unplug when fully charged? important?

kelton

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Why is there a warning about the battery being fully charged?

I just went through that phone dialer script to turn off the warning, but is there anything wrong with just leaving the phone plugged in?

Kelton

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Why is there a warning about the battery being fully charged?

I just went through that phone dialer script to turn off the warning, but is there anything wrong with just leaving the phone plugged in?

Kelton

From what I have read, no. Nothing real wrong with leaving it plugged in. Apparently the battery will keep bouncing between 95% charge and 100% charge to prevent from overcharging.

kelton

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
thanks!

I won't know if the "fully charged" pop up has been fixed for a bit, but glad that it is probably ok to just keep it plugged in.

Surely it is ok. I mean, that would be HORRIBLE to learn that you've got to leap out of bed and unplug a phone every night!

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
thanks!

I won't know if the "fully charged" pop up has been fixed for a bit, but glad that it is probably ok to just keep it plugged in.

Surely it is ok. I mean, that would be HORRIBLE to learn that you've got to leap out of bed and unplug a phone every night!

the battery pack is actually a little computer. if you overcharge or completely deplete a lithium battery it will die, like tu, croked, an ex-battery, with lovely plumeage, but dead. the battery will stop the charge at 100%.

Reactions: Proletariat

kelton

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I understand, but surely there is a mechanism (the computer/software) that manages the situation such that the battery does not get overcharged when plugged in.

tw105188

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I believe what gunner is saying is that there is actually a small microchip in li ion batteries. That is my understanding anyway. Never researched it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I believe what gunner is saying is that there is actually a small microchip in li ion batteries. That is my understanding anyway. Never researched it.

That was my understanding. I read somewhere in these forums that the batteries have their own internal computer that regulates that. That is why if you leave the phone on the charger the battery will charge to 100%, then drain to 95%, charge to 100%, drain to 95% and continue that loop until you pull it off the charger.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
That was my understanding. I read somewhere in these forums that the batteries have their own internal computer that regulates that. That is why if you leave the phone on the charger the battery will charge to 100%, then drain to 95%, charge to 100%, drain to 95% and continue that loop until you pull it off the charger.

lol. you read that in my thread! yeah the battery pack is a little computer. the phone actually doesnt monitor the battery, it recieves info from the batteries computer.

Heath276

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I think my batterys little computer isn't working right I had my phone plugged in last night woke up today and it was stilled plugged in but was down to 89% so think something is wrong

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
The phone limits the upper charge and prevents overcharge. Plus it shuts off on too low a charge.

The battery pack itself has protective components to keep it from overcharging AND being run too far down.

LiIon batteries are a serious fire hazard if over or under charged, so they use very good limiting cicuits to protect the battery.

The charge message, that must be manually dismissed, is a failure of the Samsung software people, IMHO.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think my batterys little computer isn't working right I had my phone plugged in last night woke up today and it was stilled plugged in but was down to 89% so think something is wrong

try the how to battery thing and see what happens.

Proletariat

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

Try switching to a different charger, or if you're plugging it in to your computer, a different usb cable. I'm on my second Fascinate thanks to a USB cable that went bad. I verified it was the USB when some of the same issues started happening on my warranty replacement. Thank goodness I really tested it before it did any permanent damage. After a while my phone would go into mass storage state when it was on a wall charger, or even not on anything at all. The battery indicator would state that it was full, when it was probably less than half full. When it was off, if I tried to turn it back on without it being connected to a power source (while it had a charge, mind you) it would display the charging screen for a few seconds when I had the power key pressed instead of actually turning on. So yeah... if you start to have charging issues, I would experiment with different chargers/USB cables.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463