Its May 2 still no fascinate froyo

patsfan

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
DL09 ODIN file

Preperation for odin(Just dont use the DI01 file provided, use the DL09 file i just provided)

Visual directions on use ODIN

1.) If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
2.) If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
3.) Remove battery from phone.
4.) Launch ODIN on PC.
5.) Plug USB cable into phone.
6.) Plug your Fascinate into the PC via USB cable.
7.) Press and hold the volume-down key until you see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode.(Please see 2nd picture in post #5)You can now release the volume key. At this point you will see a yellow com port in the upper left hand corner of the Odin applicate. .(Please see 3rd picture in post #5)

8.) Click on the PDA button in ODIN

Triple check that you pushed the PDA button. Do NOT click the Phone button p If you choose Phone, you will have bought your Fascinate a one-way ticket to hell.

9.) Choose the DL09 tar file you downloaded & click the Start button.(this should take approx 3 to 6mins)
10.) Phone will power down when finished.
11.) Remove USB cable.
12.) Reinsert battery.
13.) Power phone and wait to boot approx 4mins

Do I need to root before following this procedure, or will these steps be enough alone to take me to DL09?

Thanks again for the help.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Do I need to root before following this procedure, or will these steps be enough alone to take me to DL09?

Thanks again for the help.

You do not need to root beforehand. The steps outlined will be enough to take you to stock DL09

JClark

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't need to do a factory reset. You should be able to save the ED01 update.zip file as simply "update" on the base or root of your sd card, boot to stock blue (2e) recovery, scroll to apply sdcard:update.zip, hit the home soft key, and just let the update run.

Yes I followed the above process and the update failed. After about 10 seconds into the update, it stalls and a triangle with an exclamation point appears. That's why I was wondering if a factory wipe would make a difference. There are two options:
wipe data/factory reset and
wipe cache partition

Will either of these help prep the phone for a successful Froyo update?
Thanks

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes I followed the above process and the update failed. After about 10 seconds into the update, it stalls and a triangle with an exclamation point appears. That's why I was wondering if a factory wipe would make a difference. There are two options:
wipe data/factory reset and
wipe cache partition

Will either of these help prep the phone for a successful Froyo update?
Thanks

When you placed the update file on your sdcard, where did you place it?

JClark

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
When you placed the update file on your sdcard, where did you place it?

It's on the root of my sd card - update.zip
The update appears to begin properly, but then aborts about 1/3 of the way in. The same thing happened when trying to download from about phone/system updates/check new.

Thanks for your help! I'm hoping to get this sorted out without having to trade in the phone.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It's on the root of my sd card - update.zip
The update appears to begin properly, but then aborts about 1/3 of the way in. The same thing happened when trying to download from about phone/system updates/check new.

Thanks for your help! I'm hoping to get this sorted out without having to trade in the phone.

If you have to try again, I would download the update.zip file again. You may have simply gotten a bad download.

Reactions: JClark

JClark

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
If you have to try again, I would download the update.zip file again. You may have simply gotten a bad download.

I re-downloaded the update.zip file. It was exactly the same size as the prior one. I replaced the one on my SD card and tried again.
I still cannot update to Froyo. The little Android character is there and the yellow bar gets about a third of the way there, when it stops, and the triangle with exclamation point appears.
Any ideas?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I re-downloaded the update.zip file. It was exactly the same size as the prior one. I replaced the one on my SD card and tried again.
I still cannot update to Froyo. The little Android character is there and the yellow bar gets about a third of the way there, when it stops, and the triangle with exclamation point appears.
Any ideas?

Download this pit file. place the DL09 file in the PDA and the atlas in the pit section and in the upper left hand corner it says repartition check that off . then click start
Pit file

JClark

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Download this pit file. place the DL09 file in the PDA and the atlas in the pit section and in the upper left hand corner it says repartition check that off . then click start
Pit file

Hello DroidXcon,
Thanks. Since I have never rooted, etc. your instructions are not as clear to me as they probably should be, so I have questions.
"Download this pit file." - done.
"place the DL09 file" - is the DL09 file the update.zip file?
" in the PDA" - Does it go on the SD card or do I somehow put it in the internal memory? (which I'm not sure how to do!)
"and the atlas in the pit section" - I have no idea what the pit section is
" in the upper left hand corner it says repartition check that off " is that when I reboot in recover mode?
"then click start" - will this be obvious once I've done the prior steps properly?

