Google search on the search key?

JuliaRue2

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I tried looking for this answer but all the threads I pulled up were pre-Froyo. I looked through the options I could think to check on my own as well and I still couldn't find anything.

Is there a way after the Froyo update, without using something like LauncherPro or rooting, that I can get the magnifying glass button/key that is on my phone to use Google instead of Bing!?

After the update, I was able to put a Google search widget on my home screen, but I'd like the added ease of being able to search without switching screens. Not to mention it'd be nice not to have Bing's license agreement pop up every time I press the key by accident with my thumb, since I refuse to hit "agree". :)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am not totally sure, but almost sure that there is no way without using a custom ROM. Most of those are mapped to Google, but you are essentially talking about completely stock so no, Bing paid for VWZ to have that there, and it is there unless you change it

PreceptorJR

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the Google Search bar/microphone on my homepage. I just dropped the "Bing" toolbar into the trash bin and activated the Google widget by putting my finger on the home screen for three seconds and selecting "Google Search" or "Google Voice Search" (something like that). As for the web brower, I think Bing is always the default but you can select Google.