2.2 = Horrible battery life

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Will changing this setting affect battery life even if WiFi is kept turned off?

No, if WiFi is off then it has no affect as it's not doing anything on your phone while turned off. It doesn't hurt to go into that setting and switch it tho, so whenever you are using it you won't have that problem :)

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that was what I assumed. The other three SFs in the house don't use WiFi, but I mentioned this to them. My primary phone right now is a DX, but I still use the SF a lot on our household wifi and I can tell you that this setting made a HUGE difference on that phone.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that was what I assumed. The other three SFs in the house don't use WiFi, but I mentioned this to them. My primary phone right now is a DX, but I still use the SF a lot on our household wifi and I can tell you that this setting made a HUGE difference on that phone.

I am not 100% clean on this so please clarify.... Is this supposed to be set to Never or When Screen Turns Off?

Reactions: James Changstein

scampy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Found this on xda. Never had wi fi on while testing/experiencing severe battery drain. This helped tremendously. Now I sync manually, and have emails checked hourly. Loving it!

I've been using EB01 (not EC01) for about a month, and having horrible battery life.

Using the battery monitor (Settings->About phone->Battery use), I traced it to an internal process, sometimes called "Android Core Apps", also known as android.process.acore. I also used an app called "System", which showed that android.process.acrore was regularly pegging the CPU at 100%.

A little reading on the web suggested that it might be related to syncing of contacts. So I did a little experimentation and here's what I discovered:

- If I sync to ONE gmail account, it consumes battery pretty fast (about 5% an hour). If I turn off sync (but leave the contacts on the phone), it gets better, but not perfect.

- If I sync to TWO gmail accounts (for example, home and work), it consumes battery at a tremendous rate (about 10% an hour). If i turn off sync for both accounts, it DOESN'T GET BETTER. The CPU continues to spike and the battery life is miserable.

- To stop the drain, I had to BOTH turn off all contact sync AND erase the contact book. (Settings>Applications>Manage Applications->All [tab]->Contacts Storage->Clear Data). Then my battery life was PERFECT. Android.process.acore completely dropped off the battery use list. Of course, I have no contacts on the phone at this point, but my battery life is great. :)

My theory is that Samsung's custom andress book is really screwed up, especially around the "linking" feature. It just churns and churns, eating battery. It gets worse the more contact books you sync.

The next thing I plan to try (when I have time) is to export my gmail contacts to a file, and then import them into the local contact storage. I will try to de-dup them before hand. I'll let you know what I find out.

-- mark (waitiing on CyanogenMod for Fascinate)

CORRECTION: I originally wrotet that this data applied to EC01. I am actually using EB01, not EC01. Message text above has been updated.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using his Tapatalk

Worked for lil ol me :)
Sent from my SCH-I500 using my Tapatalk

Nza

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
My brother is having the same issue with his phone, almost no usage and his phone will be dead in less than a day. He's rooted and running the latest superclean, but will have total powerdown in less than a day with next to no usage. I've tried the battery procedure linked above, with the terminal command with no luck. I'm going to try and run it again tonight and see if disabling his gps and wifi help any. After that, I'm out of suggestions for him :(

mstr_pixel

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Juice Defender Ultimate

I use my phone a lot. I charge it every night and I needed to charge it several times a day. Last Saturday night (its Friday now) I downloaded and installed Juice Defender Ultimate. Since then I've only had to charge my phone at night. Yesterday I used my phone more than a normal hard day on purpose to find out how well it works. When I went to bed around midnight last night I still had 35% batter life. The only complaint I've had with my fascinate is the battery life but that seems to be no longer a problem. Juice Defender Ultimate is around $5. There is a free version but I bought the Ultimate. It works great and I highly recomend it. I normally only have my gps on when I'm using it with maps and I normally have my wifi off unless I need it.

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I use my phone a lot. I charge it every night and I needed to charge it several times a day. Last Saturday night (its Friday now) I downloaded and installed Juice Defender Ultimate. Since then I've only had to charge my phone at night. Yesterday I used my phone more than a normal hard day on purpose to find out how well it works. When I went to bed around midnight last night I still had 35% batter life. The only complaint I've had with my fascinate is the battery life but that seems to be no longer a problem. Juice Defender Ultimate is around $5. There is a free version but I bought the Ultimate. It works great and I highly recomend it. I normally only have my gps on when I'm using it with maps and I normally have my wifi off unless I need it.

What is ur setup.... rom/kernel?

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... My wife's fascinate also. third "wife's Fascinate" in this thread with the same issue.
I *am* a wife, have a rooted phone, and my battery life isn't horrible, but isn't impressive. I usually have the phone set to Wi-Fi during the day when I'm home and plug it in when it's under 90%. When I leave the house I turn the Wi-Fi off so the phone isn't constantly looking for a connection. I checked and my phone was set to never turn off Wi-Fi automatically so I just changed it to when the screen is off. I don't know if that will help but I'll give it a try.

I recently took a road trip and noticed the battery drained fairly quickly. But the drive was mostly rural so probably the 3G signals weren't great.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I *am* a wife, have a rooted phone, and my battery life isn't horrible, but isn't impressive. I usually have the phone set to Wi-Fi during the day when I'm home and plug it in when it's under 90%. When I leave the house I turn the Wi-Fi off so the phone isn't constantly looking for a connection. I checked and my phone was set to never turn off Wi-Fi automatically so I just changed it to when the screen is off. I don't know if that will help but I'll give it a try.

I recently took a road trip and noticed the battery drained fairly quickly. But the drive was mostly rural so probably the 3G signals weren't great.

Setting the WiFi sleep policy to when screen is off should definitely help with battery life.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Is it normal for the display to take up such a high percentage of the battery use? I have attached a screenshot. Is that normal or is something going on? I know my Incredible never had the display listed so high.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Is it normal for the display to take up such a high percentage of the battery use? I have attached a screenshot. Is that normal or is something going on? I know my Incredible never had the display listed so high.

Completely normal. Mine is at 80% right now. Your Incredible didn't have a Super Amoled screen.

Reactions: MrBigFeathers

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again. I know the help you get on the forum is much better than the Incredible.

Which is why the Fascinate Forum is the best. I'm just continuing the tradition of the help I received when I first came here. You'll notice there are all kinds of people here who are doing the same thing thus continuing the tradition even further. It's great to see how everyone here chips in and helps each other.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
There is the kind of battery life I like to see.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

MrBigFeathers,

What app is that you are using to display your battery status in your notifications?

And what do you attribute your great battery life to? Thanks

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
MrBigFeathers,

What app is that you are using to display your battery status in your notifications?

And what do you attribute your great battery life to? Thanks

It's battery indicator pro. There is a free version too you just can't change the settings like color and whatnot. I don't know why the battery is doing that we'll. When the phone popup tells me it's at 100% the battery app only says 98% and it seems like it drops fast when using the browser. I was thinking I wasn't going to make it through the work day and there I was about 18 hours later with 10% left.

I didn't use it a ton yesterday. Responded to all texts, google talk messages, kik messages, 3 phone calls, checking facebook and twitter a few times, using Tapatalk, etc. Probably moderate use for me.

mstr_pixel

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
What is ur setup.... rom/kernel?

'not sure. My phone is not rooted. I have the 2.2 upgrade that I got a last month (or whenever it came out). I've had Juice Defender Ultimate a week now and I'm just thrilled with it. I charge my phone at night while I sleep and when I go to bed the next night I think I've had 30% or more of battery life. Today I used it quite a bit. Then tonight I was was waiting in the parking lot of a store for my wife. I used the phone the whole time on the net and some online apps. Before Juice Defender that in itself would have had my battery in the yellow or more likely in the red. But when I checked a little while ago I was still around 50%. So I'll say it again, I highly recommend Juice Defender Ultimate.