Whew! You can tell I do NOT know what I'm doing here, so I feel bad asking you to clarify, but maybe it will help others who are in a similar situation.
Regards,
Jim

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello DroidXcon,
Thanks. Since I have never rooted, etc. your instructions are not as clear to me as they probably should be, so I have questions.
"Download this pit file." - done.
"place the DL09 file" - is the DL09 file the update.zip file?
" in the PDA" - Does it go on the SD card or do I somehow put it in the internal memory? (which I'm not sure how to do!)
"and the atlas in the pit section" - I have no idea what the pit section is
" in the upper left hand corner it says repartition check that off " is that when I reboot in recover mode?
"then click start" - will this be obvious once I've done the prior steps properly?

Whew! You can tell I do NOT know what I'm doing here, so I feel bad asking you to clarify, but maybe it will help others who are in a similar situation.
Regards,
Jim

Keep the pit file on your computer
The DL09 file is in post #16 on page 2 of this thread. Download it to and keep it on your computer.
Power down your phone, pull the battery out. Open ODIN, hold the volume down button, plug phone into computer with usb cable that came with the phone. Look at ODIN, above the PDA button is the PIT button. Click on that, go to where the Atlas 2.2 file is, double click on it to populate the PIT box. Click on the PDA button, go to where the DL09 file is, double click on it to populate the PDA box. Look to the left of the PDA and PIT buttons, you will see three check boxes. The farthest one to the left says re-partition, put a check mark next to that, click the start button. Sit back and wait for it to finish.

JClark

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Keep the pit file on your computer
The DL09 file is in post #16 on page 2 of this thread. Download it to and keep it on your computer.
Power down your phone, pull the battery out. Open ODIN, hold the volume down button, plug phone into computer with usb cable that came with the phone. Look at ODIN, above the PDA button is the PIT button. Click on that, go to where the Atlas 2.2 file is, double click on it to populate the PIT box. Click on the PDA button, go to where the DL09 file is, double click on it to populate the PDA box. Look to the left of the PDA and PIT buttons, you will see three check boxes. The farthest one to the left says re-partition, put a check mark next to that, click the start button. Sit back and wait for it to finish.

Awesome! I'l try it right now and report back...

JClark

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
About 12 minutes in and nothing yet. just the big yellow triangle on the phone saying Downloading... in yellow Do not turn off Target!!!

See attachment for the ODIN screen. Did I mess up somehow?

dncrwyn

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Went to the Verizon Store today. They did a factory reset and froyo started to download. They said that one of my apps was blocking the ability of the phone to download the new software.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
About 12 minutes in and nothing yet. just the big yellow triangle on the phone saying Downloading... in yellow Do not turn off Target!!!

See attachment for the ODIN screen. Did I mess up somehow?

You need to download and install the samsung drivers, so your computer can recognize your phone when it's connected via usb. HERE Follow that link to download and install the drivers. When in Odin the box toward the top left should turn yellow and say "COM #" When that appears that means it has recognized your phone.

JClark

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Went to the Verizon Store today. They did a factory reset and froyo started to download. They said that one of my apps was blocking the ability of the phone to download the new software.
Good - I'm glad you got the update, and that the Verizon store was helpful.
I did a factory reset and still couldn't get the update to complete. So I went to the Verizon store and they refused to help me. They told me I had to wait for Froyo to be pushed out to my phone. When I told them that was not my understanding they called Samsung cust. service for me who then put me on hold for over half an hour. I never did speak with them.

JClark

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
You need to download and install the samsung drivers, so your computer can recognize your phone when it's connected via usb. HERE Follow that link to download and install the drivers. When in Odin the box toward the top left should turn yellow and say "COM #" When that appears that means it has recognized your phone.

Will do. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34