To Froyo or not?

toddw

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I've rooted my fascinate, tried several different ROMs and kernels. I've got it setup using Super Dark DJ05 with a voodoo kernel. I've done enough backups and restores from different ROMs I feel pretty comfortable with the phone, voodoo, themes, CWM, etc. It's running very fast, 12-16 hr battery, great looking theme. I'm happy with the phone like it is. But, just because it's not EB01, should I risk messing up the setup I've got just to get Froyo or just be happy with being outdated and keeping what I've got? What's the safest way to get from voodoo kernel to EB01, voodoo or not?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Here's what I tell everyone: if you're 100% satisfied with what you have, don't screw around with it. With that being said, if you're still itching for Froyo bad enough, perform a full Nandroid backup beforehand and then go crazy. Worse case scenerio, you can always restore your current set-up.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Battery life isn't good on EB01 in my option. The voodoo kernel will give you better quadrant scores but really I don't feel like the phone is much faster.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
My advice, back up current rom, practice restoring it to make sure everything works (my last backup wouldn't restore). Then Froyo the heck out of your phone! Test everything you use regularly. If you notice a difference/like the new features, keep it, if not go back. Just know the one bug I've noticed in EB01 is the GPS, its very inaccurate.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I think you should flash to froyo. There are plenty of things that I thought I was happy with that it turns out I wasnt. The big thing with froyo is flash. No more do you have to not have flash scripts in web pages not loading. No more will you have to worry about the youtube videos that say not for mobile. (at least with dolphin) Also, now there is a hacked flash version that is floating around this forum that allows you to play hulu. You also get install to sd card on some apps. The only negative that I am seeing is a slightly reduced battery life. But I bought a backup kit and have a spate battery and charger. With pretty heavy use I have used slightly over 1 battery. Never have I gone through a full 2 batteries in 1 day.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I need to put a disclaimer in my signature:

"WARNING: The advice I give you is in no way a direct reflection of Android Central or it's members. Listen at your own risk." :p

And then "PS: Mike is crazy."

toddw

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Battery life isn't good on EB01 in my option. The voodoo kernel will give you better quadrant scores but really I don't feel like the phone is much faster.

I wound up trying it last night. I finally did get EB01 running after having to totally wipe my phone, re-rooting and all. It was running well but it seems slower than what I was running, DL05 Super Dark with JT's voodoo kernel. The real downfall was that at 8:00 am I took it off charge and at 11:00 I had to put it back on charge because it was down to 20%. I was going to be away from a charger so I restored to my previous DL05 and I'm going to try it again tonight. Did I do something wrong? I loaded Super Clean 4.2 and the voodoo kernel, EB01_voodoo.zip. Should I undo voodoo and try the non-voodoo kernel? Which ROM should I try? I never could get BlackHole to work.

toddw

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Also, since I've already flashed the EB01 modem can I just download and flash a different ROM, I'm still back on DJ05, or do I need to wipe and start over fresh?

toddw

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I wound up loading EB01 again and finally got Blackhole to work. It's working great pretty much. My battery life is much better than my first try. It's been on all day with alot of theme switching and some facebook pic uploads. It's gone 12 hours with 24% remaining now. The only glitch is about 4 times today when I wake it up and unlock the screen it has frozen up requiring a battery pull to fix. Any idea what might be causing this? It's only on the lock screen. I am running voodoo and setcpu.