[ED01 FroYo][SCH-i500] 2.2 Officially Announced by Verizon!

galapagosriot

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Google Voice Search

I've lost the ability to use the Google voice search shortcut from holding the soft search key. It still routes to Google search when tapped. I had to remove the Enhanced Google Search apk because it was causing recurring FC's. I am de-Binged, anyone else having this problem?

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Try out Vlingo. It's a free voice to action app that is alot more functional than the standard google search. You can do full text messages just by saying the persons name and saying the message. (And in car mode you can send by voice as well.)

Yea, thanks my friend, I have actually Vlingo'd back and forth a few times but inevitably un-installed. It needs the bt voice dialer/stock voice commands built into 2.2 to work to its full potential. The EB01 leak did not have the bt voice dialer included, and thusly Vlingo's functions for me (Handsfree dialing using a Blueant S4 speakerphone in the car) was marginal. I felt Nuance actually did a better job of calling people.

I also felt that Vlingo sucked too much resource, as it would always leave itself running in the background.. I was always Force Stopping it while I wasn't using it....

Thusly, I was inquiring about the Voice Commands for ED01

However, this is just my set up and Vlingo may very well work for others..thanks for the input!

Last edited:

BrokenLinux

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
So if the phone is rooted, and only used titanium backup to freeze a few verizon apps can i simply unfreeze those and apply froyo? Or do i need to unroot first?

sup3rchi3f

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm kinda curious on what the official VZ froyo is like, considering going back to stock just to test it out ..can always root and flash sc or the new community rom when it drops

bojack72

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Still no luck for me. Everytime i check for updates it tells me server is unavailable. I called Verizon to tell them i never received the EA28 update, and the women stated that if i didn't receive that one i probably wont receive this one. If i don't receive the update by next Friday, i need to call them and they will send me a certified phone. Great...more waiting and then a used phone!

cp33

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
about server not available

That happened to me quite a bit in DL09 after I had tried running the update through WIFI. Hard reset after turning off WIFI seemed to do it.

skimore2020

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else getting the message that the phone memory is too full? I just re-flashed DL09 (coming from EB01). So basically, there is nothing on the phone...

Any ideas?

xavier61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Phone will not update

I have build EA-28. Phone was rooted but I took it back to stock for the update. Have re-set twice and I get the yellow triangle and the message that the update did not succeed.

Any ideas or tips are appreciated!!

Thanks

PromoTheRobot

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
So if the phone is rooted, and only used titanium backup to freeze a few verizon apps can i simply unfreeze those and apply froyo? Or do i need to unroot first?

Me three. Rooted phone. EA28 build. Still running 2.1 update-1. All I did was run titanium backup and froze a few VZ apps. Start with yes or no. Please understand that most of the lingo on this board goes over my head. So telling me about flashing and odin is pointless.

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
In ED01 can you change the default search option to Google as promised by Verizon months ago? They said when 2.2 came out you'd be able to choose and not be handcuffed to Bing.

xavier61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
On the phone with VZ right now. They quickly offered to replace my phone or upgrade. On the line with Samsung tech support. They said there must be a problem because the phone is not accepting the upgrade. I may just say to heck and go to Iphone.

xavier61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Spoke with Samsung and after "hold-time" the best they could do was issue a support ticket and have me send the phone into Samsung so they could do the upgrade in their shop. Options were to get another Fascinate and see if that would upgrade or do an early upgrade. I opted for the Iphone. I told Samsung that I was surprised that they could not anticipate issues with the Froyo upgrade and have some answers ready before today.

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
It works great but when I hit the search key (magnifying glass on the bottom right) I still get the Bing search. Anyway around this?

More than likely when a new root method comes out for ED01, then we could shut it down (maybe new Superclean would take care of this). Until then, if you hate Bing, don't use the capacitive search button and just install the widget on your home screen or something to that effect. Maybe one of the more experienced peeps could help you out.

Reactions: tjbuss

drewsellner66

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
com.google.process.gapps Force Close

I was rooted and on the EA28 build with frozen bloatware. After unfreezing all of the bloat I downloaded and installed the OTA update. I had to trash and re-add all of my widgets including the google search widget I had on there but there is a pre-loaded google search widget included in the 2.2 build which works awesome. I can confirm that the com.google.process.gapps force close is attributed to the Enhanced Google Search app. I fought my way through the FC's and uninstalled it and everything seems to be right with the world again.

Last edited:

69Eliminator

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It works great but when I hit the search key (magnifying glass on the bottom right) I still get the Bing search. Anyway around this?

Long time listener, first time caller here. :)

Let me first say that I am a newbie with this and I will give credit to others as I got this idea from other posts I have read (can't remember if it was DroidXcon or others but thanks to everyone all the same).

After upgrading to 2.2, I rooted my phone. I've read some posts that the one click method wasn't working correctly so I used the "adb method". I then used a file manager (I used Super Manager since it was free) to rename the bing application. It's located in /system/app and it's called I500_BingSearchAndroid_11122010.apk. I just renamed it to I500_BingSearchAndroid_11122010.apk.old. After doing that, the search softkey started using google instead of bing.

Now like I said, I'm a newbie which makes me dangerous so your mileage my vary but this worked for me.

Reactions: tjbuss

JollyRoger

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Flash and Froyo

Just FYI, you can update your Flash from 10.1 to 10.2, after Froyo DL, from the Android Market. Just putting it out there. May not mean much, but remembered seeing it posted a while back. We only 10.1 with 2.2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781