honestly, will you get another smartphone after your fascinate 18 months is up?

tropolis

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
im leaning towards no right now, and i love the fascinate.

what i dont love is paying 80 bucks a month when i use less then 200 minutes a month. and what I dont like is being charged the max price for data when i use less then a gig a month.

if verizon can offer me a pay as you go type plan, with a tiered data plan, im in, lets play.

if not, i could see myself going back to prepaid pay as you go completely.

makav3ll1

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Well I mean, there are alot of options. Smartphones with low monthy payment data plans. Feature phones that dont use monthly data payment plans. (Most high-end feature phones require data plans fyi) If your worried about the money, just go to a place like boost mobile, or metro pcs, where u can get unlimited everything for less than 80$ a month, they dont have as high-end cellphones, but they do have some mid-range android phones. If you choose that route you can always buy a verizon phone and get it hacked to work on metro/boost/ect.

@Jthompson, 15$ = 150mb plan. That plan is now gone.

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I know two things.

I will get another smartphone.

I, who was an early NYNEX subscriber and have had the same wireless carrier all the way through, more than 20 years now, am going to port my number to another carrier. I have totally, completely and finally had it with VZW's failure to support their phones.

tropolis

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
i can afford paying it, that's not the problem.

the problem is justifying why i should pay that price for not getting 80 bucks of phone out of it. just wish I could personalize the phone for me, and not be punished for other people who are using 20 gigs a month.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
$137 for unlimited talk, text and data on Verizon. Alot, yes. Worth it, to me, yes.

My fascinate is my only line. I send over 200 texts per month. I use over 2gb of data a month. I need drop dead reliable national coverage. I use it for work as well.

Going forward I will always have a smartphone with an unlimited plan, likely on Verizon.

18 months from now depends on 4g coverage and whether unlimited data still exists. I may wait to upgrade, I may not.

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I plan on buying another this spring. But I buy a lot of phones. I'll keep the fascinate as my main phone for a while longer but will probably replace it before its two years old.

makav3ll1

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
$137 for unlimited talk, text and data on Verizon. Alot, yes. Worth it, to me, yes.

My fascinate is my only line. I send over 200 texts per month. I use over 2gb of data a month. I need drop dead reliable national coverage. I use it for work as well.

Going forward I will always have a smartphone with an unlimited plan, likely on Verizon.

18 months from now depends on 4g coverage and whether unlimited data still exists. I may wait to upgrade, I may not.

Metro Pcs, Unlimited everything. 50$. Sister has that deal, WITH a fascinate ;)

@jnewell, you really think verizon is crappy support, there the best out there over all other major carriers.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking about the Thunderbolt, but I'm going to wait until it's been out for a bit first before making a decision. I want to see what sort of major issues (if any) people are reporting with it before I run out and drop a bunch of money on it. Aside from that, I'm still quite satisfied with my Fascinate.

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

200 texts a month thats it. Ive done that in a day b4

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
im leaning towards no right now, and i love the fascinate.

what i dont love is paying 80 bucks a month when i use less then 200 minutes a month. and what I dont like is being charged the max price for data when i use less then a gig a month.

After my contract is up, I'll probably wait until another deal like Best Buy's Free Phone Fridays and pick up something as long as it's free. If the carrier isn't going to drop the cost of the data plan after the phone is fully subsidized after the two years, why not? Especially if you can get the phone for little to nothing.

As far as the plan cost, I hear 'ya. I was paying the same for my iPhone on AT&T before this. I use Skype for the majority of my calling, so I never used many minutes, and I'm almost always on a WiFi connection, so I barely used any data. With the fascinate, I just added a line to my wife's family plan ($9.99) and I recently dropped to the lower data plan, 250 megs I think for $15. So for $25 a month plus tax, I'm not complaining.

$80 for a single line with the lowest minutes and a data plan is a bit absurd considering what family plans cost. I think we're paying about $120 a month for 4 lines, 1400 minutes and my data plan. A single line with 450 minutes and data should cost $50, $60 max.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I for one am waiting for a Super AMOLED display with at least 1ghz dual core, 1 gb of ram, and 32gb out of the box. I'm really hoping I can wait for a samsung that lives up to it. The software has been slow, but totally worth the wait if DL30 is a sign of what they've been up to. Obviously they've had a month and a half to work on it since DL30, if it comes out next month I would imagine it's going to be immaculate, and every bit of great.

jjcasillas15

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the Fascinate, considering the lack of support from Verizon,Samsung... But will most likely upgrade as soon as I can. Have 4 phones on my account so have one coming up in Sept. Might jump to the Thunderbolt or wait and see what else is in store...

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Nexus phone. Regardless if it is a Samsung or an HTC. I want pure google without any carrier putting their crap on it. I will get updates directly from google. That is the best way to go next time. No waiting for something from the carrier with broken promises. Tmo has excellent customer service. They need to, to compete.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Honestly with a smartphone you could get by without a calling plan at all. I use less than a hundred minutes a month, I'd love a Verizon plan that is cheaper and has fewer minutes.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Ditto on the calling plan. My billing period ends on the 4th so I just got my bill the other day, and last month I used a total of 94 minutes.

Now, a part of that is due in part to most of my talk time going to either other Verizon customers or on nights or weekends, when it doesn't count towards my minutes anyway.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Honestly if Vigin Mobile had better phones I'd go with them, I could easily get by with 300 minutes a month, and for $25 that's a steal.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Heck, I'll likely be getting one before my update date. I need a world phone, preferably by July so I don't have to revert back to my Blackberry for my trip to Europe.

Dracolan

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For me it would depend on what is out when my upgrade comes around. I was going to get a Droid X but ended up with the Fascinate because of Best Buys free phone Friday. I was a little disappointed at first but then I rooted and have DL30 currently running and could not be happier with my phone :)

But who knows what they will have out in another year and a half when my upgrade comes around.