Possible Alarm Clock bug

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I think I may have found a bug with the alarm clock in the official ED01 Froyo OTA update. If I go to make an alarm and it's set to repeat once only and I set it for a designated time such as 1:30pm it is setting it for 6 days some odd hours and minutes from now instead of tomorrow at 1:30 pm. I know it never used to do this pre-ED01. I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem or is willing to try it out and post your findings here. Thank you.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Some people have mentioned this bug in previous releases, but I have never experienced it myself. I don't recall if there was a fix or workaround for that particular issue

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Some people have mentioned this bug in previous releases, but I have never experienced it myself. I don't recall if there was a fix or workaround for that particular issue

Yeah I don't either, that's why I figured it wouldn't hurt to put up a new post about this. It's the first I've experienced it, I don't think it's a major bug, but a bug nonetheless. Thank you for the reply sir! :)

corman930

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I think I may have found a bug with the alarm clock in the official ED01 Froyo OTA update. If I go to make an alarm and it's set to repeat once only and I set it for a designated time such as 1:30pm it is setting it for 6 days some odd hours and minutes from now instead of tomorrow at 1:30 pm. I know it never used to do this pre-ED01. I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem or is willing to try it out and post your findings here. Thank you.

Experiencing the same thing. Worked correctly pre-ED01. I set an alarm and have disabled it about 30 minutes before it was set to go off the past two mornings and it still alarms. Anyone else experiencing this?

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Experiencing the same thing. Worked correctly pre-ED01. I set an alarm and have disabled it about 30 minutes before it was set to go off the past two mornings and it still alarms. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have not experienced that particular problem, just the one I originally posted. Most likely this and some of the other reported bugs are just the likely bugs with the new update. Which in turn means they will eventually be pushing a maintaince update for some (hopefully all) of the reported bugs thus far.

Raigne

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the bug when I was running SC 2.9.2, and it's still there on ED01. I had to set up alarm repeats. It works, but having that alarm icon on all the time is really irritating.

proview3r

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Alarm / snooze

I have a problem where the alarm isn't going into snooze mode.. It rings the first time and I select the snooze button on the right side of the screen and it never rings again. Ended up sleeping an extra 45 minutes.. arggg. This never happened before the OTA Froyo update.

Anyone have this problem?

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

This is the bug that I get too. I'll wake up before the alarm, turn it off, but the alarm still goes off at the time I had it set for. It did this before the update too.

Shoesmom

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Also having alarm issues

I use my alarm regularly and have never had a problem. After getting the froyo update, I set my alarm as usual without really looking at the settings and woke up 1-1/2 hours late for work!

Say you are setting it on Monday night to go off on Tuesday morning, it tells you it will go off in 6 days - it wants to actually have the alarm go off on a Monday because that is the day you are setting it. I couldn't change the day either. I don't work every day but I had to set the alarm settings to every weekday in order to get it to go off on the days I work. I just have to remember to shut it off on the days I don't have to go in to work. It's a workaround for the time being. I hope they fix it soon.

Hope this helps.

drbg781

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a problem where the alarm isn't going into snooze mode.. It rings the first time and I select the snooze button on the right side of the screen and it never rings again. Ended up sleeping an extra 45 minutes.. arggg. This never happened before the OTA Froyo update.

Anyone have this problem?

I have the same problem, never happened before I updated to Superclean, continued with ED01 OTA.

alexandercase

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
same thing here, it is a pain. i just set it for everyday and then change it at night as need be. still very annoying. the alarm clock should be a basic function that shouldn't be having issues like this.

FIX IT!

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks for the feedback everyone! I appreciate it. Seems we have confirmed that this is a bug, so hopefully vzw/samsung are aware and I'm sure there will end up being some sort of maintaince update to ED01. Just hope this and the other reported bugs get cleared up with it. (When and if that happens. Can't actually 100% expect it lol)

Raigne

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Okay. It took me way too long to track down an eclair version of a fascinate ROM that came in a zip, but it was worth it.

You need clockpackage.apk, which I have conveniently uploaded here: ClockPackage.apk

Stick it on your SD card, use root explorer to move it to /system/app and you have a properly functioning alarm clock again. Which means samsung screwed with the app, and it's not something outside interfering with its functionality, right? Whatever, I'm just happy I could fix it. :\

Edit to add: It appears that while this APK fixes the issues with the alarm clock, the timer no longer has audio.

Last edited:
Reactions: FearTheGhost13

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay. It took me way too long to track down an eclair version of a fascinate ROM that came in a zip, but it was worth it.

You need clockpackage.apk, which I have conveniently uploaded here: ClockPackage.apk

Stick it on your SD card, use root explorer to move it to /system/app and you have a properly functioning alarm clock again. Which means samsung screwed with the app, and it's not something outside interfering with its functionality, right? Whatever, I'm just happy I could fix it. :\

Great work Raigne! Yeah figured it was something they changed, but it was definitely a bad change on their part if so. Thanks for the link, that'll help people out.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Any way to do this for those of us who are not rooted?

Raigne

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Any way to do this for those of us who are not rooted?

Unfortunately no. You need root access to be able to see the system folder and have read/write privileges. Rooting your phone is really easy though. I was really resistant to the idea at first. I got my Fascinate in November last year, and I didn't root or rom it until March. When I finally did, I wondered what the hell I'd been so worried about. :p

If you still don't want to, you'll either have to live with it and wait for Verizon to release an update (heh... heh heh...) or find a third-party app that will do it.

DerekCA

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have had these alarm problems as well and have had to delete the alarm entry and reenter it and then it worked fine.

DerekCA

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The app TuneIn Radio has an alarm feature that you can use to start your favorite radio station which is pretty cool and has worked well but if your data wasn't available for some reason I don't know if it would replace the missing data with an alarm beep.

twisted_pear

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Next Day Alarm Fail

I was so happy to get the Froyo OTA update yesterday, but quite vexed to nearly miss work this morning :mad:. Good old fashioned alarm clocks... they still work.

In the past, if I set the alarm for say 8AM, and it was after 8AM on a given day, it would set the alarm for 8AM tomorrow. However, the clock no longer has the intelligence to rollover like this, so if you do the above example, it will do 8AM a week from now.

Thanks for the fix gents!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star