New to the Fascinate Forum? Say Hello!

cdposey26

Apr 30, 2011
www.sentinelcleaninginc.com
Hello everyone, I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. My names Trey and I live in the Birmingham, AL area, fortunately was sparred from the devastating storms last week. Look forward to learning how to optimize my fascinate with your help. I am brand new to the world of Android, if fact my Fascinate will be delivered on Monday. Leaving the word of Blackberry, never was a big fan of BB so looking forward to the change.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone, I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. My names Trey and I live in the Birmingham, AL area, fortunately was sparred from the devastating storms last week. Look forward to learning how to optimize my fascinate with your help. I am brand new to the world of Android, if fact my Fascinate will be delivered on Monday. Leaving the word of Blackberry, never was a big fan of BB so looking forward to the change.

Welcome friend! Glad to hear you're alright after the tragic events that happened down south! Remember what I mentioned in your earlier post, we're all here to help the best we can and there's a whole new world of knowledge to be had here! You won't regret Android, it's a great system and the phone is fantastic!

jampot

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Welcome Trey... I grew up in B'ham! I don't live there anymore, but I was born and raised there :) Welcome to the forums. This place is AWESOME!

EDGeFastTrack

May 1, 2011
Visit site
New here

Happy Sunday!
I am checking out the forum for the first time on a friend's advice (he has already rooted with your help). I've had my Fascinate for about 6 months and basically just looking to see what else it can do. For the average consumer, I have a pretty good handle on using my smart phone, but don't have any serious background on using it outside of the realm of Verizon's user manual. An Android rookie, if you will. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here. Thanks!

Kyle
Arizona

adjangs

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm new to android but a long-time blackberry user.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to these forums; I haven't rooted but I have rooted and have installed ADW and am loving my Fascinate much more thanks to you all.

Last edited:

nseg

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi all. While I generally consider myself a techie, I've been slow to update to a smart phone (mainly cause I'm cheap and didn't want the extra $29.99 a month expense), but I finally decided to update and bought myself a Fascinate (used off eBay cause I didn't want to lock my account until the S2 comes out). If all goes well I should have it Saturday. What do you think the first thing I should do with it? Here is my plan:

1. Do a factory reset
2. Check to see if it's running 2.2 (if not run the OTA update).
3. Run some tests.
4. Root (seems simple enough from the excellent guilds on these forums)
5. De-Bing
6. Enjoy my own Android phone so I can finally stop being envious of other :)

Now I've read that 2.1 required a lag fix (changing the file system) to get real speed out of this phone. Is that still required with the OTA 2.2? If so can I use OCLF?

Thanks

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi all. While I generally consider myself a techie, I've been slow to update to a smart phone (mainly cause I'm cheap and didn't want the extra $29.99 a month expense), but I finally decided to update and bought myself a Fascinate (used off eBay cause I didn't want to lock my account until the S2 comes out). If all goes well I should have it Saturday. What do you think the first thing I should do with it? Here is my plan:

1. Do a factory reset
2. Check to see if it's running 2.2 (if not run the OTA update).
3. Run some tests.
4. Root (seems simple enough from the excellent guilds on these forums)
5. De-Bing
6. Enjoy my own Android phone so I can finally stop being envious of other :)

Now I've read that 2.1 required a lag fix (changing the file system) to get real speed out of this phone. Is that still required with the OTA 2.2? If so can I use OCLF?

Thanks

Welcome to Android Central. OCLF does not work on the Fascinate. Best course of action is to get used to the operation of the phone & learn how to customize it by flashing different ROMs, themes, patches, mods, kernels, modems etc. Then once you are comfortable with that, you can take the plunge into the world of voodoo. You will only notice a very minimal difference in speed. Your real changes will be in sound and color. You will get your most noticeable difference in speed when you switch to a custom ROM that has been debinged and debloated, even a nonvoodoo one.

