[ED01 FroYo][SCH-i500] 2.2 Officially Announced by Verizon!

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
What's that? That is the sound of the collective sigh of relief from thousands of VZW Fascinate owners.

Verizon officially announced via Twitter that the ED01 2.2 update will begin rolling out on 4/21/2011! The PDF for the system update can be found here. Be sure to check out the article on the front page of the Android Central blog!

It details the following changes:

Web Browsing and Data Access
+ Device now supports Adobe? Flash? 10.1.
+ Enhanced browser performance for faster loading of webpages
that include JavaScript.
+ Search the web via Bing™ Voice Search without interruption.

Email and Messaging
+ Move messages between folders in the Exchange email client with ease.
+ Easily delete all messages in your sent and trash folders within your Exchange
email account without being prompted to close the application.
+ When using the Swype? feature, sentences are now displayed with the
proper use of upper and lower case letters.

Call Features
+ “Dialed Calls” correctly displays within the dialer application.
+ When connected to a Bluetooth? device, pressing the speaker button will
properly activate the speakerphone.
+ Turning on the backlight when the phone is mounted in the car dock will no longer
automatically activate the speakerphone.
+ Improvements to the Voice Commands application allows you to accurately search
contacts by name and number, even when the Contact List contains duplicates.

Additional Device Features
+ Color and text scheme in the Calendar has been improved for better readability.
+ “Feeds and Updates” widget improvements for auto-refresh feature.
+ V CAST Apps is now preloaded.
+ Samsung Media hub is now preloaded.
+ Ability to allow automatic app updates in Android Market.

Rest easy, Fascinate users... Your day has come!

Last edited:

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Back to Stock instructions

So you just can't wait to try out the latest (official!) 2.2 from Samsung and VZW, but you aren't on a stock build already?

Follow the simple states laid out by DroidXcon in his super-thread here.

Basically what it consists of is flashing a full DI01 package using Odin, which will bring you to a completely stock state, and allow you to update to the latest OTA. If you do this before the ED01 update is available, you will OTA to EA28, which is the latest official 2.1 build available. If you perform this back-to-stock procedure after the ED01 update has begun rolling out, you should jump straight to that build.

Edit: After Odining back to DI01 you will indeed update to EA28 first, and then to ED01.

Last edited:

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Installation instructions

So you're all stock, and ready to (finally!) update to 2.2...

You have two options:

1. Wait for the update to be pushed to your phone automagically
2. Force the update yourself by doing the following:
- Press "Menu" soft key
- Press "Settings" option
- Scroll to bottom of list and select "About phone"
- Select "System updates"
- Check for new updates: once the update is available, it will begin downloading and take you through the update process

You can follow VZW's official support page here.

If you are coming from a stock build (not rooted, ROMed, themed, etc) this update will not wipe any data or force you to set up your phone again once the update is finished.

Enjoy your delicious FroYo goodness!

Last edited:

murdoc

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Bootlock

So, what about bootlock? After I update to Froyo, then decide to Root, will my phone brick due to a bootlock that verizon added?

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Considering the EC01 leak that people have been running for the last couple of weeks is most likely the same as this release, I highly doubt there will be any type of lock on this at all

Reactions: M4tty

LaFinDuMonde

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Sweeeet! Patience has finally paid off. So where's Gingerbread?

Just kidding. I am however - very surprised that the update is presented THAT easy instead of having to download and plug into a computer and do all that crazy jazz.

Thanks!

xlperro

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
SOOOOOO?????? I've got to unroot?

I've got the same question. I have rooted my Fascinate, but I have not migrated to a non-factory build. All I have done is back up my data with Titanium. I am on build EA28.

Do I need to un-root to receive the update from Vz?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've got the same question. I have rooted my Fascinate, but I have not migrated to a non-factory build. All I have done is back up my data with Titanium. I am on build EA28.

Do I need to un-root to receive the update from Vz?

if you are running the latest ec01 rom released by adrynalyne, then you have the ota already, but with less suck. the build name was changed to protect the not inocent. :)

so if you are on ec01 dont bother with ota, its dumb.

Reactions: cordoni

dlcullen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
"So when can we expect Gingerbread? "

I hear we'll never get anything other than Froyo on the Fascinate... I'm thinking Cory said that at some point? I could be wrong...

but by the time they get around to updating beyond Froyo I'll be able to update to the new Samsung!!

dlcullen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
About bloody time but still to late IMO.

Thunderbolt? is that what you have and why you switched?!! sad sad

that's why half of us are now Android instead of Blackberry or iPhones we couldn't get the phones on the only network in our area so we went to Android and will NEVER go back LOL

Tarrant

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
This is excellent news. :D About half a year late, but great nonetheless.

I'll be taking off for good now, which I'm sure will be to the distinct pleasure of many. But before I depart, I figured y'all were owed... not an explanation, necessarily, but certainly a few words, and not the least of whom are the poor moderators.

I figured Froyo would get here eventually, albeit atrociously late, but my [menial] efforts had a singular purpose, and that purpose certainly wasn't about making any friends -- quite the opposite, in fact -- nor was my intent simply to troll the board. It was about stirring the pot as vigorously as possible and thereby turning up the volume until VZW, my true target, took notice. Whether that happened, ultimately, who knows, but as of tomorrow when the OTA release kicks off, we'll have received what we'd wished for. For what it's worth, this forum was simply one of many where this occurred, and while I'd do it all again 1,000 times over, my apologies to Kevin in particular for creating additional work in the process.

Hope everybody enjoys the hell out of Froyo, and here's to looking forward to a de-Bing'd version from the dev community. If Gingerbread is ever announced but fails to actually materialize, I'll see you guys down the road. ;)

Reactions: Jack33

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if improvements to the "Voice Commands Applications" is the stock Android Voice Commands or Nuance? I was hoping to ditch Nuance and just use the stock android Voice Commands with Froyo.. i.e. bluetooth voice dialing..

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually a little bummed. I was certain Punkkaos would have GB out before this release. I rather enjoy flipping off Verizon. Oh well.

STLRampage1

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if improvements to the "Voice Commands Applications" is the stock Android Voice Commands or Nuance? I was hoping to ditch Nuance and just use the stock android Voice Commands with Froyo.. i.e. bluetooth voice dialing..

Try out Vlingo. It's a free voice to action app that is alot more functional than the standard google search. You can do full text messages just by saying the persons name and saying the message. (And in car mode you can send by voice as well.)