I think I've seen this complaint before, but was wondering if there has been any official/unofficial update? Using it for navigation works, as does general searching, but trying to compose a text message is a no go. It always leaves the To: field blank and just puts everything in the body of the message. So if i say "send text message to John Doe" it ends up with just "to john doe" in the body of the message.
    04-23-2011 01:08 PM
    I have found when I enable the learning function, google voice gets better with time by taking into account the way I personally speak. I think it can be funny how it translates at times.
    04-23-2011 01:12 PM
    Slow down a little. It does work nice, but you have to slow down, Send text to.....John doe......hey how are you?
    04-23-2011 01:43 PM
    Doesn't matter how slowly I do it, it will never populate the To: field, just puts everything in the body of the message.
    04-23-2011 02:12 PM
    Doesn't matter how slowly I do it, it will never populate the To: field, just puts everything in the body of the message.
    Sorry, mine works when I slow down just a bit.
    04-23-2011 02:15 PM
    Mine works too.

Try just "message John Doe"
    04-23-2011 02:56 PM
    Still does it, puts the name in the message field. Strangely enough Vlingo seem to work. I don't know, it's weird.
    04-24-2011 02:45 PM
    Still does it, puts the name in the message field. Strangely enough Vlingo seem to work. I don't know, it's weird.
    You are not the only one with this issue. There was a time where the message action and the phone action worked great for me, and now they no longer do. I don't know when the problem started. I am rooted and on SC 2.9.1 Voodoo, but I had the problem for some time prior to this version.

I have the exact same issue - voice recognition quality is FINE - it understands me, but any voice action related to my contact list is messed up. Phone call attempts end up defaulting to a web search for the command, and the command is not acted upon. Text messages put the name in the message field, just like you stated.

I would love to find a fix for this. When it worked, Google Voice Actions was quite simply the best voice command system I've ever used.

Jack
    04-24-2011 11:00 PM
    You are not the only one with this issue. There was a time where the message action and the phone action worked great for me, and now they no longer do. I don't know when the problem started. I am rooted and on SC 2.9.1 Voodoo, but I had the problem for some time prior to this version.

I have the exact same issue - voice recognition quality is FINE - it understands me, but any voice action related to my contact list is messed up. Phone call attempts end up defaulting to a web search for the command, and the command is not acted upon. Text messages put the name in the message field, just like you stated.

I would love to find a fix for this. When it worked, Google Voice Actions was quite simply the best voice command system I've ever used.

Jack
    The voice commands work perfectly for me. I just say call....john....mobile and it pulls it right up. Now that I am on 2.2 it is a lot better. I think everyone is speaking a little too fast, the search will wait for you. Bing does not, but Google will wait for you as long as you are talking. It works really well.
    04-24-2011 11:26 PM
    The voice commands work perfectly for me. I just say call....john....mobile and it pulls it right up. Now that I am on 2.2 it is a lot better. I think everyone is speaking a little too fast, the search will wait for you. Bing does not, but Google will wait for you as long as you are talking. It works really well.
    I'd like to add that there are updates in the market for google search/voice search. These may help with the problems, it's worth a shot!
    04-24-2011 11:29 PM
    Thanks Curley, but trust me on this - I know how it works, I used to use it all the time when it was working. I have watched all the howto videos. I have loaded the updates from the Market. Nothing fixed the problem. It is a known issue. I don't know what happened to make it fail. When it did, I posted in the forums and was advised by Gunnermike53 and others that it is a known issue. I searched in Google and confirmed that many other users are affected by the issue that the OP described and by the similar issue that occurs when Google Voice Actions voice dialing commands are used. For those who have the issue, the main symptom is that the Google Voice Actions cannot seem to process the Contacts anymore when trying to execute voice actions.

I attached a screen capture that shows what happens when I give the voice command "Call Stephanie Anderson Mobile". The phone does a web search and gives me the option to call the closest matches it finds on the web (which are usually nowhere close to what I stated in the command). Sometimes it will just start dialing the nearest match if it seems to be a close enough fit. And below the "call these?" nonsensical web search results, I see a "web search" option I can tap to do a web search on the perfectly decoded voice command I stated.

For text messages, "Message Stephanie Anderson" always spawns a new text message with the To: field blank, and the perfectly decoded "Message Stephanie Anderson" or "Stephanie Anderson" placed neatly (and uselessly) in the message body, exactly as described by the OP.

I would love to find a solution for this but after hours reading unresolved Google bug reports and forum posts from others with the same problem, I gave up. When it worked, it was the best voice command system I've ever used. It puts Vlingo to total shame. Vlingo is so clunky in comparison to Google Voice Actions that I refuse to use it.

As far as I can tell, this is just yet another Google Android Experience thing that Verizon ruined by force-fitting their Bing garbage into the phone.

So, what version of 2.2 are you running? Are you rooted? Are you de-Binged? Maybe if it is working fine for you we can figure out what's different and the OP and I might be able to try some new fixes. Google Voice Actions is one of the main reasons why I went with Android, and I would love to get it working right.

Jack
    04-25-2011 12:27 AM
    Thanks Curley, but trust me on this - I know how it works, I used to use it all the time when it was working. I have watched all the howto videos. I have loaded the updates from the Market. Nothing fixed the problem. It is a known issue. I don't know what happened to make it fail. When it did, I posted in the forums and was advised by Gunnermike53 and others that it is a known issue. I searched in Google and confirmed that many other users are affected by the issue that the OP described and by the similar issue that occurs when Google Voice Actions voice dialing commands are used. For those who have the issue, the main symptom is that the Google Voice Actions cannot seem to process the Contacts anymore when trying to execute voice actions.

I attached a screen capture that shows what happens when I give the voice command "Call Stephanie Anderson Mobile". The phone does a web search and gives me the option to call the closest matches it finds on the web (which are usually nowhere close to what I stated in the command). Sometimes it will just start dialing the nearest match if it seems to be a close enough fit. And below the "call these?" nonsensical web search results, I see a "web search" option I can tap to do a web search on the perfectly decoded voice command I stated.

For text messages, "Message Stephanie Anderson" always spawns a new text message with the To: field blank, and the perfectly decoded "Message Stephanie Anderson" or "Stephanie Anderson" placed neatly (and uselessly) in the message body, exactly as described by the OP.

I would love to find a solution for this but after hours reading unresolved Google bug reports and forum posts from others with the same problem, I gave up. When it worked, it was the best voice command system I've ever used. It puts Vlingo to total shame. Vlingo is so clunky in comparison to Google Voice Actions that I refuse to use it.

As far as I can tell, this is just yet another Google Android Experience thing that Verizon ruined by force-fitting their Bing garbage into the phone.

So, what version of 2.2 are you running? Are you rooted? Are you de-Binged? Maybe if it is working fine for you we can figure out what's different and the OP and I might be able to try some new fixes. Google Voice Actions is one of the main reasons why I went with Android, and I would love to get it working right.

Jack
    Actually I'm on the exact same page as you, I'm having the same issues now that I've messed around with it. I am running completely stock right now and my best educated guess would be that having bing on the phone as well as google there is some cross-feed going on between them behind the scenes (on the phone) that is causing this issue. I'll have to flash to a custom rom that is de-binged and further test this theory tho. But yes I totally understand what you're talking about. We'll get this figured out by trial and error
    04-25-2011 12:33 AM
    I did have that problem on the leaked Froyo, but my wifes phone running Bing, her Google voice commands works fine. I hit the button and say it slow. It might be an isolated issue that is minimal. But when I tried to show a friend on his vibrant when he got Froyo, it did not work since I went too fast. Even in my friend nexus S with Gb, I spoke too fast for it to understand.

I could never use it to dial or text, just search the web. I am using stock, debloated, debunged, deodexed. Maybe the Bing has an odex file that is screwing it up.

Clear all cache and run a permissions fix in cwr if you are familiar with that and see if it helps.

I am sorry, I don't have an answer. Mine did not work right in the leak, but is functioning now.
    04-25-2011 08:32 AM
    I did have that problem on the leaked Froyo, but my wifes phone running Bing, her Google voice commands works fine. I hit the button and say it slow. It might be an isolated issue that is minimal. But when I tried to show a friend on his vibrant when he got Froyo, it did not work since I went too fast. Even in my friend nexus S with Gb, I spoke too fast for it to understand.

I could never use it to dial or text, just search the web. I am using stock, debloated, debunged, deodexed. Maybe the Bing has an odex file that is screwing it up.

Clear all cache and run a permissions fix in cwr if you are familiar with that and see if it helps.

I am sorry, I don't have an answer. Mine did not work right in the leak, but is functioning now.
    Thanks Curley. I didn't have it until I rooted. I think I first noticed I had it while running one of the Superclean 2.1 releases, and I lost it when I went to the Froyo Supercleans, but I'm not sure.
    04-25-2011 09:43 AM
    Glad I'm not the only one with this problem at least. I've tried speaking slower, but then it thinks I've stopped speaking and goes to decode what I've said. Vlingo works well at least, so I've got that for now.
    04-25-2011 10:15 AM
    On the Community Rom works brilliantly!!!! Send texts and do it all now!
    04-25-2011 09:17 PM
    On the Community Rom works brilliantly!!!! Send texts and do it all now!
    INDEED! I just updated to the EC01 modem and the new Community ROM, including a full data/cache/dalvik wipe, and IT WORKS AGAIN.

Awesome and thanks for the update.
    04-26-2011 12:59 AM
    I'll try the new Comm rom sometime this week, good to know it works in that rom at least.
    04-26-2011 08:40 AM
    Hey. I'm new to the Android OS. I still have a lot to figure out. I am having this same issue and it seems you have found a fix but I have no clue what you mean by community Rom or EC01. Please help me.
    04-30-2011 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD