Since Samsung WON'T fix the Mac sync problem

Townie33

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I was tired of talking with Verizon's "tier two" tech support on the phone. I was tired of hearing there is "nothing we can do from our end" from Samsung. I GREATLY APPRECIATE the workaround I found in these forums. BUT, it is still a major pain in my technical backside. And of course I had to reset my phone!

Anyway, I fianlly go into my local Verizon store and explain my dilema. I get the "you need to install the Samsung drivers to your Mac" story. After a brief exchange Mr. Verizon checks out a couple of things on his Verizon-type computer and realizes there is nothing he/Verizon/Samsung can do for me or my phone. I was PROMISED that this phone would work with my MAC. But it won't.

He puts me on the phone in the store with a "higher up" who offers me an iPhone since it is comparable and his sincerest apologies. This tech is a MAC user and understands my frustrations. He, of course, must clear this with his supervisor.

I have had my phone since the first of the year. I have enjoyed it. I am not that tech savvy. The most exciting thing I have done with it is used Launcher Pro to change it just a touch. I think I have one game app, twitter, one IM app. I like the Dolphin browser app. I really like MixZing for music, but then again downloading music is such a pain.

I have been so frustrated by the inability to not easilty access photos, music, videos, etc.

Thoughts.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Weird that they offered the iPhone. Why not the Droid X, or the Continuum? Maybe because you are a Mac user they figure you would want the iPhone.

You could always take the iPhone, sell it on eBay (still going for 400 - 500 bucks, more if brand new) and purchase a slightly used Droid X.

Or keep complaining and see if you can get a Thunderbolt out of it.

Either way, I think it's good that they are at least willing to offer you something.

Reactions: Townie33

Townie33

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't know anything about those phones. I do know how easy it would be to sync the iPhone with my computer. I don't know how good a phone it is.

Droid users love their droids and most dislike the iPhone for varying reasons. I personally just want to be able to go back and forth from my phone with my computer without complication. As is I am unable to do that.

For simplicity sake I am sure I would enjoy having the iPhone. Llike I said before, I enjoy my Fascinate. But not being able to SYNC is a huge drawback.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Syncing an iPhone with a Mac or a PC is easy with iTunes. It not only syncs app, music, video, etc., it also backs up your phone. So in the event something happens, it's really easy to restore your phone and it's like nothing ever happened.

As far as the phone quality? The OS is stable and just works. I've never had issues hardware related with mine. But it's not my everyday phone like the Fascinate is; I only use it for development.

I think if the iPhone meets all your needs, then I say go for it. Especially if you don't like to "play" with the phone as far as customizations, rooting, ROM's and stuff like that.

In the end, iPhone, Android or even Windows Phone 7, it all comes down to what features work best for you.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
By "sync" do you mean connect your phone via USB to your Mac in Mass Storage Mode? If so you can use the micro-SD card adapter that came with your phone to directly connect it.

Townie33

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried any of the fixes offered in this thread?

Definitely! These forums are great. With that being said, that "fix" is rather time consuming and doesn't always work.

By "sync" do you mean connect your phone via USB to your Mac in Mass Storage Mode? If so you can use the micro-SD card adapter that came with your phone to directly connect it.

I did purchase the adapter. After a while it was getting rather tedius to constantly take my phone apart, take out the card, insert the card into the adapter, insert the adapter, etc. I missed the days when I could just plug in my phone.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick question and thought here. I am not as tech savvy as a lot of the other members here, so I'm looking at this from that perspective and trying to search for a solution from a different view point. If the Samsung Fascinate will sync with any other kind of computer, could it be more of an issue of the mac not syncing or not allowing the SF to sync? Do your friends have other kinds of phones besides the Fascinate you can try syncing with your mac? If those phones won't sync either that would kind of indicate to me it is actually the mac that has the problem, and perhaps you can address your concerns with Apple to find a solution. Just seems syncing a phone and a computer is a two way street and both the computer and phone would have to recognize each other and accept the sync. Why limit your options to being locked into one thing or one side of it to find a solution? I think it's always better to have options and not be locked into one thing.

Townie33

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick question and thought here. I am not as tech savvy as a lot of the other members here, so I'm looking at this from that perspective and trying to search for a solution from a different view point. If the Samsung Fascinate will sync with any other kind of computer, could it be more of an issue of the mac not syncing or not allowing the SF to sync? Do your friends have other kinds of phones besides the Fascinate you can try syncing with your mac? If those phones won't sync either that would kind of indicate to me it is actually the mac that has the problem, and perhaps you can address your concerns with Apple to find a solution. Just seems syncing a phone and a computer is a two way street and both the computer and phone would have to recognize each other and accept the sync. Why limit your options to being locked into one thing or one side of it to find a solution? I think it's always better to have options and not be locked into one thing.

Great points!

BUT, I won't give up the MAC. ;) And at this stage the only option they have offered is the iPhone.

The extremely frustrating part is that when I purchased the phone it would actually sync with the Mac without a glitch. It was a simple plug and go. But after a couple of software updates in Jan/Feb Samsung has admitted their error and say they have no solution in the near future.

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I recently sold my Fascinate and purchased a used Incredible. I loved the Fascinate hardware but got tired of the lack of support. I don't want to root my phones so for me that's not an option.

The iPhone 4 is a great phone and very simple to use. I think you'll be happy with it.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
What confuses me is there is no rhyme or reason to it. I have a Mac and my Fascinate as well as my wife's have no issues connecting. Even the DL09/EA28 updates didn't affect my ability to sync.

Are you using the stock cable that came with the phone? And are you using a USB port directly on the computer or are you using a hub?

Townie33

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
What confuses me is there is no rhyme or reason to it. I have a Mac and my Fascinate as well as my wife's have no issues connecting. Even the DL09/EA28 updates didn't affect my ability to sync.

Are you using the stock cable that came with the phone? And are you using a USB port directly on the computer or are you using a hub?

That is incredible! Yes, I am using the cable which came with the phone. Sir, are you a magician? :)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I readily admit I am NOT tech savvy, but HOW can a different USB cable make a difference?

i wasnt talking about the cable i was talking about a powered USB hub for example
Gear Head 4-port USB 2.0 Powered Hub - product summary - Bing Shopping

to answer about after market cables, some after market cables are not wired the same internally, they could be missing common or ground points, and although some may work they dont work for some functions such as connecting in download mode because internally a certain load voltage needs to be met to initiate certain fuctions

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Since you say you're not very tech-savvy, I assume you aren't rooted or running a custom ROM (especially since you're on a Mac--exclusively?)

If you're willing to root and whatnot, Adrynalyne put together some kernels for DL09 that fixed this issue for a lot of people. Assuming you are on EA28, you can use the ClockworkMod utility for OS X to flash CWM, then use CWM to flash this kernel.

At this point, might be worth a shot?

Here is the kernel

Townie33

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
i wasnt talking about the cable i was talking about a powered USB hub for example
Gear Head 4-port USB 2.0 Powered Hub - product summary - Bing Shopping

to answer about after market cables, some after market cables are not wired the same internally, they could be missing common or ground points, and although some may work they dont work for some functions such as connecting in download mode because internally a certain load voltage needs to be met to initiate certain fuctions

I have tried every hub (powered or not) available. I have let the tech walk me through many painstaking steps.

I greatly appreciate the efforts.

GobbleXoom

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
If you're willing to root and whatnot, Adrynalyne put together some kernels for DL09 that fixed this issue for a lot of people. Assuming you are on EA28, you can use the ClockworkMod utility for OS X to flash CWM, then use CWM to flash this kernel.
Here is the kernel

I would love to root too, but since the last update I can't get the iMac to recognize my fascinate. When trying to root per this link this is the message I get in the terminal:

christopher-faubels-macbook-2:tools faubelgobble$ ./adb push su /sdcard/su
cannot stat 'su': No such file or directory

I've been searching these forums, but can't find out what to do. Anyone know?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante