking iPhone. But it seems VZWis making a lot changez the past month preparing for iPhone and screwing loyal customers. It's like Apple final said u want the iPhone fine but your not getting the vasolin.

hillview

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone ruins everything. I wish it would just go away.

The iphone started it all. That's why android is here, for competition :) . By the way everyone that is jumping on the verizon/ iphone bandwagon is gonna be pissed when the iphone 5 comes out in a few months and they are stuck in a 2 year contract lol !

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Just the fact that my area will now be packed with Verizon iphone users will probably affect my data speed, regardless of throttling :( Not happy about the iphone coming to verizon.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't doubt that there will be a difference - new verizon smartphone buyers that didn't want an android, plus at&t switchers. It's just more load on the network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol