[ED01 FroYo][SCH-i500] 2.2 Officially Announced by Verizon!

Meltarrus

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you guys for the quick response. I have tried to manually check for the OTA at least a couple dozen times. All I get is "Server Unavailable" message. I have turned off the wifi, reset the phone to factory in the privacy settings. Any ideas?

darcyjr123

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
My Froyo Update

Everything went smoothly for me ! I was so shocked when I got it lol. I was just checking for new updates just to be disappointed again but it came up ! The interface looks brand new !! The only issue it didn't fix for me was my Media Syncing :( Can I get some help on that please ?:) P.S: Sorry to those that are having drama about the froyo update I feel your pain.. !

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you guys for the quick response. I have tried to manually check for the OTA at least a couple dozen times. All I get is "Server Unavailable" message. I have turned off the wifi, reset the phone to factory in the privacy settings. Any ideas?

So you flashed to DI01 or DL09 via odin? If this is the case and you are still not getting the update one suggestion I have is take your phone to a verizon store and have them manually update your phone. Just be sure that you are completely stock before doing so. If that method fails then I'd be led to believe that's a VZW issue.

Meltarrus

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
To add to what landshark suggested, be sure to go into settings > about phone > system updates > check now so your phone will actually search for the OTA update if you're not automatically getting it pushed to your phone.

Thank you guys for the quick replies. I have tried forcing the OTA Update atl east 20 times. All I get is "SERVER UNAVAILABLE". I have cutoff the wifi and factory reset in the privacy settings. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you guys for the quick replies. I have tried forcing the OTA Update atl east 20 times. All I get is "SERVER UNAVAILABLE". I have cutoff the wifi and factory reset in the privacy settings. Any ideas?

Make sure you mobile data is turned on. Pull down the notification bar, it will be the second icon from the right.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I was rooted but flashed my Fascinate back to DI01 to start working my way up to the official Froyo release. I was able to apply the DL09 update I downloaded to my phone with no issue. Hoever I am having a helluva time finding the EA28 update to download. Does anyone have a good link to download it.

BTW, my phone is one of the Fascinates that have an obvious OTA update issue.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Ok, when you say you downloaded DL09 to your phone, what exactly do you mean? Was that done OTA or another method? I'm starting to think you should flash your phone back to DI01 and start from the beginning. Once back to DI01 try to OTA again before doing anything else at all.

Meltarrus

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So you flashed to DI01 or DL09 via odin? If this is the case and you are still not getting the update one suggestion I have is take your phone to a verizon store and have them manually update your phone. Just be sure that you are completely stock before doing so. If that method fails then I'd be led to believe that's a VZW issue.

I flashed DI01 via odin and downloaded the stock DL09 and updated it in the recovery menu. I have been in touch w/VZW and they are leaning towards sending me a refurb. We will see what they come back with

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I flashed DI01 via odin and downloaded the stock DL09 and updated it in the recovery menu. I have been in touch w/VZW and they are leaning towards sending me a refurb. We will see what they come back with

Ok, so you flashed DL09 in recovery because your phone would not OTA to it? I just read a post that someone had mentioned talking to VZW that ~10,000 phones have a bad serial number or something such as MEID number it's not 100% accurate information as of yet, but it also mentioned that the people having the OTA issue may most likely need to be sent a refurbished phone in order to correctly recieve OTA updates.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Wow, can you say vzw has totally screwed the pooch on this OTA? First it takes them forever to even roll it out. Then when they've had plenty of time to prep for and test this, they somehow didn't see any of these problems?

Sometimes you go to the circus, sometimes the circus comes to you.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow, can you say vzw has totally screwed the pooch on this OTA? First it takes them forever to even roll it out. Then when they've had plenty of time to prep for and test this, they somehow didn't see any of these problems?

Sometimes you go to the circus, sometimes the circus comes to you.

Lol, that is indeed true Landshark! This is definitely a massive issue on their part! So bad indeed that it may cause them to have to replace 10,000+ phones! That's obsurd. Once we get a little more information on the matter we can confirm that this may be the method that the users having OTA issues may have to take. Though it is very unfortunate.

I'll keep an eye out to find an official report on the matter and post a link if I find any accurate information.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Lol, that is indeed true Landshark! This is definitely a massive issue on their part! So bad indeed that it may cause them to have to replace 10,000+ phones! That's obsurd. Once we get a little more information on the matter we can confirm that this may be the method that the users having OTA issues may have to take. Though it is very unfortunate.

I'll keep an eye out to find an official report on the matter and post a link if I find any accurate information.

What's really absurd about it is if I have one of the affected phones and I bought it brand new, vzw is telling me they are going to send me a refurbished, USED phone because of their screw up. I know the one I have would also be considered used, but it would have only been used by me. No telling what someone else may have previously done to the refurb phone.

Meltarrus

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What's really absurd about it is if I have one of the affected phones and I bought it brand new, vzw is telling me they are going to send me a refurbished, USED phone because of their screw up. I know the one I have would also be considered used, but it would have only been used by me. No telling what someone else may have previously done to the refurb phone.

VZW is telling me that if the problem is not resolved by Monday the will give me the choice of a refurbished Droid Incredible or another Fascinate. They actually had the stones to include an LG Ally or Blackberry to my choices. LOL

Anyone want to weigh in on the best choice? Fascinate or Incredible?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
VZW is telling me that if the problem is not resolved by Monday the will give me the choice of a refurbished Droid Incredible or another Fascinate. They actually had the stones to include an LG Ally or Blackberry to my choices. LOL

Anyone want to weigh in on the best choice? Fascinate or Incredible?

OG Incredible has already had it's EOL (End of Life) so probably not going to receive much support there. Incredible 2 due out sometime.............wait for it...........SOON :D

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Since you are running 2.9.2 I don't think you will get a choice to get the official OTA. Have to be stock Eclair for that.

oh i know with present setup i can not get official froyo 2.2==
but i alsoknow how to go back to my roots one might say,but so far i have not seen a thing with those whom have the official 2.2 froyo thats any better than what i have,,,

i just want to know if Verizon tries to "Push" the update to my phone without my express permission??

so far i am satisfied as i am...

a question to the person who said they rooted right after getting the official 2.2 froyo.
how ? is there an option in AC to do so yet...

ok everyone keepup the good and bad reports,, some of us are hanging in the side lines..

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the audio out cable not the USB. I'm told on non Verizon phones there's a settings option. Was also told that it would be provided in Froyo but don't think they did.

your home charger is a USB cable,, just remove it from the part that is pluged in,,if you are working with a fascinate..

Last edited:

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
oh i know with present setup i can not get official froyo 2.2==
but i alsoknow how to go back to my roots one might say,but so far i have not seen a thing with those whom have the official 2.2 froyo thats any better than what i have,,,

i just want to know if Verizon tries to "Push" the update to my phone without my express permission??

so far i am satisfied as i am...

a question to the person who said they rooted right after getting the official 2.2 froyo.
how ? is there an option in AC to do so yet...

ok everyone keepup the good and bad reports,, some of us are hanging in the side lines..

Actually, yes you can root after official 2.2 here's the link to help in doing so: http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...-remove-system-apps-other-how.html#post700079

stilltipin87

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
After using SC 2.9.2 for sometime now, I'm really in no rush to upgrade. My phone has been working just fine, except the battery life is pretty iffy here and there. I'm gonna wait it out for the community rom :)

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
After using SC 2.9.2 for sometime now, I'm really in no rush to upgrade. My phone has been working just fine, except the battery life is pretty iffy here and there. I'm gonna wait it out for the community rom :)

Nice. Good thinking. All this flashing of everything that comes out will definitely take a toll on battery life. And it can get confusing with all the options out there trying to remember exactly what is in your current setup. It's frustrating getting your phone set up just the way you like it, only to tear it down when something new comes out or whatever. That is why I am getting a second Fascinate to use strictly for problem solving and testing things out for the members here at the forum. That way I can set my phone up just the way I want it, and not mess with it.

stilltipin87

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Nice. Good thinking. All this flashing of everything that comes out will definitely take a toll on battery life. And it can get confusing with all the options out there trying to remember exactly what is in your current setup. It's frustrating getting your phone set up just the way you like it, only to tear it down when something new comes out or whatever. That is why I am getting a second Fascinate to use strictly for problem solving and testing things out for the members here at the forum. That way I can set my phone up just the way I want it, and not mess with it.

Exactly. It's the main reason why I'm gonna wait for the community rom. My phone is set up just perfectly. I'd really hate to start all over again lol.

keybored#AC

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
VZW pushing to my fascinate

I have been having a problem with VZW pushing an update to my rooted phone. It finally crashed and wouldn't restart. CWrecovery didn't help and hard resets were usless. Android central had been such an awesome place with a wealth of knowledge. I finally broke down and flashed my phone using Odin on my PC and DI01package3.tar.tar. Brought it back to virgin original state. The update VZW was pushing wasn't for 2.2 , it was something else. I allowed VZW push the update to my virgin phone and then went about updating to 2.2 which can only be done to a unrooted phone and I am very happy I did. I am not sure how drastic a change it is but it is refreshing all of the little changes and ease of use. I am happy I upgraded.Then i proceeded to use "SuperOneClickv1.7-ShortFuse" on my PC to root my new 2.2 ,while rooting it installs "superuser" got my "titanium backup" app and installed my "quadrant standard" app to check the new speed of my phone compared to 2.1 ....tiny bit faster. I then installed "One click Lag Fix" app and rechecked my speed with "Quadrant standard" and One Click Lag Fix more than doubled my Fascinates speed. It is Technically faster than any phone on the market. My Fascinate is running nice and smooth now. Check out for yourself what I have done, it is all in Android central and you won't be sorry :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton