What happened to my root??

MParris86

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
So I rooted my new Fascinate a couple weeks ago in order to remove alot of the bloatware. I used the FascinateRoot_v2.zip and did so successfully. SuperUser was granted and I downloaded and used Super Manager to remove unwanted apps like NFS, Blockbuster, etc.

I went back yesterday to delete VZ navigator and some other pre-loaded apps I didn't want. I tried to put them in the SuperManager recycle bin but they would not delete. Even though Super Manager was active in my SuperUser app list, I thought there were some problems with it so I uninstalled and re-installed. However, when I reinstalled and tried to 'Enable Root Function' it would not allow, saying 'the Root function in not supported on your device.' Also, it did not ask me for SU permission.

I thought that was strange, so I downloaded Titanium Backup to see if that worked. Nope, again it would not work saying the phone was not rooted. I even downloaded the busy box to no avail.

I tried one more thing, which was to go to terminal emulator and type in 'su' to see if I had root access, but got a 'permission denied' response.

Finally, I tried to re-root using the same method as above and that also did not work.

So I've come to the conclusion that I've somehow "lost" my root, even though the SuperUser ninja icon still resides on my screen. I don't know how and I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really a technical guy so keep it remedial if possible! :)

Thanks in advance...

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that EA28 was pushed to your phone and you lost root. What build/baseband were you on before this happened? What are you on now? Menu>Settings> About phone

MParris86

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the insight guys...I must have gotten the Verizon update because it says my baseband version is S:i500.04 V.EA28.

However, I don't know if this update was done before or after I rooted my phone (probably 15-20 days ago). That is, Im not sure what the baseband version was when I first rooted it.

If the update unrooted it, any way to get it back?

MParris86

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
That's the problem...I'm attempting to re-root using the one-click root (FascinateRoot_v2.zip) but it will not let me as it keeps saying "ADB is not recognized as an internal or external command.'

USB debugging is enabled, I'm using the Samsung USB cable...all the little things that I've read can effect the rooting process.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
That's the problem...I'm attempting to re-root using the one-click root (FascinateRoot_v2.zip) but it will not let me as it keeps saying "ADB is not recognized as an internal or external command.'

USB debugging is enabled, I'm using the Samsung USB cable...all the little things that I've read can effect the rooting process.

If you use the EB01 packages i provided they are already rooted

but if you want to use adb method,,,

in the command prompt are you entering the following

cd c:\FascinateRoot_v2
after this the directory will change to

c:\FascinateRoot_v2>
then put in your adb command , such as

c:\FascinateRoot_v2>adb devices

Reactions: geosnipe

MParris86

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If you use the EB01 packages i provided they are already rooted

but if you want to use adb method,,,

in the command prompt are you entering the following

cd c:\FascinateRoot_v2
after this the directory will change to

c:\FascinateRoot_v2>
then put in your adb command , such as

c:\FascinateRoot_v2>adb devices

Yes, with the phone connected to my computer with debugging enabled, I can go to the command prompt but when I put in the adb command, I again get the 'adb is not recognized..." response. :(

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
sounds like a driver issue.

I just ran through using adb and it appears you are not in the correct directory on the C:\> drive.

If you type "adb" in the correct directory you should get a list of commands that are available. If you are not in the correct directory you will get the response, "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command."

You need to get to the directory where the adb command is located.
Type:
cd..
C:\>
cd FascinateRoot_v2
and you should end up here:
C:\FascinateRoot_v2>

Edit: After teasing apart this zip file. We need to figure where you extracted adb to...

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Redownload the folder, its possible that the files inside the folder that help accomplish the bridge were removed somehow... and after you download it make sure you place is directly on the "c:\" drive

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae