2.2 = Horrible battery life

OB1J3D1

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
All,

since 2.2 I'm getting HORRIBLE battery life. First day I was playing around with it looking for all the new 2.2 goodness.

But, today is normal usage.

I normally get almost 24 hours out of a charge. I'm in the yellow now after 9 hours.

Anyone else?

TSX05

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
yeah my battery life is taken a major nose dive.

used to be able to take it off charger 5:45am and still have battery at 10pm, not anymore, last two days after update have had to charge it at least once a day, WTH!!!!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
All,

since 2.2 I'm getting HORRIBLE battery life. First day I was playing around with it looking for all the new 2.2 goodness.

I normally get almost 24 hours out of a charge. I'm in the yellow now after 9 hours.

Anyone else?

Make sure GPS and wifi are turned off when you are not using them. They have turned out to be major battery hogs on Froyo.

Reactions: TheANARCHY

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
All,

Anyone else?

I just helped someone with the same issue earlier, there's a thread that can help you out...

I am having extremely good battery life personally. (I'm currently on stock ED01 updated via OTA.) There's a thread to help you try and sync your battery for better battery life, I'd give it a try and see if it helps. It worked great for me, my phone lasts over 24 hours with average use without going below 30% battery. Here's the thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...8399-how-discussion-improve-battery-life.html
Edit: Don't worry about the terminal emulator part if you're not rooted (completely stock) Just do the charging part at the beginning. Charge to 100%, turn off let it charge to 100% while powered off, then turn back on and let it charge back to 100%. I recommend the part about draining your battery down to 2-4% after you have charged to 100% then recharging to 100% once more as this will sync your battery with your phone. Like I said it worked great for me and my battery life is amazing! Just be sure to read the information in the link to better understand the procedure.

Good luck!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I just helped someone with the same issue earlier, there's a thread that can help you out...

I am having extremely good battery life personally. (I'm currently on stock ED01 updated via OTA.) There's a thread to help you try and sync your battery for better battery life, I'd give it a try and see if it helps. It worked great for me, my phone lasts over 24 hours with average use without going below 30% battery. Here's the thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...8399-how-discussion-improve-battery-life.html
Edit: Don't worry about the terminal emulator part if you're not rooted (completely stock) Just do the charging part at the beginning. Charge to 100%, turn off let it charge to 100% while powered off, then turn back on and let it charge back to 100%. I recommend the part about draining your battery down to 2-4% after you have charged to 100% then recharging to 100% once more as this will sync your battery with your phone. Like I said it worked great for me and my battery life is amazing! Just be sure to read the information in the link to better understand the procedure.

Good luck!

You're welcome everyone. And the part that is missing is step 4b after charging to a full 100%, run it down to about 5% with normal uninterrupted usage, then charge uninterrupted while on to 100%. That part does not actually sync the battery with the phone. It is the wiping of the battery stats that syncs the phone and the battery. That's why you wipe the battery stats only after doing the full, complete, three stage charge to a full 100%

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Make sure GPS and wifi are turned off when you are not using them. They have turned out to be major battery hogs on Froyo.

ive noticed turning off my wifi has greatly increased my poor battery life with 2.2 (i get great 3g in my area so i dont even need wifi on at home.. its honestly pretty much the same speed loading sites etc)

ill turn off the gps now also, going to be annoying to activate everytime i use it but i can probably get use to that pretty quickly if itll give me battery life like i had prior to 2.2

honestly.. i thought battery life was suppose to improve with 2.2

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
ive noticed turning off my wifi has greatly increased my poor battery life with 2.2 (i get great 3g in my area so i dont even need wifi on at home.. its honestly pretty much the same speed loading sites etc)

ill turn off the gps now also, going to be annoying to activate everytime i use it but i can probably get use to that pretty quickly if itll give me battery life like i had prior to 2.2

honestly.. i thought battery life was suppose to improve with 2.2

I personally feel it has improved significantly. Try the thread I linked previously. Gunnermike has put together a great thread on ways to improve battery life, be sure to thank him in his post :) I'm just the messenger lol

cs007

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Seems identical so far, still getting a little under 4 hours of screen time on a charge.

GPS/WIFI however seem to be using more juice then they used too.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
For those who arent rooted the battery calibration app will help by deleting the the battery stats and from there you can perform the method above which Sharky stated.

Thanks vi3tboiii54! That will be a handy app for rooted folks having battery life issues that want to give gunnermike's thread a try. I for one am having phenominal battery life on stock ED01 so I know it works.. but as always people's "mileage" will vary.

I'd like to also express that using a live wallpaper will significantly reduce battery faster, and as stated time and time again disable gps and wifi while not in use. It is also said that turning auto rotation off when not needed can help increase battery life as well.

When charging the battery to 100% don't fully trust that it is 100% full due to the pop up saying it's fully charged... get specific and go into settings>about phone>status and look at the battery level % to be completely sure it is fully charged. (will be 100%) Mine tends to stop at 98-99% sometimes, in which case I unplug and plug back in until it reaches 100%.

Last edited:

Big Z

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
My battery is getting ripped apart by my display(it used 10% of my battery life when it was on standby?!). I had it set at 24% brightness on 2.1. Now I have it set at 12% and it's still draining like mad.

For those who arent rooted the battery calibration app will help by deleting the the battery stats and from there you can perform the method above which Sharky stated.

Would you mind pointing out which app works for those of us who are unrooted? I searched the market, but to no avail.

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Turn off the data Roaming also. This helps me considerably. When service is weak, the phone tries to Roam data and sucks battery dry. I am running ED01 Debloated with SD

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
My battery is getting ripped apart by my display(it used 10% of my battery life when it was on standby?!). I had it set at 24% brightness on 2.1. Now I have it set at 12% and it's still draining like mad.

Would you mind pointing out which app works for those of us who are unrooted? I searched the market, but to no avail.

The battery calibration app is for UNROOTED users :)

Edit: Disregard the statement about that app being for unrooted users as I was mistaken, you must be ROOTED in order to use. As of right now I am unsure of an application that can wipe your battery stats without being rooted. I will keep an eye out tho.

Last edited:
Reactions: vi3tboiii54

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Just to further clarify for everyone. Whether you use the app vi3tboiii54 is referencing, or you do it through terminal emulator or adb, you should only wipe battery stats at the point where the battery is at a full, complete 100%, because when you wipe batt stats you are syncing up what your phone is showing as the % and what the battery is actually reporting as the %. You are letting the phone "know" in a sense that this point here is 100% charged.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Just to further clarify for everyone. Whether you use the app vi3tboiii54 is referencing, or you do it through terminal emulator or adb, you should only wipe battery stats at the point where the battery is at a full, complete 100%, because when you wipe batt stats you are syncing up what your phone is showing as the % and what the battery is actually reporting as the %. You are letting the phone "know" in a sense that this point here is 100% charged.

Thanks Landshark, one day I'll be able to clarify things as well as you do lol :)

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully not, because that would mean you have caught my OCD :p

Haha, trust me I caught it already. I love learning everything I have accessible to me within these forums and I'm very fond of paying it forward and helping people out whenever I can!

On a side note: The Battery Calibration app is actually for ROOTED users as I was led to believe it wasn't. Just downloaded and installed from market and you must have rooted your phone in order to use. So I think a little clean up is in order for this thread.

Reactions: vi3tboiii54

MistaDee

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible that with the juice defender app it could actually be worse for the phone? I used to use it pre 2.2 and when I had the wifi off having a running service not doing anything was actually worse for the battery it seemed.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible that with the juice defender app it could actually be worse for the phone? I used to use it pre 2.2 and when I had the wifi off having a running service not doing anything was actually worse for the battery it seemed.

It's very possible I would say. With it being an app and all any time it is running it's going to use the battery in some way shape or form. I personally believe the best way to save battery is just by minimizing how many apps/widgets etc you use and to be sure and close apps etc. that you do not need at the time. I cannot give you a very accurate answer in regards to juice defender due to the fact I've never used it myself. But just keep some of what I said in mind, it should help out. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad