GPS ONLY thing stopping me from getting Fascinate

ruger141

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
The Fascinate is looking to be my backup plan phone if the Thunderbolt isn't gonna work out for me. My Main concern though is that GPS is one of my Most used and important features of my phone. I have seen mixed results searching around about whether or not the GPS has been fixed yet(or if that's even possible). Is it a software issue or a hardware issue or does anybody even know?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The Fascinate is looking to be my backup plan phone if the Thunderbolt isn't gonna work out for me. My Main concern though is that GPS is one of my Most used and important features of my phone. I have seen mixed results searching around about whether or not the GPS has been fixed yet(or if that's even possible). Is it a software issue or a hardware issue or does anybody even know?

it sucks on 2.1. if you root and flash 2.2 its all good. this is an awsome phone. if you are willing to do some work and make your phone better than when you bought it then you can go wrong.

JJRocker

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The GPS is working fine for the vast majority of people that are rooted using the EB01/EB16 Froyo rom. EB01 is possibly the build that will become the official OTA update or at least will be close. At any rate, the Froyo update along with the updated radio seems to fix the GPS for all but a very small number of people, so it seems that the GPS problem is likely software/firmware related and not hardware. For what it's worth, I bought my Fascinate in December and never had any problems with the GPS to begin with. The only thing I've noticed is that now the GPS locks almost instantly rather than 5 to 10 seconds.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
On 2.1, mine worked, but was very slow to get a lock. With 2.2 (EB01) it locks quickly and gets a good number of satellites as expected.
I believe some people also had some hardware issues and it just never worked for them.

piersol

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I got my Fascinate in Jan 2011, and I have never had a problem with GPS. No matter what build I have used, including the original D101 that it shipped with, I have never had any issue with my GPS.

Does it lock instantly as soon as I enable it while sitting at my computer desk in the house? Hell no, not even my Garmin will do that. But if I'm using it as intended, it works perfectly fine.

Heath276

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I used mine to go to myrtle beach last week worked great im rooted with eb01/eb16 sc2.6 and it worked like at dream. Took around 5 to 10 sec to lock. I even took my tomtom but wanted to see how well my phone worked now thinking i can sell my tomtom dont need it anymore.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I use mine almost every day now without problems. Locks almost instantly, and I think the longest I've waited for a lock recently was 10 seconds tops. Rooted, running Super Clean 2.6.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I got my Fascinate in Jan 2011, and I have never had a problem with GPS. No matter what build I have used, including the original D101 that it shipped with, I have never had any issue with my GPS.

Does it lock instantly as soon as I enable it while sitting at my computer desk in the house? Hell no, not even my Garmin will do that. But if I'm using it as intended, it works perfectly fine.

Yeah - to be clear - the vast majority of complaints were directed at the aGPS performance, not the actual GPS. That is to say it didn't use network resources properly to help it lock so it took several minutes for a cold lock, not unlike a real standalone GPS you would buy. But once locked it was fine. A few people here and there have complained about the actual GPS accuracy but that's rare.

Anyway, the aGPS was fixed for 99% with the DL09 OTA more than a month ago, stock phone should be good to go.

krunkan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't the Froyo/2.2 solution to improving GPS have the caveat that leaving it on will run down battery charge very quickly? (e.g., as mentioned in this post or this one) Or is that an issue that only some people are having, or that is expected to get fixed? If not, the OP might want to take this into consideration if they'll have GPS running all the time.

[Disclaimer: I'm rooted but have not yet flashed any version of 2.2]

Last edited:

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't the Froyo/2.2 solution to improving GPS have the caveat that leaving it on will run down battery charge very quickly? (e.g., as mentioned in this post or this one) Or is that an issue that only some people are having, or that is expected to get fixed? If not, the OP might want to take this into consideration if they'll have GPS running all the time.

[Disclaimer: I'm rooted but have not yet flashed any version of 2.2]

I think you will find people that claim the battery goes dead quicker in the right hand then in the left hand.

I leave mine on. google Latitude constantly updating my loaction. Any time my battery drains quickly I can trace it directly to an app that is causing it.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think you will find people that claim the battery goes dead quicker in the right hand then in the left hand.

I leave mine on. google Latitude constantly updating my loaction. Any time my battery drains quickly I can trace it directly to an app that is causing it.

for the most part i would say you are correct. however in this case you are not. the battery DOES drain faster with leaveing gps on. not everyone will experiance the same problem, thats just the nature of the beast. ie the sleep of death problem. the current build of 2.2 has a sleep issue. thats cool that you dont have it, i dont have the sleep of death problem, but it does exist.

ruger141

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Cool thanks for all the great replys. My heart is set on the Thunderbolt but it may end up being too expensive for my tastes. I just got a freakin $300 dentist bill that I wasnt expecting :( So I possibly may be joining you guys in a bit :cool:

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Cool thanks for all the great replys. My heart is set on the Thunderbolt but it may end up being too expensive for my tastes. I just got a freakin $300 dentist bill that I wasnt expecting :( So I possibly may be joining you guys in a bit :cool:

im sure the thunderbolt is a great phone. but so is the fascinate. i mean sure, im a nerd and i want the newest awsomest thig like every other nerd, but im a lowly cable guy and cant afford to buy all the newest awsomest stuff. the fascinate is a great phone, and im not even a little bit disapointed with it.

Reactions: ruger141

JJRocker

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Once or twice, my GPS wouldn't lock and I exited Google Navigation and went to Google maps, where it locked instantly...then had no problems after that.

As for the Sleep of Death, I solved it by uninstalling Beautiful Widgets. For some reason, BW introduces SOD every time. Since I stopped using it, haven't had any problems with it (almost a week).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital