Rooted, Got Froyo, But Having Other Issues

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
After being inspired by Jampot's thread I decided to take the plunge and go for Froyo. I had never rooted my phone before. The instructions were great and the rooting, Titanium backup, installation of super clean Froyo, and restore of the apps I wanted went off without a hitch. I did it on Friday afternoon.

Overall I like Froyo and it does seem like it moves faster than before. But I'm noticing some other problems and perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

1. The volume rocker no longer will silence the ringer on my phone..my only option is to reject the call. I like the rocker silencer since I can hit it while the phone is in my pocket.. I can't figure out how to get it back.

2. I would like to be able to change the 3 fixed buttons at the bottom.. I don't like the grey color of the phone, app, and browser buttons.. I preferred the TouchWiz style where there were 4 color buttons that included messaging as well. I'm not saying I want Touchwiz back..maybe I do.. but can someone make a reccomendation? I know there are probably tons of choices out there. I don't want anything wild & crazy..but those grey buttons are kind of lame.

3. My phone is freezing up a lot. I have had to re-boot several times since I installed Froyo.. it was very rare that I would need to re-boot before. On Saturday someone called me and left a voicemail... my phone was with me but it didn't ring or give me any indication I had a message so I was unaware I had a call. Later that person came to my house and asked if I got his message.. so I picked up the phone... no indication. I called *86.. and the dialpad appeared along with the green phone indicator in the upper left corner letting me know a call was in progress, but nothing happened and the dial pad would not let me end the call. Other functions were working..I could use the browser OK. So I had to re-boot, and then I was able to retrieve the message from voice mail. There was still nothing in the call log though. Not a good sign.. I don't like to miss calls.

This morning, after being plugged into the charger all night, the screen was on and it told me it was fully charged. I unplugged the phone and it was completely frozen with the screen on to the pattern lock. I had to remove the battery in order to restart it.

4. Battery life appears to be a bit worse now. My phone actually died on Saturday night for the first time ever. I suppose I did use it a bit more than normal because I was playing with some new features. But it just seems to drain the battery faster than before.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

jampot

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
hey Kevin! :)
I'm so sorry for your issues. I don't really have the experience to answer your questions, but the pros will be here shortly to help you!

As for your dock: I use Launcher Pro, so if the dock is something you want to customize, I HIGHLY recommend it. You can change all those boring grey buttons to be what you like... just my .02. I'm a customizing freak haha. There's a free and paid version.

And for the battery: well, we're using a froyo leak, so it's one reason the battery might be a little worse. The devs are working on a source code right now... should fix the battery life. (If I understand correctly.)

Anyway, someone will be along shortly to help you work out your woes.

best...

Reactions: SEAKevin

triddirt

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
hey Kevin! :)
I'm so sorry for your issues. I don't really have the experience to answer your questions, but the pros will be here shortly to help you!

As for your dock: I use Launcher Pro, so if the dock is something you want to customize, I HIGHLY recommend it. You can change all those boring grey buttons to be what you like... just my .02. I'm a customizing freak haha. There's a free and paid version.

And for the battery: well, we're using a froyo leak, so it's one reason the battery might be a little worse. The devs are working on a source code right now... should fix the battery life. (If I understand correctly.)

Anyway, someone will be along shortly to help you work out your woes.

best...

SeaKevin... The best location for help will be in the ROMS forums rather than out here.. U should post in the Froyo ROM thread that you flashed Specifically if you used Superclean and ODIN then in DroidXCons thread If you used SuperClean and CWM then in Adrynalynes thread.. If you used one of the other Froyo roms then in that thread... Also specifics about your problem, if you've flashed anything else or changed launchers, or if you've added a theme..

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Definitely ask this there and maybe you'll get some better answers.

1. Not sure about this - hadn't noticed this but I suppose I'd want that to work too if it were missing.

2. I like Launcher Pro (and there's ADW too - both free) but if you want your Touchwiz Launcher and the other bits (and you are using SuperClean) there is a patch to get those back in the first post here - http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...perclean-2-9-2-ea15-eb01-eb16-ec10-based.html

Touchwiz Launcher and widgets (eb01)
eb01_touchwiz.zip

3. I know that what Adrynalyne would say (again assuming you are using SuperClean) that he recommends against restoring apps via Titanium and definitely says that you should not restore data to your apps. Pain in the arse, but there you go.

4. Battery ... It was horrible for me when I first went to SC, but then I did this http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...8399-how-discussion-improve-battery-life.html and I use Juice Defender and now it's adequate for my needs.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
After being inspired by Jampot's thread I decided to take the plunge and go for Froyo. I had never rooted my phone before. The instructions were great and the rooting, Titanium backup, installation of super clean Froyo, and restore of the apps I wanted went off without a hitch. I did it on Friday afternoon.

Overall I like Froyo and it does seem like it moves faster than before. But I'm noticing some other problems and perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

1. The volume rocker no longer will silence the ringer on my phone..my only option is to reject the call. I like the rocker silencer since I can hit it while the phone is in my pocket.. I can't figure out how to get it back.

2. I would like to be able to change the 3 fixed buttons at the bottom.. I don't like the grey color of the phone, app, and browser buttons.. I preferred the TouchWiz style where there were 4 color buttons that included messaging as well. I'm not saying I want Touchwiz back..maybe I do.. but can someone make a reccomendation? I know there are probably tons of choices out there. I don't want anything wild & crazy..but those grey buttons are kind of lame.

3. My phone is freezing up a lot. I have had to re-boot several times since I installed Froyo.. it was very rare that I would need to re-boot before. On Saturday someone called me and left a voicemail... my phone was with me but it didn't ring or give me any indication I had a message so I was unaware I had a call. Later that person came to my house and asked if I got his message.. so I picked up the phone... no indication. I called *86.. and the dialpad appeared along with the green phone indicator in the upper left corner letting me know a call was in progress, but nothing happened and the dial pad would not let me end the call. Other functions were working..I could use the browser OK. So I had to re-boot, and then I was able to retrieve the message from voice mail. There was still nothing in the call log though. Not a good sign.. I don't like to miss calls.

This morning, after being plugged into the charger all night, the screen was on and it told me it was fully charged. I unplugged the phone and it was completely frozen with the screen on to the pattern lock. I had to remove the battery in order to restart it.

4. Battery life appears to be a bit worse now. My phone actually died on Saturday night for the first time ever. I suppose I did use it a bit more than normal because I was playing with some new features. But it just seems to drain the battery faster than before.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

I was in your exact shoes just two months ago when I got my first Android phone.

* I am using SC2.9.2 with the EC10 ROM. I am able to silence the phone with the rocker switch

* I use Go Launcher and find it to be a VERY powerful and almost fully customizable launcher. Go makes awesome products.

* I don't have any freezing up issues on SC2.9.2 with the EC10 ROM

* Coming from my BB Storm, where I would get over 2 days of battery life, I have come to the conclusion that no matter what battery tricks I have tried from here in the forums, the battery life just plain old sucks. I unplug my phone at about 5:30am and it will be under 15% on my way home from work 12 hours later. I always make sure to have a charger near.

Hope some of this helps. Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I was in your exact shoes just two months ago when I got my first Android phone.

* I am using SC2.9.2 with the EC10 ROM. I am able to silence the phone with the rocker switch

* I use Go Launcher and find it to be a VERY powerful and almost fully customizable launcher. Go makes awesome products.

* I don't have any freezing up issues on SC2.9.2 with the EC10 ROM

* Coming from my BB Storm, where I would get over 2 days of battery life, I have come to the conclusion that no matter what battery tricks I have tried from here in the forums, the battery life just plain old sucks. I unplug my phone at about 5:30am and it will be under 15% on my way home from work 12 hours later. I always make sure to have a charger near.

Hope some of this helps. Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.
DroidXCon told me to flash EC10 as well.. I made the wrong choice in the first place (apparently) by flashing 16. So, I will flash EC10 later when I get home and see if that works better for me.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
DroidXCon told me to flash EC10 as well.. I made the wrong choice in the first place (apparently) by flashing 16. So, I will flash EC10 later when I get home and see if that works better for me.

So..... Did you get the chance to flash EC10? Let us know what you think.

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So..... Did you get the chance to flash EC10? Let us know what you think.
Yes I flashed EC10 last night.. was happy that it didn't wipe the phone so it was an easy install. I installed Launcher Pro too and I'm now happy with my dock. The phone hasn't frozen up at all so that's a definite improvement.

Strangely my volume rocker still will not silence the ringer. The power button silences it and darkens the screen, but before I rooted and installed Froyo the volume rocker would silence the ringer and leave the screen on.

Are you sure your volume rocker is working to silence your ringer? Perhaps when you're hitting the rocker you may also be inadvertently pushing the power button?

I would like that functionality back.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes I flashed EC10 last night.. was happy that it didn't wipe the phone so it was an easy install. I installed Launcher Pro too and I'm now happy with my dock. The phone hasn't frozen up at all so that's a definite improvement.

Strangely my volume rocker still will not silence the ringer. The power button silences it and darkens the screen, but before I rooted and installed Froyo the volume rocker would silence the ringer and leave the screen on.

Are you sure your volume rocker is working to silence your ringer? Perhaps when you're hitting the rocker you may also be inadvertently pushing the power button?

Yeah I am sure. But keep in mind that I am using Go Launcher and also WidgetLocker so maybe one of them are controlling the functionality.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I am sure. But keep in mind that I am using Go Launcher and also WidgetLocker so maybe one of them are controlling the functionality.

That's probably the case sushi, because the change of not being able to silence the phone from the volume rocker was a change made in the Froyo build. Now you have to use the long press power menu to silence the phone. Cool feature also is, if you have sbrissen's 5 lock screens and are using either the AOSP or rotary lock, if you want to put the phone on vibrate while the phone is locked, you don't have to unlock the screen then hold down the volume button. Just sweep from right to left from the lock screen and it puts the phone right to vibrate only. Then to put it back to your preset volume, just sweep from right to left again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma