[ED01 FroYo][SCH-i500] 2.2 Officially Announced by Verizon!

bslook

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought the Facinate was getting TV out with Froyo. Don't see it unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

Any one know if it's available to us now?

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Installation instructions

So you're all stock, and ready to (finally!) update to 2.2...

You have two options:

1. Wait for the update to be pushed to your phone automagically
2. Force the update yourself by doing the following:
- Press "Menu" soft key
- Press "Settings" option
- Scroll to bottom of list and select "About phone"
- Select "System updates"
- Check for new updates: once the update is available, it will begin downloading and take you through the update process

You can follow VZW's official support page here.

If you are coming from a stock build (not rooted, ROMed, themed, etc) this update will not wipe any data or force you to set up your phone again once the update is finished.

Enjoy your delicious FroYo goodness!

what if i dont want the froyo offered by Verizon/Samsung? will it still be "Pushed" to my phone without my approval? if it gets pushed to my phone i will be in android hell cause of my upgrading here and verizons push.. i would rather make my own choices without any verizon help or pushing.. i waited for them till i was blue in the face and now i figure they can wait on me..

Last edited:

tjbuss

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Long time listener, first time caller here. :)

Let me first say that I am a newbie with this and I will give credit to others as I got this idea from other posts I have read (can't remember if it was DroidXcon or others but thanks to everyone all the same).

After upgrading to 2.2, I rooted my phone. I've read some posts that the one click method wasn't working correctly so I used the "adb method". I then used a file manager (I used Super Manager since it was free) to rename the bing application. It's located in /system/app and it's called I500_BingSearchAndroid_11122010.apk. I just renamed it to I500_BingSearchAndroid_11122010.apk.old. After doing that, the search softkey started using google instead of bing.

Now like I said, I'm a newbie which makes me dangerous so your mileage my vary but this worked for me.

Do you know if this will work on an unrooted phone?

Reactions: papa54

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
what if i dont want the froyo offered by Verizon/Samsung? will it still be "Pushed" to my phone without my approval? if it gets pushed to my phone i will be in android hell cause of my upgrading here and verizons push.. i would rather make my own choices without any verizon help or pushing.. i waited for them till i was blue in the face and now i figure they can wait on me..

Since you are running 2.9.2 I don't think you will get a choice to get the official OTA. Have to be stock Eclair for that.

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Argh!

Totally stock. Getting "the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again".

Can't even think about removing any apps, as I can't even get to the market without this popping up and stopping everything.

zerocool418

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Verizon Fascinate ED01 Froyo

I just updated to firmware 2.2.1 and wanted to know if I can still root my Fascinate? I have never done it before but the update from Verizon preinstalled even more stuff I don't need or even want.

Much thank bytheway this is my first Andriod, I sure I am not going back to using my Blackbery Storm 2.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I just updated to firmware 2.2.1 and wanted to know if I can still root my Fascinate? I have never done it before but the update from Verizon preinstalled even more stuff I don't need or even want.

Much thank bytheway this is my first Andriod, I sure I am not going back to using my Blackbery Storm 2.

Yes you can still root your phone. Check out the sticky section and other threads in the Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks section for guidance.

nufan

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Totally stock. Getting "the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again".

Can't even think about removing any apps, as I can't even get to the market without this popping up and stopping everything.

There's a thread HERE where other people had the same problem. The issue was with the Google Search widget installed.

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
If you are coming from a stock build (not rooted, ROMed, themed, etc) this update will not wipe any data or force you to set up your phone again once the update is finished.

So this didn't mean you don't have to re-setup all of your screens again? Cause I asked yesterday and reread the stickies and was really hoping it wouldn't mess with homescreens. Everything is reset to stock though :| so lame, but guess I'm just glad didn't get any errors or crashing on the update.

bslook

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the audio out cable not the USB. I'm told on non Verizon phones there's a settings option. Was also told that it would be provided in Froyo but don't think they did.

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the audio out cable not the USB. I'm told on non Verizon phones there's a settings option. Was also told that it would be provided in Froyo but don't think they did.

Use this for video out? Nah, not on this phone. If you could, you wouldn't want to watch it.

bslook

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Why is this forumn so hard to use. I love Android Central but I can't click though the to see the messages in threaded display mode 404 and now I can't even swith the display back to linear so I can find the response to my question that way. I'd love to participate more but this is frusatrating.

RyanD8

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
My phone was rooted when I applied the update, but it worked without any major problems. I just had to reload the widgets like most people. Looks like I have to re-root though.

Meltarrus

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I was rooted but flashed my Fascinate back to DI01 to start working my way up to the official Froyo release. I was able to apply the DL09 update I downloaded to my phone with no issue. Hoever I am having a helluva time finding the EA28 update to download. Does anyone have a good link to download it.

BTW, my phone is one of the Fascinates that have an obvious OTA update issue.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I was rooted but flashed my Fascinate back to DI01 to start working my way up to the official Froyo release. I was able to apply the DL09 update I downloaded to my phone with no issue. Hoever I am having a helluva time finding the EA28 update to download. Does anyone have a good link to download it.

BTW, my phone is one of the Fascinates that have an obvious OTA update issue.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

There is no download for the EA28 update. That update was handles strictly OTA. You should receive the ED01 update if you are on either DI01 or DL09. Just have to keep trying.

Reactions: FearTheGhost13

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
There is no download for the EA28 update. That update was handles strictly OTA. You should receive the ED01 update if you are on either DI01 or DL09. Just have to keep trying.

To add to what landshark suggested, be sure to go into settings > about phone > system updates > check now so your phone will actually search for the OTA update if you're not automatically getting it pushed to your phone.

Reactions: Landshark

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000