Reactions: nseg

FoxDie#AC

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone, i'm new here hence why i'm posting in this section:p. I have been browsing around the rooting sections over the past few days and i think i'm ready to attempt it. i have had my fascinate for 7 or 8 months now and i think it is finally time to allow my fassie to break free and spread its wings. i am currently downloding the FascinateRoot_v02 rooting program so, we will see how it goes. (hopefully all goes well:D)

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey, welcome to the family! I hope you have a great experience here as I know I sure have... If you ever have questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask!

jpx213

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone. Got my Fascinate last week, spent all day and night reading and researching and rooting as soon as I got it. Then spent the following week researching customization, trying to get some ideas. Browsed through here and xda mostly. But after about 48 hours total, I finally set it up the way I like and I've posted my screens in the stickied thread.

jobzombi

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Jonathan here for the first time. I already made a thread. Got the Fascinate handed down to me used so I am trying to work with it to see if I can activate it sans data plan. :

http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate/82870-verizon-data-plan-if-rooted.html

If you can help above feel free to comment, im sure the whole verizon/android community would love to get around the data plan kick in the groin that verizon gives them. If not I'll still enjoy it as an android touch. New product name perhaps? My girl has the fascinate too so I fell in love with the droid OS instantly and don't care much for apples' OS.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but I can do that... ;)

Has anyone seen Thor yet? I giggled to myself every time I heard Odin and Heimdall mentioned, even though I knew they have been part of the comic for a very long time

derekdzw

May 11, 2011
Visit site
A new member from China

I love Android! I'm currently using Samsung Fascinate I500. It provides a gorgeous UI but does not provide fluent running because of its Samsung official TW-UI based ROM. Therefore, I prefer CM ASOP-based ROM. CM ROMs speed up I500 but bring several bugs such as several unvailable functions and in perticular a low-call-volume problem. I hope things with I500 will get better and better.

Thanks for all ROM developers and optimizers of I500!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Let me be one of the first to welcome you to AC. You will find tons of help around here with whatever youare looking for. The advisers, gurus and dev here are great. You came at a good time to if you CM ROMs. Just tonight we got a good stable build off of CM 7.0.3 from one of the devs. I think it is nice and all, but also give the Community Rom a try and also Evil Fascination a try. I still think that the Community ROM is the best for speed and stability, but that is preference more than anything else I suppose. Check out the stickies at the beginning of this sub-forum for all the links.

Again, welcome!

derekdzw

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Tks for yr greetings!

I downloaded ROM 2.3.4_CM7.0.3_kaoscinate-v7 just now and is flashing it into my I500 now though several bugs (such as SU FC and touchscreen sense spot wandering) of the ROM have been reported on this forum and the XDA forum.

I'm a Chinese guy of 30 years old. I'm working as an English translator so English UI is OK for me but of course Chinese is better. However, most Chinese guys need Chinese UI. This is another major reason why CM ROMs are more popular than other ROMs among Chinese users of I500.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
not sure what to say about the FC's. I have had it loaded for a few hours and havent had any yet, but I saw the reports. is there a language pack to convert the CMs to Chinese?

nseg

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for welcoming me to the boards. I've been playing around with my Fascinate (which I just upgraded to 2.2 OTA) and have been loving it but would like to try out community rom 1.3. Now I keep reading about how it requires voodoo, but doesn't it include it? So if I were to download: "community_rom_1.3_test2.zip" and use ClockWorkMod to flash this to my phone would that really be the only thing I needed or would I need to install voodoo sperately? Thanks

r2die

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
2nd time around!!

Hello peeps!! This is my second fascinate... love'em to death. Awesome forums btw!!

Thanks for all the help in advance!!

r2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for welcoming me to the boards. I've been playing around with my Fascinate (which I just upgraded to 2.2 OTA) and have been loving it but would like to try out community rom 1.3. Now I keep reading about how it requires voodoo, but doesn't it include it? So if I were to download: "community_rom_1.3_test2.zip" and use ClockWorkMod to flash this to my phone would that really be the only thing I needed or would I need to install voodoo sperately? Thanks

no a voodoo kernel is included with the rom. just remember this, once you go voodoo, you cannot flash something non-voodoo over it or you will have issues.

as DX stated non-voodoo over voodoo = doodoo

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar